Author Topic: Eagle Activities For Kids  (Read 24632 times)

Offline Blue

• HEG
Eagle Activities For Kids
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
Welcome to
Eagle Activities For Kids

You will find links and things to do here which feature activities related to bald eagles.  

Please tell us your ideas for other activities so that we can share them - also links you may find with interesting information about bald eagles.

Our goal in Kids' Corner is to learn about eagles - to watch them on the Hornby Eagles webcam and to learn about them.  

On the Hornby Web Cam, we can see them fixing their nest, keeping the eggs warm, feeding the little eaglets and keeping them safe; and we can watch the babies grow and learn how to fly.  We also want to know what eagles need in order to do these things - the food they eat, big trees to perch in, and a healthy environment.

The Eagles Of Hornby Island (click) website has lots of pages for you to explore.  Some of the things are:

• The Kids' Corner (click) page has some fun things to do.

• Information for teachers and many links to reliable websites are listed on the page of Resources (click)

• Do you have questions about bald eagles?  The answers might be on this webpage ...Eagle FAQ (click)

You will find information like: what eagles eat; how much they weigh; how many eggs they have; how they build their nests; and much more.  We will try to answer your questions here too.  :nod2

• There are pictures from each year since 2006 as well as photos of Hornby Island where the nest is, the eagles hunting at the beach and photos of Mom and Dad Hornby perched in the trees when you can't see them on the nest.  All of these pictures are in The Gallery (click)

Mom and Dad Hornby's nest is way up on the top of this huge Douglas-fir tree:

Photo by boonibarb
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:09:35 AM by Blue »
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Blue

• HEG
Re: Eagle Activities For Kids
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:13:22 PM »
Jigsaw puzzles of the Hornby eagles

Mom and Dad Hornby

(20 pieces)click
(48 pieces)click

Mom Hornby Eating Salmon

(20 pieces)click
(48 pieces)click

Mom Hornby Leaves the Peters' Tree  

©2010boonibarb
(48 pieces)click

Mom and Dad Hornby - the Peters' tree

©2010 Boonibarb
This one is a bit harder - (67 pieces)click

There are many more puzzles about nature on the forum - a deer eating an apple, butterflies, birds, beautiful scenes - in the Puzzles and Games (click) thread.

There are also more puzzles of the Hornby eagles on the Kids' Corner (click) of the website.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
Word Search

Life As An Eagle

by Tigerlady

Note: To do this puzzle, you can copy and paste it into a word-processing document, then print it out.

DIRECTIONS: find each word in the list below and circle it in the puzzle.

S E O W M E S J Y J E G T R N          BALD
D A Y L I G H T B T C N A F O          BIRD
L C K E C L R N A C N I L O S          BRANCH
P O L E V E D B O B E L O R A          CATCH
E T J I H R U L R R I G N E E          CHICK
E W E T M C E A I P C D F S S          CLIMATE
R O A L N A N S H F S E E T L          CROP
T E A I L C T A B E E L A H B          DAYLIGHT
W O A B H E B E L O O F T C N          DEVELOP
C L A S A I P K C I H C H T A          EAGLE
G L E G T S A L M O N D E A T          FEATHER
D R L A D R I B Z J A G R H U          FLEDGLING
F E T H G I L F N E S T N N R          FLIGHT
V P R O T E C T C A T C H I E          FOREST         
P O R C S L A B D E D D A Q W          FRESH

HABITAT                    PROTECT
HATCH                      SALMON
INCUBATE                   SCIENCE
NATURE                     SEASON
NEST                       TALON
OBSERVE                    TREE
PELLET                     WEATHER

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:16:18 PM »
Here are some sites about bald eagles on the internet with photos, information, and fun things to do:

• At the Bald Eagle Kid's Page (click) at Eagle Stock Images, there is a page with lots of information about places that are helping bald eagles and other places to learn about them.  They have lots of bald eagle and wildlife photos.

You will also find a Bald Eagle Coloring Book and cute photos and videos of baby eaglets there.

