Author Topic: 2019  (Read 1976 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 08:27:59 PM »

Oh, darn darn darn.
i was so sure this guy stood a good chance.

Hi Barb, I am back now. I am so sorry, but the lovely little guy died sometime during transit. When I got tere, we opened the box, and he was dead. I felt so bad. They examined his wing anyway, and noticed it was broken in three spots, and the bone was protruding at the bottom of part of the wing. They said it was a compound fracture, and he would have had to have been euthanized.  But stii, I would have felt better had I gotten him there alive. So, I am so sorry for the sad news. 😞
wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »
So sorry booni thank you all for trying

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 10:49:39 PM »
What a whirlwind time for you, booni.  I'm sorry that things didn't turn out after all your  efforts.   :dunno
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »

An interesting & happy ending back & forth i had with a Hornby local on facebook messenger!

Dear Mz Wildlife Rescue Helper - what do we do with three orphaned possums? We found them on the roof and in the yard, their mum has been around recently but has now disppeared and these guys were calling for her.

oh, drat, not at all sure what to suggest
MARS won*t take them (they can*t take non-native species)
Wonder if NIWRA would help?
Their milk is very complicated & complex, so i wouldn*t feed them
how big are they?
NIWRA - 250-927-6025

they're 4-6 inches long, they were covered in fleas, 2 we found last night, one this morning, cleaned off the fleas manually with a comb, kept the 2 overnight in a glass cage on a heating pad on low, we've fed them pedialite mixed with water but no milk, from what I can tell they don't drink milk, but can take a soy-based milk substitute.

they drink their mother*s milk, which is very complex to duplicate
there is also OWL, they have taken Possums in the past - 604.946.3171

thanks, we'll try NIWR, we can take them there today if they'll help them; if not we can try OWL and maybe get them across to horseshoe bay and get a friend to pick them up;

oh, that is terrific, Thank you so much!

they're so freaking CUTE

i BET they are! wildlife rehabbers LOVE them

Wed 10:37 AM
Nobody on Vancouver Island, North Island Wildlife Rescue ontated Elizabeth Wildlife Rescue in Abbotsford, they take 100 possums a year and are good, they think ours are big enough and healthy enough to survive and make the journey there, we offered to bring them across on the ferry to Horseshoe Bay but they have a better way, there's a wildlife rescue person on VI called Kristen (?) who can take them, but even better one of the volunteers for the Abbotsford place is nearby on vacation and if we get them to Buckley bay this afternoon she will pick them up and take them straight there.

Wed 8:14 PM
Oh, wow, that*s fantastic!
Did it all work out?

not yet, we're keeping them overnight and meeting her first thing tomorrow morning (1st ferry) in Buckley Bay, then she can take them directly to the rescue centre.

Oh, okay, well thank you so much

Thu 10:05 PM
It went smoothly, the possums should be in Abbotsford at the Rescue Centre by now.

Fri 6:47 AM
Gee, that sure worked out well, thanks! ♥

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »

i got home late last night & found a late call on my answering machine!
i didn*t know what to do.
i can*t do much for a Deer hit by a car.
But a Fawn hit by a car can be sent to MARS!
i consulted mishi & we went out to look in the dark with our flashlights.
The fella who called had left a glove on the road across from where he*d seen this Fawn.
i was thinking it was too early yet for Fawns.
i was wrong.
mishi found the Fawn in the ditch about twenty feet from where they were originally.
What would i do without her.
i was looking in the wrong direction.
Not sure how she even spotted the tiny dear in the dark.
i was expecting a broken Fawn, hit by a car, so i examined the little sweetie pie, who was playing dead.
i could see the nose wiggling & they were warm.
i saw no signs of injury!
Then the fella showed up in the dark.
What a kind person!
We decided the Fawn was fine, just hiding, waiting for their Mum to come back, but in a dangerous spot.
Now they are safe in the ditch at least.
This is the back & forth that happened on Hornby Helps facebook page.

Does anybody rescue fawns? There is one on St. Johnís pt road, 100m west of the yellow pottery studio sign. Across from a green glove on the road. Beside my cut off paper cup. (it did not want any apple juice.)

