Author Topic: Nest 21 The Marsh at Whaling Station Bay 2019 Season  (Read 158 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Nest 21 The Marsh at Whaling Station Bay 2019 Season
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:15:35 AM »

This is where we*ll post observations, fotos, videos & discussion of the Nest 21 territory.
This Nest is in a one of a kind spot, overlooking a huge marsh, & has a very interesting territory that includes Cape Gurney & lovely dry earth flora that is quite different from other areas of Hornby.
Lots of Pine Trees grow here, & Arbutus, which like the drier zones.
It is a lovely place to walk around.
There are some very interesting houses in this neighbourhood.
These Eagles have a HUGE shore territory.
It includes the east arm of Whaling Station, Cape Gurney, & the shore towards Helliwell to where the Helliwell pair Nest.
i think wren spots lots of interesting shore/water Birds at Cape Gurney, & once she even spotted a Humpback Whale!
i have a friend who lives on the Marsh, & she sees Eagles bathing there, that might be this pair, or could be the Helliwell pair.
In the time leading up to & during Herring Spawn season, Eagles dot every Tree in this neighbourhood.

To read the posts from last season, & find links to the previous season, click here.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest 21 The Marsh at Whaling Station Bay 2019 Season
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »

Our camera club had a little party in this neighbourhood on sunday night, & the hostess was excited to see if i could find Eaglets in their Nest!
She hadn*t noticed much adult activity.
It is amazing to me, people live right under Nests & don*t really notice what is going on.
There is a spot in her back garden in the Sun, & as i was walking out there i saw an adult flying in to the Nest & heard an Eaglet screeping like there was food coming in!
By the time i got my camera on the Nest, i could see nothing.
But i kept checking back & finally spotted at least one Eaglet!

june 9 2019 17:18 - Eaglet on the Nest!

Wingercizing after eating!

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:28:40 AM »
It is amazing to me also Booni - I see it here all the time too - until  people learn what to watch for they don't seem to notice.  :puzzled2
Great pics - I hope she loved that.  :eclove :eclol

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »

This fabulous Eagle Nest Tree overlooks a Marsh.
i spotted what i thought was a female Purple Finch but now i see, by the bright yellow rubbery gape, that they are a fledgling.

june 9 2019 16:42 - fledgling Purple Finch

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »
Back view of the same nest, on July 14.
Nap time, and I couldn't see the eaglet, but there sure was evidence of one: lots of white dots of poopshots below the tree, bits of down, and some feathers and bones from prey clinging to the nest branches.

There is an item I can't make sense of, maybe two things in front of each other, with spiky ends, at the top of the nest on the left side.

This nest collapsed late in the season last year and is now rebuilt, but so much smaller than it used to be!
July 14, 4:10 pm