Author Topic: Phipp*s Point Nest  (Read 8330 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Phipp*s Point Nest
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:23:43 AM »
A place to post fotos & information to do with Phipp*s Point Nest. Doug*s map of all the Hornby nests is here.

Phipp*s Point Nest isn*t on Doug*s map. When Doug was documenting all the nests on the island, this one wasn*t there. So this must be a newer nest. We heard reports of it from people living in the neighbourhood, so winterwren went to investigate & found it for us! If you look at the map, you will see Phipp*s Point on the west/left side of the island. The nest is just above the Point & to the right, right beside the road, but on the water.

Heads up With all my fotos, if you click on them, you will get a larger version. Also, any bold blue type is a link that you can click on.
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Phipp*s Point Nest
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »
Ok, looks like I have time to post these pictures at last... Doug mentioned this new nest when we visited him, with Booni and Orovalaz and Madrona. So in the early evening of June 11, I rode my bike to the west side of the island to look for it. Just past nest #4, I slowed down, examining the tree tops. Then I heard a screep!! Really near.

I came upon a marvellous scene. One eagle on a seaward branch, watching. And a nest - right above the road but invisible from most angles. On it, movement, lots of it. I had my camera out before I could even sort out what I was seeing.
Not two chicks, no: Mom feeding one beautiful chick with big eyes, while dad watched over them.

Here is the family scene: Dad Phipps Point on branch; Mom Phipps Point feeding eaglet on nest.

Closer: Mom Phipps Point feeding chick...

I watched until the light started to fade.... Did not see any sign of another chick. Then I moved further down the road to look at the nest from different angles... Mom Phipps Point had finished feeding her little one and was watching me:

Here's a photo of the nest tree... It's right on the road! cars and big freight trucks pass directly below. Ivy growing on the trunk just like at nest #4:

What amazes me is that this nest is less than 500 metres from nest #4. There seem to be no territorial conflicts. Isn't that close?

That's all for now!
Wren

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »
Winterwren, another nest. That is wonderful.  The island has so many nests, it makes one wonder what is so special about the trees etc. there? Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing the sighting with us.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »
On our recent visit to Hornby Island, I was lucky enough to spend some time with Winterwren.  She is a wonderful person and so kind to share some of her favorite island nest spots!  And, as an added bonus, Fol-di-rol was visiting as well and I met her at Winterwren's.  btw, Winterwren has a great garden, with lots of good food to eat

Anyway, Winterwren took Foldi and me out in the early afternoon on June 17th, 2010.  Our second stop was the Phipp's Point nest.  This nest is right next to the road.  We stood across the road to get pictures.  I was able to capture some of the juvenile in the nest.  We did not see an adult, as I recall

Hope you like the photos, I hope to learn the clickable trick, but just not happening today and I am uncertain about trying the new flickr version yet.    And the photos do look better in large/original, but I have posted medium here.

Phipp's Point nest eaglet

Eaglet in Phipp's Point nest

More of the Phipp's Point juvenile

Look at the cute little feathers. Phipp's Point juvvie

Looking cute, Phipp's Point eaglet

I am loving the feathers, Phipp's Point juvenile

Flowers by road near Phipp's Point nest 
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »
Clickable photo of the juvenile at Phipp's Point nest.

light was not the best, but I like the feather silhouette
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:46:35 AM »

Excellent luv!
It*s hard to get the detail, when you*re photographing t he dark side of the eaglet.
Happens to me all the time too!
wooohoooo!

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
Hi LTB:

Lovely to see your pictures of #4, Phipps Point and Shinglespit nests.  That was a fun day and it was good to spend some time with you.  I knew you and Winter would have great pics, and thatís why I didnít include any in my Hornby Island report.

fol-di-rol

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »
Looks like the Phipps Point eaglet has fledged!

I checked this nest at about 8:30 this morning. There was nothing... This surprised me because the eaglet of that nest is always easy to spot. I had checked this nest regularly and had always found that eaglet standing on the nest - never branching. (Booni should have some nice pictures somewhere... hint, hint!)

Then I made my way along the road towards nest #4. I heard an adult calling and stopped in my tracks!

Halfway between the Phipps Point nest and nest #4, there was an adult perched on top of a tree. It was looking down to the side. From that area I could hear screeps!

Try as I might, I could not spot the eaglet. Was it from the Phipps Point nest, or from nest #4? It was about halfway between the two. But I've always seen the #4 eaglet on the far side of nest#4... and the adults tend to perch that way also.

While I was watching with my binoculars, one of the neighbours stopped by. He said he had seen the Phipps Point eaglet branching just above the nest and flappercizing a few days ago.

Then another neighbour stopped by! This man has been a bird watcher for years and years and has been a very reliable source of information. He said that he had watched the Phipps Poing eagles land in his field, grab a talonful of grass, and jump up and down to pull out the grass. They even did this last week. He's also watched them jump up and down on dead branches to break them off the tree, and take them away to the nest.

I asked him how the two pairs interact... Phipps Point and #4 nests are so close together! He said that once in a while he brings some fish heads to the beach below the Phipps Point nest (the age-old tradition of offering food to the neighbourhood eagles is alive and well, as you see...). When he does that, he sees adults from BOTH nests come and grab their share, without fuss. The #4 adults don't hang around, they just fly in and snatch their share; this raises no protest from the Phipps Point pair!
Sometimes he sees territorial aerobatics between the two nests, but "on the whole, they seem to have it worked out."
 :biggrin3
Wren

Offline neBunny

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
Once again I am in awe of all the work done on this island by the folks there for the benifit of the eagles and us "outsiders" who can only wish we
were there.  It helps to see the other sites and know that other eaglets are doing well and helps with the hurt of losing our Phoenix...Thanks you all for your wonderful photos..
Pat

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »
Hello Pat,
My hope it that this can inspire you, and others, to become observers in your own neighbourhood and to learn about the birds and critters in your own ecosystem. I'm trying to document, not only what I see, but also the very process of learning to see.  :ecsmile  I would love for this to catch on elsewhere!

It's important to learn the intricate interconnectedness of the natural world if we want our society to change its attitudes towards it.... And it's also an amazing thing to do at the personal level: once you start looking, the whole world becomes filled with wonders.

Wren

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 01:16:35 AM »
Winterwren, thanks for telling us about the two pairs of eagles whose nests are nearby and who share the fish heads that are put out for them.  Wonderful to see that people on Hornby Island care so much about the eagles there!   :ecsmile

I luv reading your reports and looking at your photos.  It helps fill in the picture of what is happening in that eco-system.  Any more pictures you can take of the wildflowers, plants, rocks and other features would be nice to see, also.  It's as if we are there with you, one step removed.   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir