Author Topic: Shingle Spit Nest 2010 Season  (Read 29915 times)

Offline Blue

• HEG
Re: Shingle Spit Nest
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
Luv

I tried to figure out if that was a bee or ...?  in the original pic on the previous page.  I didn't realize it was so far away because it seemed that the eagle was staring at it.  Hard to say what it is.
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »
Wonderful pics, Luvthebirds! That's it, I'm getting that telephoto converter...  :nod2

Wren

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »

FANTASTIC fotos luv!

& wren, go for the converter!!!  :eclol
wooohoooo!

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »
This is a clickable photo of one of the series of pictures on the Shingle Spit eaglet.  I think I got it!!!!

Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
The clickable photo works perfectly, luv.  I can see all the feathers sticking out on his neck. LOL

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »

That*s a great *clickable* foto luv!
Congratulations!
i love seeing the little fella*s feathers sticking out all over the place.
What a cutie!
wooohoooo!

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »
Hi LTB:

Lovely to see your pictures of #4, Phipps Point and Shinglespit nests.  That was a fun day and it was good to spend some time with you.  I knew you and Winter would have great pics, and thatís why I didnít include any in my Hornby Island report.

fol-di-rol

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
For the last week and a half, I have been near the Shingle Spit nest most mornings. And on many of those mornings, at about 7:00, I've watched one of the peregrine falcons approaching the eagle nest, threading its way between the protesting adults, and taking a turn just above the nest. Sometimes it dives for the nest a few times, stopping mere feet above it. Then it flies away as I've described in another post. It can easily outfly the eagles.

I'm starting to wonder if the peregrines' goal is to make the eagles move away eventually... To claim the territory? it doesn't make much sense since they are not after the same prey. Peregrines feed on smaller birds mostly, while fish form the bulk of our eagles' diet.

This makes me realise that I can't think in terms of good guys and bad guys when it comes to wildlife. I'm so pleased to see these rare falcons nesting on our island... so amazed at their flying prowess... and at the same time I'm so attached to the eagles. So I have to let go of that kind of judgement and just watch.

The good news is that the peregrines only appear at the end of June. By then, the eaglets are large and strong enough to be of no interest to the peregrines as prey. So maybe the eagles will decide to stay put in spite of these troublesome neighbours.

(To see pictures of the peregrine falcons, click here.)

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 06:37:15 AM »
Super pictures Luv.  :nod2 Wren the falcon pics are beautiful. I don't think of falcons and eagles in the same area. :blush

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
Wren i thinking they're symbiotic, are are just keeping each other in their place.  Showing what their separate boundaries are.  Protecting each other. :dunno

When i was checking eagle nests i was surprised to see a family of California quail hanging out at three different nest site. Even though the eagles could easily take their babies, the eagles keep other prey away which means they can concentrate on keeping the quail safe from eagles & be free of a lot of other predators.

Only a theory, do you know what i'm trying to say as it seems clear as mud. :ecrolleyes

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »
Thanks, Passerine... I do understand what you're saying. Time will be the best test here: will the eagles move next season? As far as I know, it's their first year on this site. Their behaviour will be our teacher... as usual.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »
I'm still not 100% sure of what is going on with this nest. On July 21, just before my week of work started, I went to check this site, hoping to better observe the interactions between peregrines and eagles.

I arrived shortly before the time of the daily peregrine attacks... but saw only one falcon, hunting low above the beach north of the Spit. Then that one landed on one of the eagles' perch trees, well inland from the nest. There was no reaction from the eagles.

I walked to the nest. It was empty. I saw no-one else around. After a while, 2 more peregrines over the water, a good distance to the south. Then I saw a sub-adult eagle fly north, and take a detour wayyyyy out at sea to avoid the spit... a good sign that the territory was still active and defended.

It took me half an hour to spot Mom Shingle Spit (I'll assume it was Mom, since we saw Mom Hornby most actively caring for Phoenix at the end, while Dad defended the territory.) She was sitting quite low on the big leaning tree that's near the nest. She was staring further into the trees at something I could not see... most likely her eaglet!
The light was marginal, but this picture shows just how huge that tree is...

I tiptoed around the tree, trying to see what she saw... but could not spot the eaglet. There was no noise... that very vocal eaglet was making no sound at all. At some point Mom Shingle Spit flew off her perch and casually went to chase the peregrine who was still occupying the perch tree further inland. She just shooed that peregrine off as if it was a fly. Then she disappeared from my view.

That was all I could see that day. I was not completely convinced that the eaglet was alive and healthy, and the recent death of Phoenix coloured my emotions. So I refrained from reporting until I was more sure, one way or the other.

For the next week I was at work, and could only see the nest twice a day, from a distance. I heard nothing, but one morning I saw the peregrines hassling the nest again... which tells me that there was something to hassle...
A few days later, I saw the peregrines dive-bomb some eagles that were sitting on the ground at the very end of the spit. How I wished I had binoculars! But I'm pretty sure there were 3 eagles there... I had seen the Shingle Spit adults sit there to eat before.

Today, almost 2 weeks later, I went to check the nest again. Nothing, nothing. How I wish I was more certain! But there are people around; a grounded eaglet would have been spotted. So I'm hoping for the best; these eagles have quite a large territory. We're seeing Wiiglet fly far and wide these days, and it's probable that the Shingle Spit eaglet fledged earlier.

Blue asked me for a photo of the spit... I tried different angles from the top of the cliff but the results were not what I had hoped for - you can only see the very tip of the spit from above. Today I tried something else: I stood at the very end of the spit, at high tide, with water behind me and water on both sides:

The nest tree is just to the left of the 2 cabins that are at the centre of the photo. The big snag that Mom Shingle Spit was sitting in is visible as well. (Click the photo for close-up)

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 12:41:34 AM »
Thanks for the updates, Winterwren.  I remember how great it was to visit the Shingle Spit nest with you and fol!  :ecsmile  I sure hope the eaglet is okay.  :pray

I took these photos on June 18, 2010 while we were waiting for the ferry from Hornby to Denman.  I assume that it is one of the adults from the Shingle Spit nest.

This one will click to very large.  It shows the eagle along with the interesting uprooted tree detail.

Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 06:44:21 AM »

Great fotos wren & luv, & thanks wren for the report!
i wonder what*s going on with that eaglet?
Are you thinking that was the eaglet in your view of the Spit, that day you saw three, but had no binocs???

Wren, great way to show the Spit!
From the tip!!

i think your foto of it from the bench would show it well too, no?
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 06:57:47 AM »
Wow, Winterwren!  That Shingle Spit nest tree gives new meaning to "big tree!"    :eclol

Seeing an eagle there really makes an impact.  Otherwise it wouldn't be so dramatic.  Thanks for sharing your excellent photo with us.  It'll make a very nice puzzle, too!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir