Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 489562 times)

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Re: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
I hope Joy will post her photos and videos, but until she does, perhaps you can see these - she posted this link in chat today:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joyofretirement/BrigJul27#

Offline watermaid

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
I hope Joy will post her photos and videos, but until she does, perhaps you can see these - she posted this link in chat today:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joyofretirement/BrigJul27#
These videos are fabulous.  Thank you all
so much.  I am happy to see this rescue. 
All of you are just wonderful people. 
watermaid.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
Thanks for the updates.  I've never seen an eagle hydrated and was impressed how gently s/he was handled:  with dignity and respect.
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
Maj from MARS posted an update on Little Brig at 9:55 PM nest time tonight. There is also a note on Niner.

Maj Birch:
     Tonight we have tubed the second eaglet from Hornby and s/he is doing well. Already eating fish. Niner has had a goodly amount of fish, too and is now outside. Both of these birds will miss the trip north this year - they need to put on weight and build flight muscles. They will learn from other eagles how to fight... for their food, then released back to Hornby hopefully before the snow flies.
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »
JoyofDogs (http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?action=profile;u=880) is a volunteer at MARS. She asked that we post the pictures of "Little Brig," the eaglet from Brigantine Nest on Hornby Island that was rescued by Booni, overnighted at the Carricks’ home, wrapped up by Norm the helicopter pilot, assisted by Sheila Carrick and flown by helicopter to MARS today. Our JoyofDogs was on hand to take pictures and make commentary for us.

Maj readies to pick up Little Brig - Dog crates, not just for dogs

Brig is in the bag awaiting car transportation to MARS.

Norm Snihur, Wildlife Rescue Angel

Airport where Norm landed the helicopter

Getting ready to transfer Brig to Maj’s care

Brig was bundled up like a papoose to keep her safe

A special delivery, carefully wrapped package

Some airport visitors and staff wanted to see. Notice the large beak, probably a female.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »
Brig - front and center with Maj.

Norm heading out. I mean up.

Isolation room where Brig will be housed

Suiting up to dust Brig for parasites and then hydrate her

Nice colour Maj. All dressed up.

Parasites crawling on Brig.

She is quite underweight

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:10 PM »
Dusting to remove parasites is done outside. All wore masks and gowns.

Look at those gorgeous feathers

Powder gets gently distributed all over

Can you see the very skinny breastbone? A sign of emaciation (can only tell by exposing or feeling it).

Brig, “Are you nearly finished?”

Stop already – I was impressed with how gentle everyone was.

They also examined her ears for blood and maggots and washed her eyes with saline solution.

What an absolute beauty!

Two pictures of hydration process

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »
I am in total awe of all that was done and is being done. My thanks go out to HEART  team :heart ( a perfect name I might add)  Booni, Wren, Doug,  Sheila,  Ajl, and also to Jason, Norman, Maj and the MARS team-- you are all the greatest.  :eclove

Thinking good thoughts about Niner and Brig too and hope to be able to see the release of these wonderful eaglets in the near future!!! Amazing-- simply amazing. :biggrin3

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:35 AM »
Joy, thank you for the wonderful story in pictures. :)  Awesome to be able to see so much of the process.  (ewww the bugs. :( )  Poor little thing, literally little, so thin. Looking forward to Brig and Niner being healthy happy eagles in the near future. :)

Thank you Rajame for posting them for all to see.  :ecsmile
beth
from California

Offline gzebear

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 04:51:57 AM »
Many bows, hugs, kisses and thanks to Booni, Doug, Sheila, Norm, Jason, Maj, everyone who made Niner's and Brig's rescues possible. What a team - a whole lot of HEART! Thank you, joyofdogs, for the wonderful photos and videos - it's so fascinating to see how things are done and heartwarming to see the care and gentleness. It did make my head itch .... but never mind that. I'm so glad MARS let you take pictures for us. We can all see that Niner and Brig are truly in good hands. And are they ever beauties!

And thank you Niner and Brig for coming into our lives.

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:45 AM »
Thank you Joy for those great pics!!!!  Nice to see Brig in such great loving hands!!!  Yes, eeek the bugs, makes your skin feel like it's crawling, so you can just imagine how poor Brig was feeling!!!! Nice job all!!!! Looking forward to future updates about Niner and Brig!!!!

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
We are so lucky to be part of this process. Just viewing is a blessing   :grouphug2

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »
You are so right Maria. :)
beth
from California

Offline lbnorthrup

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
Wow....what absolutely fascinating pictures of Brig eaglet....sounds like she was rescued just in time being so underweight and full of parasites....is that common with these eaglets or because she was on the ground for so long?  So many questions from a various inquisitive observer.... :-[

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »
Wow....what absolutely fascinating pictures of Brig eaglet....sounds like she was rescued just in time being so underweight and full of parasites....is that common with these eaglets or because she was on the ground for so long?  So many questions from a various inquisitive observer.... :-[

Hello lbnorthrup.  Welcome to the ONZ forum.  Have you joined us in the Hornby cam chat room?  That's a good place to ask questions that aren't already answered by information on the forum threads, especially if Ajl is there.  She uses the bold gold type so it's easy to see what she's saying.   :nod2

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir