Author Topic: Shingle Spit Nest 2010 Season  (Read 30540 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Shingle Spit Nest
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »
On my Thursday outing with Luvthebirds and Fol-di-rol, I finally got a decent shot of the Shingle Spit chick! I think Luv will have some better ones, as will Booni (the nest is high up, so a telephoto lens really helps... not to mention experience! :) )

But this is a start. None of us has seen any evidence of a second chick yet... Though the surprise chick in nest #25 has taught me not to assume anything... It's possible that the Number Two chicks, if there are some, are not standing up tall enough to be seen yet. This could change in a day or two, as their development catches up.

Shingle Spit chick, June 17 2010 (clickable photo!)

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
I am imagining that the chick is up in the nest to take advantage of the lovely breezes off the sea.  Lucky chick - he has a waterfront view nest.  :eclol
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
We are blessed with not one, but a duo of "Eagle Pic Takers'.  I know what a "Spit' refers to, but why is called Shingle'  :question.  Did some roof shingles fly off a house or ??
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »
BBE

A shingle beach is one composed of small pebbles - therefore the Shingle Spit must be a projection of the beach formed where the water changes direction, creating the spit, and it is composed of pebbles.

Does this describe the Shingle Spit on Hornby?

We need a photograph of the Shingle Spit please, next time you go.   :nod2
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 11:15:15 PM »
Yes, Blue, that exactly describe Shingle Spit. I had never heard the word "shingle" used in that sense until I came out West, either...
And this happy chick has an ocean view on three sides!!!

I'll try for a pic of the Spit from further up next time, to give you a better idea of the topography.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »
Thanks Blue and winterwren.  Oh, three sides of a house with an ocean view ~how womderful.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »
The peregrine falcons are back!  :biggrin3
Early yesterday morning, from the water, I spotted two bald eagles giving chase to... something. Something small. And it only took me a second to remember what could fly that fast. A good look with the binoculars confirmed my hunch.

Peregrine falcons are nesting somewhere on the cliffs south of the Shingle Spit nest (and I suspect there may be another pair near nest #3 as well). They seem to make a game of aggravating other birds... for no other visible reason but the sheer fun of flight. They're not stealing food; sometimes they gain a prized perch tree for a while, only to relinquish it after a few minutes, once they've proved their point?... I've watched them hassle eagles and seagulls into pursuing them - and I've heard a report of them playing that game with crows as well. They'll bother the other bird until it gives chase, and fly away, matching their opponent's speed perfectly. When the pursuer gets tired, it gives a last burst of speed to try to catch the falcon... and that's when Falcon turns on the booster rockets and shoots forward at its own top speed, leaving its disgruntled pursuer in the dust.

I didn't see yesterday's provocation, but the chase was something - that feisty little falcon had 2 adult eagles on his tail! How did he do that? :)
He led them most of the way across the channel - 2/3 of a nautical mile - before suddenly veering south at top speed. The two eagles turned around and went back to Shingle Spit, thereby confirming their identity.
The same day I heard a report of someone's dog getting attacked by a peregrine on the Bench trail... the trail Doug showed in that beautiful video last week. I would bet that this is near the location of the nest... which would be why there was only one peregrine flying around, not a pair like last July.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »

Cool report wren!!   :biggrin6
You are an ACE reporter!
Pictures! We want pictures!!
 :mhihi
wooohoooo!

Offline Doug

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
Peregrine Falcons:  After years of having no peregrine falcons, a family arrived here about 8 years ago.  They nested in the cliff 15 feet below the Bench Trail just above the ferry landing.  Biologist from Nanaimo put an invisible net up just above their nest and tied a specially trained Horned owl at the base of the net.  The falcons hate owls and were compelled to dive-bomb it, thus getting caught in the nest and banded.

About one week ago a neighbour of mine saw a peregrine falcon and took an excellent picture of it.  It had a silver band on one leg.  Not only that, you can see the number on it.  He sent the number away to the proper place and expects to hear details about its history.  I asked him where he saw the falcon, and it was exactly where the first falcon was banded 8 years earlier - on the bench trail above the ferry landing.  It will be interesting if this is the original family.  However, the biologists may have banded other falcons since then.

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
On our recent visit to Hornby Island, I was lucky enough to spend some time with Winterwren.  She is a wonderful person and so kind to share some of her favorite island nest spots!  And, as an added bonus, Fol-di-rol was visiting as well and I met her at Winterwren's.  btw, Winterwren has a great garden, with lots of good food to eat

Anyway, Winterwren took Foldi and me out in the early afternoon on June 17th, 2010.  Our final stop was the Shingle Spit nest.  This nest is located in trees very near the beach/spit.  We had a nice walk from the road and along the beach to get to a spot to view the nest.  I was lucky enought to see an adult(s) on a couple of perches as well as a juevnile in the nest.

Hope you like the photos, I hope to learn the clickable trick, but just not happening today and I am uncertain about trying the new flickr version yet.    And the photos do look better in large/original, but I have posted medium here.

I took quite a few photos here, so will split into a few posts and use the medium size.

Adult, Shingle Spit nest area

Adult from Shingle Spit nest

More of the Shingle Spit adult     (ETA:  I see a bird in the background flying over.  I may try to get original size and crop to see if we can id bird.  Or will post large in last Shingle Spit post of this series.)

Shingle Spit nest... there really is a juvenile in there!

Shingle Spit adult, different watch spot

There's the Shingle Spit baby!
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 12:15:27 PM »
More with the Shingle Spit nest eagles.

Shingle Spit Juvvie likes to hide from luv's lens

Nice pose, Shingle Spit juvenile

I see you, Shingle Spit juvenile

Shingle Spit juvenile viewing the area

Still enjoying the pretty view, Shingle Spit eaglet

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »
More Shingle Spit nest photos.  June 17, 2010.

Are you looking at me? Shingle Spit juvenile

Getting more interested, Shingle Spit juvenile

Sitting up, Shingle Spit juvenile

Really sees something s/he likes... Shingle Spit juvenile

More of the eaglet, Shingle Spit nest 

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
Couldn't resist more Shingle Spit nest eagle photos.

Hi there, Shingle Spit eaglet

Pretty eaglet, Shingle Spit nest

On the beach near Shingle Spit nest, we have company!  Canada Geese and Seagulls.

One more of the baby, Shingle Spit nest

Adult at top of its look out, Shingle Spit nest area

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
And a few more, Shingle Spit nest area.

Shingle spit adult? lol Guess it should be called, "Part of a tree near Shingle Spit nest"!

Pretty shells on beach near Shingle Spit nest

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
Closer-up view of adult at Shingle Spit nest with bird flying overhead. 

Shingle Spit adult with bird flying overhead in background.

So what is the bird?  A goose? or......?????