Still breathing. But seems exhausted and does not budge when I tapped it with my foot. I think it was standing when I first pulled up but Iím not even sure. There was another deer there that I was watching but it ran away. Not sure if that was mom.

Barb Biagi is the main person to contact..is it on the road or off to the side?

Donít touch it or the mother will abandon it. They get left for periods of time, but the mother comes back eventually.

Ask a Wildlife Biologist, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

that dont touch thing is a myth

Red Wallace ?

Step away and observe at a distance. so & so is right, mothers do come back.

I got hold Of Barb Biagi and she went out and had a look. I met her there. The fawn had moved about 20í(?) so Barb figures itís just waiting for mom. She said it was quite young. She did check the bones a bit and said it seemed fine. Iíll go have a look tomorrow to see if it moved again. Itís nose was almost on the pavement when I first saw it but now it is in the ditch. Looking cozy.

thanks!

Newborn?

It was probably a newborn. First one Barbís seen this year and I talk to someone else who hasnít seen any this year. I think she said she found the umbilical cord and took it off or something like that.

I went back this morning and it was not there so I think it is fine and just getting its life going. It just needs to learn not to sleep with its nose on the road!

Barb Biagi Yay! Thank you Mr. finder & everyone!
i was surprised to see a Fawn already.
There was just the slightest dried up piece of umbilical cord left, i just checked, didn*t remove it, was just curious how fresh the birth was. This one was lovely spotted & curled up in the ditch, pretending to be invisible.
Best left alone, Mum will return.
But, good idea to move them to a safer spot if they are on the road!

Who says there are no fawns? (foto of Fawn & Mum & Fawn!)

Thanks for going out, Barb!

A happy ending & lovely people, to boot! ♥
wooohoooo!

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 09:48:15 AM »
Thank you for all you do. The love you share is blessing many lives. At least they have a chance Booni. You give them the chance. :hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 10:08:54 PM »
Great to see concerned people ready to help.     :eclove   Thank you for letting us know. booni.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 09:05:21 AM »

i got a call two days ago about another Fawn.
This one was wandering around on the busy straightaway main road!
The mother was seen, but she had gone off.
Someone moved the Fawn off the road & someone else petted the Fawn.
So the caller felt the mother would not come back & the Fawn needed rescue.
i told her she had done the exact right thing, to get the Fawn off the road, & that the mother would come back, even though the Fawn had been handled by a human.
Fawns are born with no scent, which helps them to hide from predators.
But even with human scent on them, they are FAR better off staying with their mother.
i told her to go back & check later if the Fawn was still hiding where she left them.
They will call to each other & the mother will come back.
If not, the Fawn would let us know.
She went later & the Fawn was gone.
Yay!
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »

Yesterday i got a call from one of the shops in the Ringside Market, next to the Co-op.
Yay!
A fella had come in saying he*d found a Bird on the main road that he thought had been hit by a car.
i asked if i could speak to him.
She handed the phone over & he said he*d found the Bird in the middle of the road so he moved the Bird to safety on the side of the road.
i asked how he could tell the Bird had been hit by a car?
He said the Bird looked kind of stunned & was just standing there.
i suggested it could have been a goofy fledgling, standing on the road, not knowing better, & that they may indeed have been a Bird hit by a car & stunned.
Could he go back there & look for the Bird & call me from there?
If the Bird was still stunned, i would put them in a small box or paper bag & let them rest in a dark quiet place to recover, then release them in that same spot.
He called me from where he*d left the Bird & they were gone!
Yay!
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 09:21:26 AM »

