Author Topic: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm  (Read 17761 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »

There are many eagle nests on Hornby Island other than the eagle cam nest. Doug has done an excellent map of the ones he knew of when he wrote his book "The Eagles of Hornby Island" published in 2008. Not all of the nests on the map were used this year, & there are some nests that are active that aren*t displayed on the map. Doug*s eagle nest map

Heads up With all my fotos, if you click on them, you will get a larger version. Also, any bold blue type is a link that you can click on.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »
i got a call about an eagle nest yesterday morning that had two eaglets visible in it!
i was invited to come over to see, any time!!!   :biggrin6
So, over Dooki & i went with my camera!
i spotted the two eaglets right away, & there was a parent on the nest with them.
The other adult was airing out in a nearby perch tree on the water.
Had they been fishing, got wet, & were drying their feathers?
i took fotos of the eaglets, then the perched adult, back to the eaglets, back to the adult.
When i got back to the eaglets again, what did i see there???
One of them was branching!!   :eceek

july 4 2010 13:00 - Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm eaglet branching! - 0418

july 4 2010 11:47 - two eaglets on nest 6, 7 Savoie Farm - 0226

wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:21 PM »
Booni, this is a very interesting development and a mystery to be solved!   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:55:25 PM »
Today I went to see nests #6 and 7 with Booni. The nests are on private property, overlooking the water. We feel very grateful to be given permission to go observe these nests. It's a beautiful, very peaceful setting.

Nests 6 and 7 are very close together, but only one is occupied. According to Doug, there was a third nest right next to nest #6, but the tree broke off. The eagles then moved to nest #6, then a few years later to nest #7 (do I have it all straight, Booni?)

As we approached the nest, we could see movement, lots of it. Then an eaglet appeared on a branch!

Branching eaglet, July 5 2010 (clickable picture)

When I posted this picture on the chat, it aroused lots of interest because this eaglet looks so different from Phoenix. Then Booni posted the stunningly detailed pictures from the preceding post. Ajl noted that both eaglets have orange commissures (the angle where the upper and lower part of the beak meet). The usual colour is yellow. This and other details gives a very different appearance to these eaglets.

Booni saw both parents, and they're both normal-looking bald eagles... though the adult we heard calling a few times today sounded very different from other bald eagles I've heard here.

To be continued!
Wren

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:04:21 AM »
Wren, thanks for posting your excellent picture and your comments about Nest #7's eagles and the story behind it.  I love learning about these details of life on Hornby Island.

Doug, Sheila, Booni, you and the other Hornby eagles friends who live on or visit Hornby Island are helping us have a wonderful and unique real-life experience that we could not get any other way!   :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:11:45 AM »
Yesterday, i was back on my mission to visit Nest #6/7 to see what the eaglets were up to.
Dooki & i headed out on the bicycle.
You go down a long driveway, then there is a beautiful yellow grassy field full of cow plops & yellow dandelions full of bees.
The silence is lovely.
There are many trees of different types on a high bank looking out over the water.
My favourites are the Arbutus trees.
The nest trees are huge & gorgeous.
i saw an adult in the usual perch tree.
i was scanning the trees for a view of the nest, when what did i see???  :eceek
A tall broken off tree with two eaglets in it!
So this nest*s eaglets have fledged!
One was on the top of the tree, the other very close to the top, lower down.
They both watched me come closer.
There was a Merlin flying around in circles, i wondered if they were harassing the eaglets in their tree.
i set up my camera & got some fotos before the one at the top of the tree went screeping off to the water & along the bank & back again & landed on the nest tree on a perch branch.
There were three times where they launched off & let the whole world know they were flying by screeping away as they flew.
The adult left the perch tree once & flew back again.
There is a maple, i believe, in the field, & that is where i left Dooki & the bike, in the shade.
A male White Crowned Sparrow was chipping at me from the tree branches the whole time i was there.
Go away! he kept saying!
Cheeky fella.  :eclove
At one point i heard a slop slop slop sound coming from the beach.
What the heck is that???
i ran to the edge of the bank & looked over.
A family of otters!
There was a parent & three little ones & i watched them with my camera as they ran from the bank to the water.
i hope the fotos of them turn out!
This is a lovely spot.
i could*ve stayed there all day...  
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:30 AM »
Booni, I love your descriptions of what you see and do!  They are so vivid, it's almost like being there with you.  (Don't we wish?!)  Can't wait to see the photos you took of the eaglets and the otter family.   :eclove  

What a wonderful place to live for someone who enjoys the outdoors, wildlife and photography!  Always something new to see there.   :nod2

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:58:29 AM »
 :eclove What an exciting outing!! Cant wait to see your pics  :nod2  !!

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »
Wow Booni, I know I could of stayed all day!!! Sounds so beautiful and can't wait to see photos!!!

Offline lcyjan

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »
How lucky of you get to see all the activities of wildlife near you!    I look forward to see all the photos!  thank you for sharing!!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »
Okay, here is a video to go with the observations above.
Here you see BOTH fledged Eaglets of Nest #6/7, in a perch tree near the Nest.
At one point, one of them does a shuggle.
If you don*t know what a shuggle is, you can look it up in the Diction-aerie(click here)

july 25 2010 13:45 - Nest # 6/7 fledged Eaglets

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELgYpDBo2A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELgYpDBo2A</a>
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »
Here is the Eaglet who flew to the Nest Tree.
They are perched on a branch above the Nest.
At one point in the video, you hear the adult call out.
You can also hear the male White-Crowned Sparrow chip-chipping at me in the background!  :eclove

july 25 2010 14:03 - Nest # 6/7 Eaglet on Nest Tree perch branch

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNzF-BLzk4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNzF-BLzk4</a>
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
The Nest Tree is on a high cliff overlooking the beach & the water.
A ways to the left of this Tree is a tall dead tree that has a broken top.
It is a Tree that i often see an adult in.
Here is the adult in this tree, perched, & then they fly away.

july 25 2010 14:24 - Nest # 6/7 adult in waterside perch tree

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg4_WRPSUi8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg4_WRPSUi8</a>
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
Booni, thank you for posting these videos for us to watch and to listen to, also!  It's nice to be able to see and hear healthy eaglets doing what young ones do...screep, flap, screep... :biggrin6

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
july 25 2010 14:26 Nest #6/7 Eaglet on Nest Tree perch branch

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j9F7CweBrA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j9F7CweBrA</a>
wooohoooo!