Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 495145 times)

Offline amcderm904

• Facebook
Re: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
 http://www.cheknews.ca/ Eagle Rescue -

the interview of Maj by Chek TV is now available on their website.  Beware it does show Phoenix's body being removed twice from the nest for those who are sensitive to seeing that.

Other than that a very nice story. 

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »
Blue, you are certainly right about the parasites! I've had a few on me, too, after handling infested birds.  Yesterday we had a young Raven at Lindsay.  He had both "interior" and "exterior" parasites, and he's being treated with oral doses of ivermectin.  We could see the external parasites and a stool sample revealed the roundworms living in his intestines.  Also powdered his feathers (which we can't do with aquatic birds because it compromises their waterproofing).

MARS seems to be an extraordinary wildlife center!

Oh, I'd better check that link.... 

Jean, California

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »
Thanks, amcderm904. I was hoping that someone would get it posted. Not much chance of catching it on tv here on the east coast of US.  :biggrin3

The cautionary note is really appreciated too.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
I thought this video should become part of the information on our forum.

Thank You, MARS, for all you do
click link
Jean, California

Offline Bug

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
First post! Was given the link to the eagle cam in mid-June and daily followed little Phoenix. Tears and more tears since she died and then through encouragement from the facebook gang, donated to MARS. Talked with Joyofdogs on the phone to donate. A privilege to do so. Love, love, love the photos joyofdogs posted, reports and news video of Niner and Little Brig!! It was so dear when Maj said on the news that she is surprised that people just want to talk to her and tell her THANK YOU. That is a humble woman.   

Offline joyofdogs

• Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »
VISITING MARS;  If you want to visit MARS please call first to let them know when you are coming 250-337-2021.  They are often very busy with incoming birds and mammals and their first priority of to look after them. 

MARS is first and foremost a hospital and rehab center so please note that while you may have a look around and see their bird ambassadors (a red tailed hawk and a great barred owl) you will not be able to visit any of the patients. It is very stressful for birds to have too much human activity around them and MARS wants to give every bird the best chance possible at a full recovery.  Maj and the crew appreciate people's understanding of these policies. 

Sunday Aug 1 - Niner and BrigI are doing very well and happily cohabiting in a large pen.  They may soon be joined by Rebecca, another eaglet rescued from Quadra Island.  JoyofDogs ;-)

'Material things can't make the soul whole;
only love, trust, and a community of friends can do that.' ~ moi

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2010, 01:42:12 PM »
Completely understandable these birds need the privacy. :heart

Thanks so much for the updates. Any other goings on with other rescue cases at MARS you wanted to share........ we would love to hear about them too.  :nod2

Offline Thumper66

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
Joy, thank you for the update on Niner and Brig1.  I'm so happy to hear that they are getting along so well.

Thank you for volunteering your time to help these eaglets become healthy again, and be able to enjoy a fresh new start on Hornby Island.  You are an angel.
  :heart

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »
Joy, thank you for this update.  

Looking at patients is stressful for them, causing them heart-rate spikes, suppressing their immune systems, and delaying (or even preventing) their recovery.  Imagine yourself in a hospital, immobilized in your bed with a broken leg, and a group of killer whales parades past your room and stares at you.  You'd be in fear for your life, perhaps even have a cardiac event.

Your timely updates mean less calls to MARS, which take volunteers and staff away from their hospital patients.  :thumbsup
Jean, California

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
A painting of Phoenix by dalarie is being auctioned NOW!  The proceeds are being donated to MARS.

The information is here:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=389.msg20957#msg20957
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
Joy, thank you for bringing us news about MARS and "our" two Hornby eaglets that are receiving such good care there.  I hope MARS will be there for many years and be able to continue their truly vital work!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »
Beautiful painting of Phoenix! So generous to donate for MARS :ecsmile :eclove
Thank you!
beth
from California

Offline lbnorthrup

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »
Joy....thank you for the update on the two eaglets at MARS.  Tears came to my eyes again watching the video on Phoenix.   Such wonderful people - if she could only have hung on a little longer.   I haven't seen any further updates on her death from pneumonia.  Has anything else come from that that would help in determining what happened so quickly?   Just always fascinated by the medical side of assisting these wonderful creatures.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2010, 09:18:25 AM »
IBNorthrop, the final test results will be posted in the "what happened to Phoenix" thread, I believe, as well as here as soon as they become available by AJL.

Offline lbnorthrup

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
Thanks, Birdvoyer....just hoping whatever the final outcome is will be tremendously educational and helpful for future eaglets and their parents!

Lynn....... :ecsmile