It was getting late & i was in my hammock reading my book when the phone rang!
It just said British Columbia, & it is hard to get out of my hammock in a hurry, so i didn*t answer.
When i finally did get up, i checked my messages.
Turns out it was a woman who was camping at Heron Rocks & she was reporting an injured Canada Goose.
Because it was late, i called Aaron, hoping he*d be game to go.
He was just coming off the ferry from a tough time in town, but he agreed to go!
i wrote down for him the woman*s phone number then called her back & said Aaron was on the way.
She asked what would happen to the Goose, so i explained about capture & kennel & getting into a wildlife rehab place.
She was relieved.
Meantime, Aaron was already here to pick up kennel & blanket to cover &  towel to put inside & the two capture nets.
We discussed what he should do.
Got a phone call not much later saying he*d already caught the Goose.
There was definitely something wrong, limping & something with the wing & that the Goose was almost a bit tame, but she put on a good sprint when Aaron moved in to capture her.
Now we have her, & i am thinking it is too late for tonight to get her to MARS, but i turn on the computer & start advertising for a ride for them.
Almost immediately i get a message from the rescue fella on Denman, Mike, saying he can transport the Goose across Denman.
i am a bit slow thinking that time of day, but after discussing with Aaron, we realize this could work.
i call MARS, expecting to get an answering machine, but i get a person!
& she is game to come to Buckley Bay to meet Mike with the kennel & the Goose!
Friday there are late ferries, so it is our lucky day.
Aaron is tired, but agrees to put the Goose on the 10 ferry from Hornby.
Mike will meet it on the other side & take to Buckley Bay.
Mike contacts me later that the transfer to MARS took place at Buckley Bay.
WOW!
That went well.
No word back yet on what was up with this Goose.
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Great teamwork, booni!  So nice to have people willing to help.    :eclove

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 08:32:27 AM »

Update on our Goose.
Mike Nester, who lives on Denman & does wildlife rescue, did a delivery & pick up for us yesterday & asked about our Goose.
Found out the goose died on June 10
They were unable to find the paperwork on it but recalled the goose was quite emaciated...
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 08:49:29 AM »

i think it was tuesday night, i was pooped & winding down my day when the phone rang.
i was in the middle of something so let it go to message.
When i checked the message, it was Marielle, from the Saltspring Seal pup rescue, asking me to call her back.
By the time i got back to her, Aaron was already on it.
Yay!
Marielle said there was a premature pup on Dunlop Point.
The tide had been out & now it was coming in.
i was VERY grateful that Aaron didn*t mind hunting for the pup, as i was done in, & couldn*t imagine scouring that huge point for a Seal pup.
Aaron showed up while i was on the phone with Marielle, so she hung up.
He*d already loaded the tub but wanted two towels.
i got him two & off he went.
Well, it turned out he found the pup no problem!
There were people staying in the house on the Point & they were the ones who had been watching the pup out there since the day before.
At first they were just curious, but then they realized something was wrong & called the Vancouver Aquarium, who then called Marielle, who called me & Aaron.
So they were able to point out the pup to Aaron who had the pup in hand & called me back before i could even blink.
Yay!
& Aaron has a boat now, so he took the pup straight to Deep Bay to meet the volunteers who would drive the pup to other volunteers who would get him to Saltspring.
Yay!
Here are some fotos taken by the people who originally spotted the pup & figured out something was wrong.
Marielle can tell by the fotos that this pup was born premature.
There is no way the mother would leave the pup alone & unfed like this, she spends the first two weeks with the pup exclusively.
There is misinformation out there big time that the mother is out feeding herself when a pup is found like this.
People watch & wait & the pup suffers & starves & gets dehydrated or even eaten alive.
Marielle knows her stuff.
i just do what she tells me to.
When they are premature, they have white fur, like this.

june 25 2019 - premature Seal pup

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 09:08:58 AM »

Yesterday morning i got a facebook message that they had found a young Robin that was unable to fly, in their driveway.
i wasn*t sure about this, so i told them to call MARS & see what they said.
Well they said bring the Robin in, so they captured the youngster & brought them to me in a box with air holes cut in it.
i got to work on finding a ride for the Robin.
i posted to all the Hornby facebook pages, but no one was noticing.
Then i got a message that someone might be taking a dog to the vet, in which case they would also take the Robin.
But then it was decided that the dog didn*t need to go to the vet.
The person who brought me the Bird suggested i call Mike Nestor, who lives on Denman, & who does wildlife rescue too.
He was the one who came over & rescued the downed Niner Eaglet, way back when.
Turned out he was going to town anyway & would take in the Robin & also pick up our kennel from the Goose capture!
i took the Robin to the noon ferry & handed them to the dubious ferry worker fella at the gate.
But it worked out perfectly & Mike was there to take the box with him in to town!
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 12:35:40 AM »
So many birds and animals who need help!  Thank you, booni, and all the other special people who help wildlife.   :heart