• DLTK's Crafts for Kids (click to see the pictures) has easy instructions on how to make a bald eagle puppet out of a paper lunch bag and a really cute bald eagle with a toilet paper roll.  You will just need some scissors, paper, glue, and crayons.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
If you do any projects, we would love to see pictures of them in this thread.  

:thumbsup

Offline The XS Medium

• Heavenly Medium
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
It is mandatory for 3rd graders to submit a project to the science fair. My granddaughter Nadia (nearly 9) did hers on Bald Eagles. Her project was titled-
"The Eagle Takes Flight: From Near Extinction to Hope"

She showed how the decline in eagles began with the use of the insecticides DDE and DDT and what it did to the eagles (and all creatures that came in contact with it), when they were declared endangered to the Department of Interior developing The Endangered Species Act. She had graphs showing the decline and growth and how it was done. She provided beautiful photographs and a fact list of interesting information. BUT..."her piece de resistance" was her replicated eagles nest. We went out to the wooded field area owned by Long Island Power Authority and scoured the area for materials. We DID NOT pick anything but took everything from the ground. The nest turned out to be a real stunner. It was probably the most commented on project at the fair. One teacher asked to keep it in her classroom for when she does her bird unit. We agreed that I would keep it at home and that I'd bring it back for the unit and that I could do some type of bird workshop with the 3rd grade.

Nadia received an honorable mention for her project. 1st-3rd place were really good projects too. Nadia's was a visual stunner. Take a look at it.

We found a perfect Y shaped branch. My husband mounted it to a wooden board for her.

I started the weaving of the branches to create the nest bowl and then Nadia wove in the remaining branches, twigs and grass. We added some eggs and 2 eagles and glued on pine boughs on the trunk and added rocks, twigs and grass to create a natural look at the tree base. It took alot of floral wire and many hot glue gun sticks!
~~Diane The XS Medium~~~
heavenlymedium.com

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
The XS Medium,

That is most fantastic!  What a great presentation, nest and experience for your grandchild and family.  I hung on every word... believe me!

The Hornby Eagles have such a draw for the Good.

Thank you for sharing.  This made my day!
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Raptorman

• The Eagles of White Rock
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »
That's one of the kewlest things I've ever seen!  :nod2
Nice Work Nadia and XS   :ecsmile

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Wow!  Good work, Nadia!   :nod2

The eagles are just the right size for that big nest.

Thankyou for showing us XS.  What a great project to do with a child.

Offline The XS Medium

• Heavenly Medium
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
Thanks everyone. She is thrilled with the outcome, your comments and the added bonus of getting an honorable mention. She says that "so many people noticing her project hopefully means she educated people with it". Smart words from a little kid. Thanks again. We are glad you have enjoyed them.

Warm gratitude,
Diane The XS Medium and Nadia.
~~Diane The XS Medium~~~
heavenlymedium.com

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:13:38 PM »
What a terrific project!  It looks like one eagle is sitting on the "wide-angle cam box" just like here at Hornby!   :eclove

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
That*s what i was thinking Nancy!
That looks like the Hornby nest!
What a great job done on that project!
i LOVE it!
Way to go Nadia!
Well done!
wooohoooo!

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 07:13:53 PM »
Real neat idea Nadia & XS thanks for sharing it with us. I'm sure it will inspire & educate other students to make similar nature items, way to go.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
Congratulations Nadia, for an excellent project and your Honorable Mention award!   The nest and eagles look so authentic!  You must be very pleased with how well everything came out!   :eclove

XS, thanks for sharing the information and picture with us...that's exactly what we hope young people will be able to do...develop an interest in eagles and other wildlife, create projects, take pictures, do reports...and have fun!   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 11:01:10 PM »
Nadia, congratulations on your awesome project. Everything looks so real.  You deserved the Honourable Mention award.

Maybe you and your grandmother will spend some time here watching the eagles; they are so cool to watch.

Thanks to both of you for sharing the project with us.

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013