Author Topic: North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre (Vancouver Island)  (Read 67264 times)

Offline Blue

• HEG
Re: North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 09:00:52 PM »
Hi Sunny,

If you can't find anything recent that isn't posted in this thread (NIWRC) or the MARS thread, there isn't anywhere else.

boonibarb has posted some videos this afternoon in the Hornby Nest threads in Around Hornby Island of Brig before he was rescued, also Niner's sibling.
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »
I've had a reply from Robin on how Decker is doing. They can always use donations for their wonderful work. http://niwra.org/

Hi,

We were given Decker with little knowledge or work being done on him , we are looking at a long term problem with no quick fix .    Decker was suffering from severe malnutrition which has caused a lot of  feather damage, and is going to be with us for a long time. He will probably have to go through a full moult and he is in poor body condition and will have to develop a good muscle base before release. This is so he  will be able to compete in the wild for food.
This Bird will need to be in rehab for a long time.
Thank you for your interest and you are welcome to get a hold of me next spring to see how he is doing.

Robin Campbell   manager                
 NIWRA

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »
Thanks to passerine and Robin for the information.

Seeing as Decker will be in rehab so long, his costs will be a lot for NIWRC. We might consider sponsoring his release next year when some of the local members can attend the release.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »
Thank you Passerine for checking about Decker and sharing Robin's reply with us.  I wonder why they didn't have information from MARS about Decker and what was done there for him? Maj and the others at MARS were very concerned and worked hard to get him to where he could go to NIWRC.

That's a good idea, Blue.  Let's work out a plan for helping to raise some money to donate for Decker's care and toward sponsoring his release when he's able to leave and be on his own.  A moult takes time and his muscle development will, also.  Hmmmm...we should be able to raise some money for his care along the way.   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
Robin was ill the day Decker was dropped off as otherwise he was thinking of joining in on the release. Maj was in a bit of a rush at the time too as she needed to get Niner & Brig to the river for release so i don't imagine they had a lot of time to talk. Maj probably knew the same amount of infomation as Robin has, as she also knew of the malnutrition which takes time to fix. :heart

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
<snip>
That's a good idea, Blue.  Let's work out a plan for helping to raise some money to donate for Decker's care and toward sponsoring his release when he's able to leave and be on his own.  A moult takes time and his muscle development will, also.  Hmmmm...we should be able to raise some money for his care along the way.   :nod2

It is something to think about, Tigerlady, for sure. Lets wait until the new year and see how he is doing.  :nod2

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »
Robin was ill the day Decker was dropped off as otherwise he was thinking of joining in on the release. Maj was in a bit of a rush at the time too as she needed to get Niner & Brig to the river for release so i don't imagine they had a lot of time to talk. Maj probably knew the same amount of infomation as Robin has, as she also knew of the malnutrition which takes time to fix. :heart

:dunno  I don't understand Robin's reply; perhaps he was in a hurry.
Decker was treated at MARS for dehydration and emaciation immediately after examination upon arrival. He was treated for endo and ectoparasites as well (second treatment repeated). I have Decker's intake weight, subsequent weight gain, a small loss when the other eaglets were transferred and thereafter, gains prior to transfer to NorthIsland.   The malnutriton he had suffered prior to rescue was long-term (i.e., in the nest, and until the time he was admitted to MARS).   I expect Robin will continue to feed him a well-balanced diet, adlib, continue to check him for parasites and take good care of him too.
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:37 AM »
I know the eagles in the flight cage get salmon & daily or weekly vitamin/mineral supplements. They probably also get quail eggs & quail not sure but the other raptors there get quail.

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »
  Thank you passerine  for the update on decker . I know he is in good hands  :ecsmile

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 09:14:25 PM »
Thank you for the report on Decker... I know Maj was also aware of problems with malnutrition which caused a problem with his feathers, as she told me about it. She also told me he would be there for a long time and hopefully could eventually be released... we will have to wait and see on that one. Should know more I think when he has molted.

Anyway, I know they will do everything in their power to see that Decker gets everything he needs to get healthy again.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 07:50:19 AM »
Decker is in the best place possible for his recovery and development.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
thanks so much for the update on Decker - it will be interesting to see where his journey leads. I'm glad he's in good hands and receiving the best possible care. The good people at North Island will learn a lot from this special bird.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
It's comforting to know that Decker is in the best place for achieving good health and for getting ready to be released into the wild. (hopefully). :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 02:06:42 PM »
In my opinion, Decker is also being cared for by the kindest man on earth ...Robin Campbell.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
NEWS FROM NIWRC

Fresh snowfall this week at NIWRC (Jan5)

"We now have 7 Eagles in our flight cage recovering from various injuries and they will be practising flying in the cage until they are once again able to be released back to the wild."