Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 514873 times)

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)
« Reply #1680 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:43 AM »
Wow! Such an amazing rescue and hopeful life ahead!

:hug
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1681 on: July 30, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
What would we do without MARS?

Another eagle from Hornby Island is now in their care.
I'm so grateful that there is someone we can call, who will instruct us and reassure us and eventually take over, when we're faced with the jaw-dropping sight of an eagle who is injured.

This latest story is here.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1682 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »
Eagle Updates: Yesterday, we sent three of our eagles down to North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre in Errington. Two are adults in need of gaining flight strength in their large flight pen. Young eagle 'Camper' was sent down to be with other juveniles his own age. The youngest eagle 'Hy' will stay at MARS for now. He had suffered a broken wing in the fall from his nest. Fortunately no surgery was needed, just a good wing wrap. X-rays a few days ago showed the bones are mending nicely http://www.facebook.com/mars.comoxvalley?hc_location=timeline

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1683 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Camper is gorgeous!  I'm glad these three eagles are doing well.

Offline CanadianRaptorman

« Reply #1684 on: August 03, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
Just a few offers of experience dealing with eaglets at this stage:

Many have larvae of various fly species hiding during the day within their ear aperatures/cannels. These can be life threatening depending upon numbers, etc. They are removed quite simply by using an eye dropper with an oil (Cod liver or simply Olive) and applying several large drops into the ear so the oil will flow into the ear. The oil sufficates the larvae so they move outside the ear were they can be removed with appropriate tweezers. RT hawks also suffer this easive parasite as nestlings and young juveniles. Rarely as adults but I have made this procedure part of every examination procedure.

If asked for I can provide a link to a video of my technique for removing these larvae.

I would also recommend not holding the birds in any enclosure made of wire unless the wire is covered with some material that prevents any feather from being damaged by contact with that wire. (As falconers we are prohibited from using any wire on a mews. The enclosure will fail inspection if the bird can make any form of contact with that wire.) If you inspect the flight feathers along their length you may notice what are referred to as trace marks or stress marks. These are the result of physical (and occasionally mental) stress from a poor or insufficient diet. Those marks greatly weaken the feathers at that point. Usually the stress marks are consistant along each of the rectrices or primaries. So if the bird is held in an enclosure were it can see through wire and it flys or bumps again that structure those feathers can be badly bent or broken and will either require imping or up to a year in captivity until the following seasons moult occurs.

I would also caution any situation that allows for visual contact of humans. Eaglets are still at strong risk to human imprinting. They should never be able to see and associate food with humans and the less visual or vocal contact with humans the better.

Any rehabber working with diurnal raptors would find an appropriate size selection of hoods a great investment to reduce stress for the raptor and rehabber both. They won't be cheap but need to only be basic (nondecorative) to preform their benificial purpose.

Once those eaglets can show the ability to get off the ground by flight they can be returned to the nest area it is rarely in their best interest to keep them in captivity past that stage.

Bill

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #1685 on: September 26, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
From MARS' website
http://wingtips.org/

MARS is “SPREADING our WINGS”. Our 20 years old facility is not suitable for expansion. Our increasing caseload treats up to 50 Bald Eagles each year. Help us to build a Wildlife Educational Interpretive Centre and flight pen on our new property. It will be a place where children and adults can learn to share information about how to live in harmony with wildlife. With a vision to build and expand with the future in mind, we need your support.

Please help us by voting every day starting on Sept. 29th. Our goal is to get 1000 votes on the first day! We plan to win this competition so that we can build our dream…

A flight pen for eagles and other large birds combined with a Wildlife Educational Interpretive Centre that will encourage visitors of all ages to learn and share information on how to live with wildlife in our environment.

Let your contacts know you’ve got a great idea to create positive change in your community. Their votes can help your chances of winning a share in the Aviva Community Fund.

Include this link to direct them to your idea page
http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf19813

Wonderful news Maj and MARS!  I hope all our Canadian friends will vote, to help make your dreams come true.  :heart
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline linused

« Reply #1686 on: September 26, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »
Alright    I have my votes at the ready!!!! :nod2

Offline OpieK

« Reply #1687 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
we can vote from the US - at least it took my votes - go MARS!

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #1688 on: September 30, 2014, 07:02:19 AM »
I am afraid we've been thru this before.....they can't stop U.S. from voting....they just aren't set up for that...but what they DO do, is disallow votes based on IP's as they check them.   :ecsad  Darnit!

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #1689 on: September 30, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »
On the MARS face book page there were questions about voting from outside of Canada, here is MARS response:

Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society: Yes, unfortunately voting is only open to Canadians. We will be posting daily reminders to vote.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #1690 on: September 30, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »

Yes, i was talking to Maj last night, & she thought it would even work against them if non-canadians voted.
Too bad!
Trying to spread the word to all the canadians i know.
wooohoooo!

Offline OpieK

« Reply #1691 on: September 30, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
well, rats!  Ok I'll stop voting, then - don't want to hurt the cause

Offline gzebear

« Reply #1692 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
I'm thinkin' I'll just send a check to MARS with a note "sorry, I can't vote" and be done with it. :nod2

(and yes, you can send a check in US dollars!)

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #1693 on: October 01, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
Excellent idea, Gze
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #1694 on: October 03, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »