Author Topic: Cooks' Corner  (Read 119095 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Cooks' Corner
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:58 AM »
A place to share your favorite recipes.  Please be sure to include the following information, if possible, so that we have a standard format for ease in use.  Thank you! :eclove

1) Name of recipe
2) Number of servings
3) Ingredients
4) Instructions (preparation, oven temp, etc.)
5) Special tips or variations you suggest, family history about this recipe/food, etc.

Many thanks and happy eating!   :heart

Note:  If the recipe you want to share is copyrighted and it is located on another site, please be sure to observe copyright laws and restrictions on that site and also give appropriate credit when posting a link on this thread, instead of the actual recipe.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:35:50 PM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Cooks' Corner
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
Tips and Techniques about food, cooking and related topics.  

Recipe Conversion Calculators:

1. Standard Conversion Tables
http://www.wwrecipes.com/convert.htm

2. OnlineConversion.com:                   

http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm

3.  BBC Recipe Weights and Measures Converter -  UK < > US:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/converter_index.shtml

- - - - - -
Food history, culinary dictionary, herbs & spices etc.
 http://whatscookingamerica.net/  [contributed by Passerine]

- - - - -

Tips for Making Good Soups:
From About.com ~
http://homecooking.about.com/cs/atozfoodindex/ht/best_soup.htm

- - - - -

Recipes, cooking tips and information(contributed by AJL)
http://www.cookuk.co.uk/

Example: Caster sugar:
http://www.cookuk.co.uk/techniques/CookingTerms/caster-superfine-sugar.htm
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:50:29 PM by BBE »

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »
Ginny’s Cornbread

This is an old family recipe that my sister-in-law made for us at Thanksgiving time. It's been in her family for many years and is quite an unusual and very good coarse cornbread. We ate it with chili my brother made and it was a wonderful family lunch, as a change from all the turkey!

Servings:  about 6- 8

Mix together in a sifter:

1 generous cup cornmeal (I use a coarse meal which means I end up throwing out the last couple of table spoons from the sifter because it's TOO coarse)

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
after they're sifted, add
1 stick melted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
about 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk to thin the batter to a cake batter-like thickness.

Cook at any temp between 325 F and 375 F until the edges are showing a little brown and a knife comes out moist but clean.

Enjoy

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
This is one of my favorite recipes. It can be cooked either of two ways...it can be cooked in the oven or in a crockpot.

Easy and Delicious Beef Stew (Casserole version):

(Serves 4-5) *

Ingredients:

3 lbs. stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces (cubed)

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

3/4 C. red wine (I use Burgundy.)

1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix.

1 4-oz. can whole mushrooms, drained (optional)

Preparation:

Combine everything in a casserole with a lid.

Cover and bake in 325 F oven for 3 hours or until tender.

Serve over rice or noodles.

(* You can increase the amount of meat --another 1/2 lb. or so-- and it will be okay.)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »
Homestyle Chuck Roast

This is a recipe that I used to make often in cool weather. It tastes even better the next day, as these things often do.

3 lb. chuck roast
flour (for browning meat)
1 T. vegetable oil
1/3 cup soy sauce (I use lower sodium kind)
1/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup water
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
4 to 6 White Rose potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (potatoes for boiling, not for baking like Russets)
4 to carrots, peeled and cut into pieces (or use baby raw, peeled carrots)

Dredge the meat in the flour and brown on both sides in the hot oil in a Dutch oven.
Mix the soy sauce, wine and water together and add to the browned meat in the Dutch oven.

Baste the meat with some of the soy sauce mixture and then add the onions and celery, gently stirring them into the liquid and put some on top of the meat.

Let simmer, covered, for one hour, and add potatoes and carrots, pushing them down into the hot liquid. Cover, bring back to a simmer and continue to cook for another hour or until meat and vegetable are tender.

It's good cold or hot the next day, too! (Serves 4 to 5)

(This recipe can be enlarged easily by increasing the amount of meat and liquids used, proportionally.)

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 05:44:39 PM »
Thank you Tiger! 

Now I am hungry again!  Thank you for NOT posting a recipe for Meatloaf. :nope  It is not my friend, as you know.

Hugs,
Rajame
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »
Rajame, please don't despair.  I'll send you a very good meatloaf recipe soon.  It's easy and very good!   :ecsmile

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
Just for fun...

Breakfast in our hotel in Beijing, China - 2006

We had many choices from a large buffet, with both Chinese and Western-style foods.  I ate way too much!  
:rotf1

Offline only_an_egg

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:12:30 PM »
Here is one of my favorite recipes, from the book: The Frugal Gourmet, on our Immigrant Ancestors

Dill and Onion bread

2 envelopes quick-rising yeast
˝ cup warm water
2 tablespoons melted butter
4 tablespoons sugar
2 cups warmed small curd creamed cottage cheese *( I use the regular curd I find at the store if the small curd is not available) heat to take the chill off . It must not be hot.
2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
2 tablespoons dried dill or 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
˝ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
41/2-5 cups all-purpose flour

For Baking
Cornmeal for the baking sheets
1 egg yolk, beaten with 2 tablespoons water

Method:
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Combine the yeast and water with all the ingredients except the flour and mix well in a heavy duty mixer fitted with the batter blade *( I mix it all by hand with good success if you don’t’ have a mixer, kneading in the last 2 ˝ - cups of flour ) Add 2 cups of flour and blend well. Change to the dough hook on your machine, and mix in the remaining flour. Add the last ˝ cup of flour if necessary. 
Place the dough on a countertop and cover with large bowl. Let the dough rise until double in bulk, punch down and let rise again. Finally, knead the dough again until it is smooth and elastic. Shape in to 2 loaves and place on baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Let the loaves rise until they are double in size. Paint with the diluted egg yolk. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden. The bottoms will sound hollow when tapped with your finger

Enjoy!!

What Hope taught me: "To get anywhere in life you have to go out on a limb first"

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:37:29 AM »
Only_an_egg, the bread must be delicious!  Thank you for sharing the recipe with us.   :eclove

Offline Snookums

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
Fudge In A Bag

1 Pound of Powdered Sugar
1 Stick of Margarine (Room Temp)
1/4 Cup of Cocoa
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla
4 Slices of American Cheese (Room Temp)
1/4 Cup Chopped Nuts

Put all of the ingredients, except nuts, into a Ziploc bag and knead until mixed. Then, add nuts. You can make four bags with this recipe by dividing it into fourths. The more that you knead the ingredients, the better! Be sure to use American Cheese.
'Twere not best that we should all think alike. It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.  -- Mark Twain

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
Thanks for posting the fudge recipe, Snookums.  I want to try it!   :eclove

Offline cercis

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
What an interesting recipe for fudge, Snooks.  I think I'll have to try that one.  Thanks.
--- suzi ---

Offline Snookums

• HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
Cream Cheese Mints

1 Package (3 Ounces) of Cream Cheese, Softened
1/2 Teaspoon of Liquid Peppermint Extract
2 to 2-1/2 Cups of Powdered Sugar
Food Coloring
Granulated Sugar

In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and peppermint flavor, until well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar and knead on the counter until no longer sticky. Divide into four portions. To each portion, knead in one drop of the food coloring of your choice. Shape into 3/4-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar and flatten the balls with the tines of a fork. Place on waxed paper and let dry at room temperature. Store loosely covered in the refrigerator. Makes 6 to 7 dozen mints.

Great for Holiday parties and even as gifts.
'Twere not best that we should all think alike. It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.  -- Mark Twain

Offline Snookums

• HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »
World's Most Simple Peanut Butter Cookies

1 Cup of Peanut Butter, Plain or Nutty
1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
1 Large Egg

Mix ingredients together. Roll into balls. Roll balls in granulated sugar (optional) and place balls on ungreased cookie sheet.  If plain peanut butter cookies are desired, press down with a fork.  Suggested toppings are listed below.

Bake at 350 degrees for about ten minutes, (Ovens vary.) or, place the dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for eight minutes.

Remove from the oven and add one Hershey's Chocolate Kiss or some M&Ms to the top.  Bake for two more minutes. 
Another option is to use a spoon to insert preserves or jelly into the top of the cookie in place of the Kiss or the M&Ms.

I use 3/4 cup of sugar when making the dough mixture because the cookies are very sweet.