Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 494319 times)

Offline Faerie Gardener

Re: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)
« Reply #1635 on: November 07, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
Just wonderful! I'm so glad to read this.
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #1636 on: December 05, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »
MARS was featured on CTV Vancouver Island news yesterday.

A short commercial will appear first.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1054594&binId=1.1180928&playlistPageNum=1

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1637 on: December 16, 2013, 09:25:05 PM »
On December 3 I visited MARS to do a little bit of work in the orchard. I usually do this later in the year, so this was my first December visit and I was delighted to find out that the property seems to be on a swan highway. Every few minutes two or three or four Trumpeter Swans would fly low overhead, all in the same direction. Indeed, Maj was away for part of the day because she goes out to count swans on a regular basis. The Comox Valley is a major stopover in the swan migration. Maj said that this year they are seeing Tundra Swans among the Trumpeters. Usually the Tundra Swans pass on the east side of the Rockies, but this year a greater number than usual used the western route. I'm not sure I would be able to pick them out of a crowd. Sibley tells us that Tundra Swans (also known as Whistling Swans) are a bit smaller and lighter, and their bill looks a little bit different. The juveniles have black legs instead of brown.

Mars even has a Tundra Swan among its guests. I think it was weak from malnutrition (I may have forgotten the details).

As soon as I walked into the office, I noticed a large video display screen that I had never seen before. One one quarter of it we could see the swan in its snug intensive-care housing. The other quadrants showed the flight pens, everything in beautiful clear detail! This is the video monitoring system that MARS was able to get from the Aviva fund, largely because of the support of people on the Eagle chat and forum.  :heart

Not only does this make the work easier for the MARS volunteers... It's also better for the birds, because they don't have humans walking in to check on them as often. Which means less stress and faster healing. Probably less risk of habituation also. What a beautiful gift you all helped with!

:flower

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #1638 on: December 16, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »
Wren, thank you for your MARS report, especially about how the video cams and monitors are being used there!  The wildlife is benefitting and it shows how the combined efforts from our friends really does make a difference!   :grouphug

The swans as so beautiful, especially in flight together!   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #1639 on: December 17, 2013, 05:11:27 AM »
great to hear their video system works so well for everyone!  Thanks Wren.!

Offline OpieK

« Reply #1640 on: December 17, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
That's great news about the monitoring system, Wren.  Thank you for the update.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1641 on: December 17, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »
 :heart Wowww Yaay MARS!

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #1642 on: December 18, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
Great news about the Monitors, and how interesting the info on the Swans is, too. Thanks, Wren!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1643 on: January 10, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
$1 million donated to three Comox Valley charities

Neil Woodrow, Audrey Craig, Donna Nelson, and Lisa Zuk join together for the presentation of the Woodrow Estate cheque, which sees a $1 million donation split between three Comox Valley organizations.— image credit: Photo by Jim Peacock

by  Staff Writer - Comox Valley Record
posted Jan 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM— updated Jan 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Three local charities have received more than $1 million from the estate of a Comox Valley woman.

The gifts include $500,000 to Comox Valley Hospice Society, $300,000 to Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society and $200,000 to a local animal welfare organization. In each case, this is the largest donation ever received by the local charity.

The gifts were made in the Will of Michele Woodrow who died in June 2013, just 11 months after her husband Danny Woodrow. Danny and Michele were married for more than 15 years and during that time worked together on “Farmer Dan’s” potato farm and other ventures.

“These are all groups that Michele and Danny admired,” said Lisa Zuk, executor of Michele’s estate.

Michele loved animals recalled her mother Donna Nelson, “Michele adopted the oldest, saddest dogs from shelters and gave them the best years of their lives,” said Donna.  “Everyone always said they would love to “come back” as one of Michele’s dogs or cats.”

“The Woodrows were always great supporters of MARS,” said Maj Birch, manager of the bird and wildlife recovery group.  “We are honoured that she remembered us in the company of these other worthy charities.”  MARS will use the funds in its work helping ill, injured, orphaned and oiled wildlife recover and be released back to the wild.

The gift to hospice also had a personal meaning for Michele and Danny Woodrow. “After her husband’s death and then her own health setbacks, Michele became very interested in palliative care and Hospice,” said Zuk.

Over 1,000 local residents use the Comox Valley’s Hospice services every year and the society relies on the generosity of local businesses and individuals to fund those services.

“We are overwhelmed and extremely grateful for this compassionate gift from Michele Woodrow,” said CVHS President Audrey Craig.  “This is by far the largest single gift we have ever received, and the Woodrow family’s generosity in “paying it forward” will make a very meaningful difference in the quality of care that can be offered to other families.”

These funds will enable CVHS to provide the kind of care that is already offered in other communities but is not currently available in the Comox Valley.  This will include a full scope of care at the four interim residential hospice beds being developed in The  Views at St. Joseph’s General Hospital, a dedicated space that will provide compassionate care for 80 to 100 people and their loved ones each year.

Some of the funds received will also be used to ensure a comfortable space for grief and bereavement counseling, support group meetings, on-going training and support of hospice volunteers, care giver support and other services that assist with the wishes of those who choose to die at home.

“Providing compassionate hospice palliative care has fallen on the shoulders of our community and we depend on the community we serve,” said Craig.  “We cannot say thank you enough to those who, like the Woodrow family, include Hospice in their estate planning.”

The story is here - http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/entertainment/239343061.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:16:23 PM by NancyM »

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1644 on: January 10, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »
 :eclove Fantastic NEWS!!! Congratulations MARS am so happy for you and that your work can go on  :heart

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #1645 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
That is wonderful news.  It is also a reminder to us all that we can help deserving organizations, like MARS, by remembering them in this way.
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1646 on: January 10, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »
Wonderful news! I am so happy to read this posting!

:hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #1647 on: January 11, 2014, 06:18:15 AM »
what a wonderfully generous gift.  Fantastic.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #1648 on: January 11, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »

What a wonderful gift!!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #1649 on: January 11, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
What a generous gift... and three deserving organizations... congratulations, MARS! 
 :thumbup: