Author Topic: Change and Effects  (Read 30784 times)

Offline Bluewing4

Re: Change and Effects
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 05:38:41 AM »
We are all concerned about protecting the Fish and Oceans.

In less than 48 hours the UN will be reviewing the destructiv­e practices of deep sea trawling used by the fishing industry. "The seafood industry uses long chains of heavy metal disks to drag nets across the sea floor in search of fish, crushing everything in their path. This bottom-tra­wling is like clear-cutt­ing a forest to catch a parrot"

The US and Australia have already banned this process.

Please take take 3 minutes of your time to review and sign this online petition. Quick read , I promise. Every vote will help. Please spread the word.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_ocean_clear_cutting/?vl

"Massive fishing trawlers systematically move from one deep-sea ecosystem to another, crushing coral reefs, sucking up all living creatures and leaving vast deserts behind them that won’t regenerate for hundreds of years. In a single swoop, some boats are capable of clearing an area the size of 5000 football pitches. Canada, Russia and Spain lead the world in spreading this destruction throughout our most diverse and precious waters.

Already, major fishing nations have had 6 years to study the effects of bottom-trawling and move towards more sustainable practices. Most have failed to live up to their commitments to ocean protection and continue to direct huge subsidies -- over 162 million dollars a year -- to ocean clear-cuts.

This week’s meeting is our moment to turn the tide on this destruction. An international team of marine scientists recently called for a permanent end to deep-sea fishing, and the EU Fisheries Commissioner has spoken out against government subsidies to deep-sea trawlers. The momentum is growing, but it will take a massive global outcry to turn the UN meeting into an important accountability moment. Join the call to save our oceans, sign the petition now, and forward to your friends:"

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »
Bluewing, thank you for the heads-up.  I just signed the petition.  It's easy to do on that site, using the link you posted.

This is a way we can help make a difference.   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:42 AM »
TY Bluewing, glad someone is paying attention I've been arguing this for quite awhile. Hope the powers to be will listen.

Offline Bluewing4

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »

So far ,almost 500,000 signatures from around the world. Trying to get to 2 million to work towards saving our oceans. The UN meets in a day and half to review. The petition is not to stop fishing but to stop the bottom trawling method.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »
Southern California - Fisheries Collapse

Ocean warming and over-fishing are causing/contributing to a serious decline in two fish species:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/bass-319039-catch-fish.html  

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
Please check this link in forum on the proposal of an open pit gold mine at Bristol Bay Alaska. Pristine wildlife reserve, 5 species of salmon the largest run, bears, whales, eagles, moose etc. It is also in an earthquake zone. Fishermen alone bring 75 million dollars to the region yearly & I'm sure ecotourism could equal that, the mine needs to be stopped. Part of the story & videos.

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=512.msg76414#msg76414

NRDC Alaska's Bristol Bay watershed is one of America's last and most important wild places -- an unspoiled Eden of vast tundra, crystal clear streams, and pristine lakes.

The planet's largest sockeye salmon streams run through this paradise, with tens of millions of salmon not just supporting an abundance of bears, whales, seals and eagles but also sustaining Native communities that have thrived here for thousands of years.

Yet, a consortium of foreign mining companies, led by Britain's Anglo American, is planning to dig one of the world's largest open-pit mines -- the Pebble Mine -- in the heart of this pristine ecosystem.

This 2,000-foot-deep, two-mile-long gold and copper mine has colossal earthen dams that are supposed to hold back some 10 billion tons of mining waste -- despite being built in a known earthquake zone.

If the Pebble Mine is allowed to go forward, it will inflict irreversible damage on Bristol Bay -- including the permanent destruction of 60 miles of salmon habitat. That’s why NRDC is joining Alaskan Natives, fishermen, sportsmen and conservationists to help take this fight to the national and international stage.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 04:09:10 AM »
If mining is allowed there, it will be a terrible tragedy.

Offline Bluewing4

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 06:47:33 AM »
         :ecsmile Happy News ,  Salmon Are Saved

"Today – October 17, 2011 – the votes were counted in Bristol Bay, and in an historic result against enormous odds, the Save Our Salmon initiative has prevailed"!!!!!!

The residents of Bristol Bay support salmon protection over the Pebble Mine .

"This initiative is the first that, by its terms and because it carries the force of law, will prevent destructive large-scale mining from moving forward against the will of the people who live there."

Full article here, http://links.visibli.com/f13175188cf85b66/?web=2f9ab9&dst=http%3A//rss.nrdcfeeds.org/~r/switchboard_all/~3/tt_vGIQckAI/bristol_bay_residents_approve.html

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
This is the best news ever! It gives hope that the people may be able to stop other destructive practises to the environment. I'm thrilled to hear this! TY Bluewing for bringing us the good news. :biggrin3 :thumbup:

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
That is fantastic!  The people have spoken!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbup:

Hopefully, this will stand up against court challenges.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »
 :biggrin3
 :pray2

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
Climate change is affecting where Snowy Owls are seen this year.  Take a look at this wonderful shot from a flickr contact:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymorris/6705193163/in/photostream

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 07:58:42 AM »
The owls come down from the Arctic in years that their food supply is scarce, caused by an ebb in the cycle of lemming populations. The lemmings' population cycle is not influenced by climate change, as they eat plant material.

There are a lot of Snowy Owls on Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland right now. MARS recently released one and I saw one flying at a distance yesterday.
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline basenjimom

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
Interesting observations Blue.  I often wonder how natural cyclical occurrences effect behaviors seen on yearly occasions. 

Can you direct me to a Lemming study that might show not only this year, but past years studies about Lemmings and the Snowy southern migration?

Lemmings to the sea is just a Fairy Tail to the most of us. Here in the midwest, I'm not even sure what a Lemming is!!!

Offline ccfan

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »
I wonder if all the snow is hiding the lemmings...if they are burrowed underneath?
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.