Author Topic: Wildlife Rehabilitation cases and stories of interest  (Read 83548 times)

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Wildlife Rehabilitation cases and stories of interest
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
They're not going to the wild they get to live out the rest of their life torture free on 50 acres of forest.

Offline PatUK

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
Injured eagles need surgery
By GEOFF TURNER The London Free Press

Last Updated: May 12, 2010

Two bald eagles are being kept at Salthaven Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre after being injured when high winds toppled their nest west of Hyde Park. The two chicks have broken legs that will require expensive surgery to fix.

It’s touch and go for two bald eaglets rescued when their nest west of Hyde Park blew down in a wind storm Friday night.

The two eaglets, thought to be about two months old, survived a 15-metre fall but suffered leg fractures requiring surgery, said Brian Salt of Salthaven Wildlife Rehabilitation.

The two birds are in a protected aviary at the Mt. Brydges facility.

Salt said leg fractures are very serious injuries for raptors such as eagles. “Their legs and talons are like their guns.”
He said one of the birds will require a pin to repair a leg fracture.

In recent years other young eagles have been rescued with similar injuries and didn’t survive, Salt said.

Local resident Don Fairbairn was the first to see the nest was down. He’s been watching it as long as it’s been there. “First thing I do every morning at seven is look at the nest.”

Fairbairn called a friend at the Ministry of Natural Resources for advice. The friend said the eaglets would almost certainly be dead. But Fairbairn hopped on his ATV and headed across the fields to see what he could do. When he got to the site, the eaglets were in a tangle of underbrush. “The important thing was they were alive,” Fairbairn said.

With mama and papa eagle circling menacingly overhead, Fairbairn gathered up the eaglets under his arms. “Just like you do with a chicken,” he said.

Surgery for eagles is highly specialized and costly. Salthaven will pay for the surgery but is dependent on donations to provide such care.

Bald eagles have been making a comeback in southern Ontario but the numbers are still low.
It’s estimated that there are 20 nesting pairs in southern Ontario and only 28 eaglets fledged in 2008.

The eagles have been returning to the nest for three years. Each year they add more material to the nest.
Salt wasn’t sure of its exact size and weight but said “it was about the size of a small car.”

Article, video and contact details
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet with chocolate

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »
Thank you for posting the article PatUK. Such a serious injury. I am glad they are in the rehabbers' hands and care.  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
Laser treatment aims to heal bald eagle

A $2,000 laser used to treat former New York Knicks star Allan Houston’s ailing knee is helping another patient — a 4-month-old bald eagle in SW Florida. The Multi Radiance TQ Solo laser uses photons at various frequencies and pulses just billionths of seconds in duration. These pulses stimulate cells to begin the healing process.

Link to original new story

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
What a good story!  I like to hear the good news because there are so many sad endings.  Thank you, Nancy, for posting this article.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
Another beautiful release - they didn't throw the poor bird up in the air. :thumbsup

The eagle from Pine Lake that was trapped in the rope on March 4th was taken to a Veterinary hospital overnight and then was taken to Sarvey Wildlife for rehabilitation because it was fatigued, bruised, and had an injured eye.
It was successfully was released today!
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 02:35:45 AM »
Laser treatment aims to heal bald eagle

A $2,000 laser used to treat former New York Knicks star Allan Houston’s ailing knee is helping another patient — a 4-month-old bald eagle in SW Florida. The Multi Radiance TQ Solo laser uses photons at various frequencies and pulses just billionths of seconds in duration. These pulses stimulate cells to begin the healing process.

Link to original new story

Using a non-invasive treatment like that laser looks like an excellent way to possibly get that eagle back in shape to fly.  I sure hope it works.  That's generous of the man who thought of using it and is donating the treatments.  The world does have some very kind people, thank goodness.   :nod2

Thanks for letting us know about it, Nancy.
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline SandyLL

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
The night before last on our CHCH TV news out of Hamilton they showed a bald eaglet, older than Phoenix, who needs help.  Last week we had winds gusting up to 100 km in some areas of Ontario.  A bald eagles' nest came crashing to the ground with two eaglets; one did not make it, the other one was operated on for broken bones at the Salthaven Wildlife Rehabilitation & Education Centre (http://www.salthaven.org/).  They are hoping the little one will make it and are running out of funds and asking for donations for food.

I thought as we are all bald eagle lovers now (a lot of thanks to Doug) maybe some of us can help them out a little.

Offline typoscount2

• HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 07:42:32 AM »
while reading saturday' paper i found this article about a  canadian tv show being made in nova scotia.
this show is highlighting the work of a rehab/rescue for wildlife, Hope for Wildlife, not far from Halifax.
the tv show will be aired it says on sep 7 on HD   channel, i will have to look into  how to find that channel.
but its a 13 part series and they say they have made plans for a second 13 part second season.

these are the links to the newpaper article
http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife

full story > http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1199124.html
I have been typoscount2  & nsbirder then Non4now, but no more,
onward to       ImpInNS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornby-Eagle-Group-Projects-Society/292341380792123

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »
That rehab center seems a lot like MARS.  It's nice that it will have a total of at least 26 weeks over the time span... :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline typoscount2

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »
i am on a bit of a roll here, and found this article about another very reputable rehab  center in nova scotia,

this article refers to an eagle that had cooking oil on its feathers, as well as links to the rehab center web information.  arggack

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/296155
I have been typoscount2  & nsbirder then Non4now, but no more,
onward to       ImpInNS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornby-Eagle-Group-Projects-Society/292341380792123

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 09:02:06 AM »
Typos, that was an interesting site, also.  Among the pages there is one that discusses feeding, habitat, etc. for wildlife in a backyard/property.  I'll ask Ajl to look at the page I'm talking about and if she thinks the information is good, I'll post the link here.  Thanks for sharing that link with us.   :ecsmile

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 09:13:33 AM »
Typos, that is indeed a very reputable centre, run by an incredible wildlife veterinarian. I've worked with her on various things so know that whatever she does and whatever is on her website, is tops.  :heart
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
That's good to know, Ajl.  I'll post the link that is on that site...about suggestions for what people can do at home to encourage and help wildlife:

Encouraging Wildlife...

Feeding and Habitat. etc.

http://www.cwrc.net/encouraging_wildlife.shtml

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »
Thanks, typos, AJL, and Tigerlady - that link would be good to post in the "Everyone can Help" section ("Nature Tips" ?)  ETA:  I see that the link was posted by typos earlier today  :eclove

After watching the new video of Decker and the other eaglets at MARS, I watched a few other videos from other rehab places,

Medicine River Wildlife Center is in Alberta, and they have posted 7 videos.

Gentle release of cedar waxwings (a few seconds long):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtHjzWj-1tE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtHjzWj-1tE</a>

My favorite:  long (11 min), but very interesting observations of a beaver lodge and fostering an orphaned baby beaver.  The observers camouflage in the first part  is really interesting!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GL335Y2fs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GL335Y2fs</a>