Author Topic: Ford Cove nest - 2018-19 season  (Read 897 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Ford Cove nest - 2018-19 season
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »
On April 9, from the outer dock, I saw an eagle landing on the nest that had slumped down last year. It looked nicely rebuilt. The pile from last year's slumped nest is dimly visible, a few branches below where the eagle is landing.

April 9

Finally today I went to have a look from the top of the cliff.
It's a confusing view at first, because the lower branch pile looks as if it should be the nest. From the cliff top, the actual nest looks much smaller.  In this next photo it is at the centre of the image. 
July 1st, 2:35 pm

Click on the photo to enlarge it... Can you see it?
One lovely eaglet.

Dark feathers on the head and mantle, but still the grey down with some black feathers emerging on the breast.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 08:50:36 PM »
While I was watching the nest for signs of a second eaglet, this beautiful bird landed above me: a Townsend's Warbler, one of the species that breed here. This is a female; the male is even more colourful.
July 1st, 2:15 pm

Just after I left the area, I heard lots of calls, at least two eagles, maybe three.
Then after a while I heard a whoosh of wings, and saw an eagle flying low through the thick forest. This is always so impressive to see! This one slalomed among the trees and went to perch just a few metres from the ground. Visitors sometimes do that, maybe to avoid being seen.
2:20

And now for some more recent news of this territory: yesterday, someone told me that a pair of eagles are actively building onto the old Nest 32. I'm wondering if it's a different pair, and if, as in Helliwell Park, the territory has been split in two? This would make sense given the increase in population. Something else to check out.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 02:38:11 AM »
Gorgeous Warbler!  :eclove
I like the thought of territory sharing as long as there is enough food to prevent fights. :ohno

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »
Here is a photo of the older nest, the one we've been calling Nest 32. I went to check it out today.

July 16, 12:45

This is a gigantic tree, and the nest doesn't look all that big, but it is.
What I see is branches all the same colour. No fading or red fir needles, no grasses or lichen. Also no sign of eaglets: no poopshots on the adjacent branches, no bits of down.
There were no eagles around.

Now I'd better ask for details of what was actually seen. There is another nest site hidden in the woods behind this one, so one question to ask is where exactly were the eagles delivering their branches? was the destination visible?

The plot thickens...

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 08:06:18 AM »
huge nest too!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »
Update from the Ford Cove neighbours.

They clearly saw eagles breaking dried branches and carrying them to this nest (Nest 32, which had been unoccupied).

Very interesting!

So it could be that the territory is in the process of being subdivided. With the Heron Rocks now on the edge of Olsen Farm, and the original Ford Cove tenants being across the bay, a little closer to Shingle Spit, maybe there is now room for a territory in between?

It is certainly not unknown for a pair that is currently without an eaglet to start working on a new nest in the middle of the summer...
We had an example in the Belcarra territory last summer... Click here to see the relevant post.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 02:24:21 AM »
very interesting - maybe you will be able to  say for sure next season. :ecsmile