Author Topic: Change and Effects  (Read 31846 times)

Offline lookylo

Re: Change and Effects
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »
This is a very interesting video,,Enjoy

http://www.storyofstuff.com/
Just say yes!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 07:40:21 PM »
EXCELLENT lookylo!!!
wooohoooo!

Offline Raptorman

• The Eagles of White Rock
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 01:23:41 AM »
Orca study focuses on contaminants in Puget Sound salmon

Excerpt:
The resident killer whale population in the Pacific Northwest has declined rapidly over the past decade, prompting the National Marine Fisheries Service in 2004 to propose the species as "threatened" under the federal Endangered Species Act. Marine biologists believe chemical contaminants and pesticides - absorbed by salmon and other fish that make up a majority of the orcas' diet - may be a key factor in the resident population's decline.

Contaminants in salmon were the focus of a joint study recently completed by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Science Center. The study found significantly higher levels of certain contaminants in Puget Sound salmon - particularly chinook salmon - than in those collected in other areas of the Pacific coast.

Click here for the full story:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/science/articles/pcb/index.html

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 10:15:37 AM »
The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is going to change the earth as we know it, :eccry

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 11:23:02 PM »
Article in the Toronto Sun--"Toxic Seafood"  -  Wed. June 30, 2010

Even sperm whales feeding in the most remote reaches of Earth's oceans have built up stunningly high levels of tonic and heavy metals, according to a report released last week. The contaminants could jeopardize seafood, a primary source of animal protein for over 1 billion people.

Sperm Whales

the sperm whale is the largest living toothed animal. Its name comes from the milky-white waxy subtance, spermaceti, found in the animal's head.

Average Sizes--

bull-- 16 metres ( 52 ft.) in length--- weight--41,000 kilograms ( 90,400 lbs.)
Cow--11 metres (36 ft.) in length-- weight--  14,000 kilograms (30,900 lbs.)
Newborn-- 4 metres ( 13 ft.)-- weight-- 1,000 kilograms ( 2,200 lbs.)

Reproduction--

Gestation requires 14-16 months, producing a single calf. Females generally give birth every 3-6 years
Females reach sexual maturity between 7 and 13 years and males follow at 18 years.
Sperm whales can lives for more than 70 years.

Teeth--20-26 cone-shaped teeth on each side of lower jaw appear to be used for fighting among males.
Males reach their full sixe at about age 50
Back skin is usually knobbly; whales are normally a uniform gray in colour, though they may appear brown in sunlight.
Blowhole is located on the front left of the very large head, which is typically one-third of the whale's length.

Food

Sperm whales mainly east medium size squid, however they will eat -- giant squid--colossal squid--octopuses--other fish such as demersal rays.

Testing for Pollutants

High levels of cadmium, aluminum, chromium, lead, silver, mercury and titanium were found in tissue samples taken from nearly 1,000 whales over five years. The results indicate that the ingested pollutants are a result of human activities.

Whales will pass on the toxins to their offspring when nursing.
Contaminants can be carried far from their origins by wind and ocean currents.

Hg=Mercury-- Mercury as high as 16 parts per million were found in the whales.
                    Fish high in mercury-- such as shark and swordfish ( species health experts warn children and pregnant women to avoid)
                    -typically have levels of about 1 part per million

Common symptons of mercury poisoning ( in humans)

- itching, burning or pain
-pink cheeks, fingertips and toes
-swelling
-shedding of skin
-profuse sweating
-faster-than-normal heartbeat
-increased salivation
-high blood pressure

Cr- Chromium

Chromium, a known human carcinogen, was found in all but two of the 361 sperm whales that were tested for it. The corrosion-resistant metal is used in stainless steel, paints, dyes and the tanning of leather.

Al= Aluminum

High concentrations of aluminum were also found. It is used in packaging, cooking pots and water treatment. Its effects are unknown

Ph= Lead

Lead was found in 313 of 337 animals studied: levels were as high as 130 ppm.

Common symptoms of lead poisoning in adults

-headache
-abdominal pain
-memory loss
-kidney failure
-male reproductive problems
-weakness, pain or tingling in the extremities.

Offline Jonathan M

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
And what so sad is that most of us care but people who have the $$$ don't want to use it for these things.. that really really sad :mgritted

in wich world I would live in 30 years??
One need to see what nature offer before destroy it.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 03:30:34 PM »
Jonathan, that's a very good question.  So many people care only about themselves and not about other people or the Earth and everything on it.

Did you see the nice comments people made about your photos on the Photos and Stories thread?  Also, about the help some of us offered so that you can post photos?   :nod2

Raptorman and I will be happy to help.  He wrote the steps out for you.   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 08:04:34 AM »

i found this video very thought-provoking...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U</a>
wooohoooo!

Offline ccfan

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:27 AM »
Wow Booni,  that is very interesting and makes a lot of sense...how many "underachievers" thrive when given free reign?
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline baysis

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
Booni, that is a terrific vid (the RSA page on YouTube had some other great ones as well).  Being sent to all educationalist friends!

VMT for link; as a fellow of the RSA, I have to admit I'd missed it! 
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand (Confucius)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
Booni, that excellent video sums up some of the most important things many of us who teach/taught school have been saying for years, but there are vested interests that don't want to hear it or want to bury the information.  Thanks for posting it here!  

Many teachers would love to make use of that way of approaching education, but the 'factory model,' where students are treated as 'widgets' continues to be what is reinforced...rather sad and the paradigm should be changed (for the better).  We (many present and retired teachers) DO know how!  Need to remove the obstacles...

**stepping down from a soapbox and lifetime of involvement in this whole area**

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline ccfan

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
Tigerlady  :thumbup: :clap may many teachers have the same way of thinking as you!
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline Blue Eyes

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »
What a coincidence! After reading all the posts on here today I went to my Inbox to find a friend who knows my abhorence of plastic had sent me this.

http://http://www.flixxy.com/convert-plastic-to-oil.htm

I have the feeling however that only people who are already operating in a responsible manner whould be interested in this machine.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
Blue Eyes, I just saved your link to read when I'm not so sleepy.  That would really help if it works!  Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbup:

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
An EXCELLENT talk & slideshow about the big cats in South Africa.

http://www.ted.com/talks/beverly_dereck_joubert_life_lessons_from_big_cats.html
wooohoooo!