Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 493971 times)

Offline PamNY

Re: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)
« Reply #1665 on: February 13, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »
Great rescue story Wren!  So glad you were there to help the owl.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1666 on: February 19, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »
I've been out of the loop, as I usually am while at work... But I just learned that the Great Horned Owl of Strachan Valley was released last Friday!

I don't have a lot of details, but from what I've learned the family who found him were able to release him in his own territory. Apparently in the meantime this owl, whom they had named Zen, had acquired a new name:"Devil".  :eclol

I don't know the story of course, but I think this has Reg written all over it.

I do know that even after his stay overnight at my house, Zen was definitely less zen-like than he had been.

Fly away free, Devil-Zen, Zen-Devil! We love you wild as you are!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1667 on: February 19, 2014, 06:41:46 AM »
Cant wait to hear the rest of the story thank you wren!

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1668 on: February 19, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »
That is great news Wren, looking forward to the rest of the story too.

Offline idahowa

« Reply #1669 on: February 21, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »
 :thumbup:

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #1670 on: March 20, 2014, 03:56:47 PM »
Today's Victoria Times Colonist had an article about an eagle rescued and rehabbed at MARS.

Bald eagle found near death at landfill recovering

A female bald eagle has recovered after being found sick from possible poisoning, hypothermic and soaking wet. 
Photograph by: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society - See more at:
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/bald-eagle-found-near-death-at-landfill-recovering-1.913671#sthash.IRBFAny0.dpuf

A female bald eagle that was found near death Friday afternoon at a north Island landfill has made a recovery her caregivers are describing as miraculous.

The bird was sick from possible poisoning, hypothermic and soaking wet, said Maj Birch, manager of the Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society in Courtenay.

“It was lying on its belly with its wings extended — it was wet, cold and shivering,” Birch said Wednesday.

The bird was taken to the MARS facility and put on intravenous fluids and warmed with bean bags, towels and a heat lamp. It slipped out of consciousness and Birch thought it would die.

“Basically, we offered supportive care,” Birch said. “We kept her comfortable, kept her hydrated and waited for her to wake up.”

Forty-five hours later, she did just that. “She opened up her eyes and got up.”

On Wednesday, the bird was outside in the enclosed flight pen “and seems to be recovering fully,” Birch said.

This is the time of year when bald eagles are very hungry and susceptible to poisoning. Birch urged people to be careful with disposing of toxins in the garbage.

The bird will probably be released within a few days. Regulations require her to be let go within 10 kilometres of where she was picked up.

smcculloch@timescolonist.com

© Copyright Times Colonist
- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/bald-eagle-found-near-death-at-landfill-recovering-1.913671#sthash.IRBFAny0.dpuf

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #1671 on: April 23, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »

Last night, CTV News reported that a rescued bald eagle from MARS underwent extensive surgery yesterday.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=349820&binId=1.1180928&playlistPageNum=1

The long operation was successful, and it is hoped that after six weeks or so the eagle can be released back into the wild.

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1672 on: April 23, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
Madrona, thanks for posting these stories and links.  I had heard the name of the vet before (Dr. Stacey Gastis) but the video revealed him to be a super nice (and highly skilled) person.

Online auroradawn

• HEGPS

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #1674 on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:01 AM »
Great job MARS, too bad the Mom flew off. I know they will be well cared for though!!

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #1675 on: July 09, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
On July 5, HEART was contacted about a downed eaglet at the campground.  Wren was able to capture the poor mite, who was soon in good hands at MARS.  (Read about the rescue here:  http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1468.msg153910#msg153910 )

An update from Mars:
Our newest baby eagle was rescued from Tribune Bay Campsite on Hornby Island. We received a few calls from people concerned about this baby walking down the road. People had been shooing him off the road but more intervention was needed since no parents appeared to be feeding him. It was decided he should be brought in to MARS. He was very thin, dehydrated and covered in parasites but not injured. Four days later he is doing great and eating very well (note fish scales on beak!) We're calling him 'Camper'  :ecsmile

With all the TLC and good food at MARS, little eaglet is now a happy Camper.   :eclove

There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1676 on: July 10, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
 :heart

Thanks for posting the news, AJL. I had been worried. This is the smallest eaglet I've ever held in my arms.

Offline OpieK

« Reply #1677 on: July 10, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
yay - go Camper and thank you for the update ajl!

Online boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #1678 on: July 13, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »

MARS has posted an update on Camper on their facebook page here.

'Camper' and his new nest mate 'Hy' catching some rays. The new eaglet came to us yesterday from an area of Quadra Island only accessible by boat. He is younger than 'Camper' but we put them together today outside and they got along fine We just have to be careful at feeding times, as 'Camper' wants ALL the food!

Camper showing off his beautiful wings!

Camper on the right…. with grass in his mouth!

wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1679 on: July 16, 2014, 11:43:21 PM »
Oh, what gorgeous photos. And clickable too, so we see all the details.  I so regretted not having time to get photos of Camper. Now we can still see some grey down showing in the middle of his breast (and on his legs?) When we sent him to care, you could see that down between the feathers all along his midline.