Author Topic: Doug's Updates  (Read 182654 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Doug's Updates
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
I love to read your stories and accounts of things on and around Hornby, Doug.  You paint such real word pictures, I can see what you tell us in "my mind's eye."   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
Doug,

Thank you!  This first hand account is so valuable and takes me from my life to Hornby visiting the island and Mom and Dad Hornby.  You are an excellent story teller.  We are blessed to be able to learn from you.

Hugs,
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Doug

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »
FEEDING HABITS BETWEEN MALE AND FEMALE EAGLES

In the past, when the male is perched in the Peters's Tree, and I throw a head out on the beach, not a move is made to fly down to get it.  Then, by his calls or by my whistle, the female lands beside him on the perch.  If they are not really hungry, they might sit there for half an hour watching the gulls pecking away at the fish.

When they do decide to fly down, it is always the female who makes the decision and goes first.  Then the male follows.  I always put out two offerings spread apart about four feet.  One for each, and spread apart so one cannot grab both in one swoop.  The female gets the first choice and often flies to the nest to eat it.  The male often flies along the beach to eat his.

It seems as if nature knows that for survival of the species (eagles anyway) that it is more important that the female is well fed.  Both male and female eagles seem to instinctively accept this code.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 12:46:41 AM »
That's interesting about the female feeding first, Doug.  Do you put out fish heads for them only when they don't seem to be finding food themselves?  How about the 'possums that we teasingly call 'Wilsons?'   Do you put out the 'possums you find as roadkill and/or are other Hornby residents doing it?   

We have so many questions!  Thank you for posting information and answering them here and in the chat room.  We're all very fortunate that you are so willing to help us learn and enjoy what we watch together on the cam.   :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Doug

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
Tigerlady10,  When I put fish out, they sometimes don't bother about it for an hour or two.  I assume they are getting enough food on their own and don't put any more out for 4 or 5 days.  If they dive right down before I even get off the beach, I assume they are really hungry and will try again in 3 or 4 days.  I just don't know about the possums.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »
Thank you for answering my question, Doug.  For quite some time, I thought maybe fishermen (women) were putting out the fish heads for the eagles.  It's nice to know that you do it and watch to see how they respond.   :eclove

Offline Doug

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »
THE "BIG FISH, LITTLE FISH" EXPERIMENT

I set up a little experiment, to show that both eagles intuitively know that Ma Eagle should have first priority on food - for the survival of the species.  Generally, when food is available, dad eagle allows mom to fly first to pick out what she wants.

Today, both were in the Peters's Tree and I placed two fish heads on the beach - one very large and one very small.  They must have been hungry because it wasn't long before the first eagle flew down.

But it was dad.  He wasn't supposed to go first!  Experiment ruined.

Oh, not really ruined.  He flew down and took the smaller piece.  That's OK, then.  Mom got the largest piece and dad chose it to be that way.
One way or another, mother comes first. 

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
 :biggrin3 Doug you are sooo funny! thank you for your experimentation. Ma ate that BIG fish ead fast!!

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »
That's neat to hear that Dad chose the smaller piece.  Mom needs more food, she's larger, and does the larger percentage of taking care of the eggs, and chicks.  But since she's also larger, she could, if she wanted, demand her larger portion.  This experienced couple are so wonderful to watch and learn from.
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 02:15:07 AM »
Doug, thanks for showing us how Mother Nature has built in instincts that support preservation of the species.  :nod2   Since eagles can be very aggressive about food, it's interesting that somehow Dad knows instinctively what to do and does it.  Amazing to watch!

Offline woof947

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 07:17:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing your observations Doug.  :ecsmile
to everything there is a season and a time for every purpose, under heaven
~pete seeger~

Offline kathyj

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »
Bit of a catch up for me - lots to read.  Really great.  Thanks Doug for all your observations etc. 
KathyJ
Hove, E Sussex, UK

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
yes thank you Doug for that experiment. It is great to know that they know exactly what to do to survive. Looking forward to another great season.

Offline Doug

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
A VARIATION OF "FOOD FOR FEMALES FIRST"

I had two smallish segments of fish thawed out and wanted to get rid of them (beginning to smell).  Feed them to the eagles.  I like to get the two of them in the Peters' Tree first.  The male was in the tree but not the female.  So I whistled ...  and whistled   ...  and whistled.   Still no female.

And then she flew from the Grassy Point area, past the Peters' Tree and inland to the Babysitting Tree.   Just not interested in food, it seemed.

I threw the fish out anyway to see if the male takes it, even if the female doesn't.  After the gulls had taken their nips at it, he flew down and took a piece.

So there are times, it seems, when the male takes the food without the female getting first choice.

But not so.  He then flew towards the nest and arrived just as she dropped down from the Babysitting Tree.  He dropped the fish into the nest and she ate it.  Once again, females first.

We may have to close down these cameras for moral reasons.  This is not a good example to expose our young males to. 

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »
A VARIATION OF "FOOD FOR FEMALES FIRST"

...Once again, females first.

We may have to close down these cameras for moral reasons.  This is not a good example to expose our young males to.  

tsk tsk   :chuckle