Author Topic: Cascades Raptor Center (Oregon)  (Read 41695 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Cascades Raptor Center
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »
Louise is amazing!  I met her two or three times while visiting CRC.  And we met again at a symposium by OWCN (Oiled Wildlife Care Network).
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
Here's a slide show of the Cascades Raptor Center.

(click the picture to begin the show)

The outdoor aviaries are in the trees, a natural setting for the birds.  If any of you find yourself in Eugene, Oregon, you should visit CRC!
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdH91-5VB1A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdH91-5VB1A</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7KRoTQCS-M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7KRoTQCS-M</a>
Jean, California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »
Thanks beans, it looks like a wonderful place for birds. Are the birds non-releasable, for the most part?

Offline hairchoppr

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
Here’s the post you’ve been waiting for … about our chance to win a Toyota Highlander!  Feel free to forward and share.  We’ll need everybody’s help to win next week.  Just picture us tooling around town with a giant paint job of Lorax and Freyja and Celilo on a car…  We’ll remind you all again on the 21st – but you can set up your own reminder to vote by following the steps below.

Cascades Raptor Center is one of 500 non-profit finalists in Toyota’s 100 Cars for Good contest. Each day, for 100 days starting in May, five finalists compete for votes on facebook for the Toyota vehicle they’ve requested.  That means, on July 21st, with your help, we have the opportunity to win a hybrid Toyota Highlander!

WHY do we want a company car?  With only 3 staff members and over 100 volunteers, CRC covers an area larger than the state of Connecticut for both rescue and education. We would use an organization vehicle for all those things we currently do in our personal cars: rescuing injured birds; transporting them to veterinary clinics and eventually back for release; taking education birds, perches, and artifacts to schools; picking up feed and supplies; carrying our booth and displays to events; and more. With an easily identifiable vehicle, even running errands can build community awareness! Having a reliable car will make responding to 24/7 Hotline calls easier, and having an efficient car will maintain our commitment to sustainability and keep costs down for us.

HOW can people help?  By voting for us on July 21st!  And to help ensure that they remember, people can go right now to set up a reminder to vote on July 21st:

(1) go to www.facebook.com/Toyota (or the link below), which will take you to the current days' contestants,

(2) find us under 'view contestants' via one of the drop down menus: C for Cascades Raptor Center or OR for Oregon in 'search by location,'

(3) click on our name, and ask for a reminder to vote on July 21st.  We'll then need you, of course, to actually vote for us and to please spread the word to others who could vote!

(You're welcome to forward this post to family and friends or put it out on your facebook page, for example. In fact, we'd love it if you would do just that!  If you don't have a facebook page, perhaps you could forward it to folks you know that do.)

We have some stiff competition that day, with two other wildlife centers, a domestic animal shelter, and a senior center.  Everyone’s needs are important, no question - but we still hope you’ll not only vote for us but share information with others in your circle of facebook friends. 

WHO: For those who may not know who we are (for example, if you forward this to friends), we are a 21 year old non-profit nature center and wildlife hospital specializing in raptors (birds of prey). Check us out at www.eRaptors.org.  Through wildlife rehabilitation and public education, Cascades Raptor Center fosters a connection between people and birds of prey. Our goal is to help the human part of the natural community learn to value, understand, and honor the role of wildlife in our shared world.

To accomplish this, CRC has two primary means: Rehabilitation and release of orphaned, sick, and injured wildlife, primarily birds of prey, using the highest standards of medical treatment and care, and the best facilities possible. Public Education designed to enhance the awareness, respect, appreciation, and care of the earth and all its inhabitants so critical for a balanced and healthy planet. CRC uses live, permanently disabled/non-releasable birds, along with visual media and written material, to create a positive, first-hand experience of wildlife through on-site visits to the Nature Center and off-site presentations and exhibits at schools and public events. 

Thank you from us and the birds of CRC! The birds really could use their own set of wheels!

Louise Shimmel, Executive Director, Cascades Raptor Center

Eugene OR USA - 541-485-1320 -  www.eRaptors.org

Stay in touch with Cascades Raptor Center:

On our Blog - the Talon: http://eraptors.wordpress.com/

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »
hairchopper, I'll be visiting CRC end of this month.  Thanks for posting that information about the Toyota.  CRC could sure use another car!
Jean, California

Offline hairchoppr

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
Oh beans call me and let me know when!

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
I'm so excited CRC won one of the 100 Toyotas donated by Toyota!  I voted for CRC and so did a lot of other people.

Watch two sweet videos here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J49_bTftiI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J49_bTftiI</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzI6wsC3i4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzI6wsC3i4</a>

Yay!!!!
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
:eclol

Isn't that great Beans?! Hornby chatters make it happen again!!

:hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »
Love the videos. So glad they won a vehicle.  :eclove
beth
from California

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
Best news I've heard in a long time!   "Hairchoppr" and the chatters clued me in and I voted!

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
I emailed friends and they voted, too!
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
Well I have the best news to post here.  As many of you may know, we have a beautiful Raven in Lindsay Wildlife Hospital.  He came in as a fledgling and cannot be released back into the wild because of vision problems. 

For months, we've been looking for a place that will take him and train him as an education bird.  Two places were considered, but neither of them worked out.  He's a year old and he's beautiful.

I asked AJL for help, and she suggested I call two places, one of which was Cascades Raptor Center.  I've visited there a number of times and even talked Louise Shimmel into letting me work a volunteer shift.  I knew there was already a Raven in residence and asked if she had room for one more.  She told me their Raven of 20 years had passed away.  This is very sad, because the Raven was friendly, smart, and adored by everyone.  The Board of Directors at CRC approved the transfer!  And then after several weeks, both California and Oregon departments of wildlife gave their stamp of approval.

He will be going to his new home in about a week!  Those of you who have visited CRC know how very beautiful it is, with large aviaries shaded by tall trees.  The education birds have superb care & enrichment.  There is also a hospital, where many injured birds are brought in for rehab.

Video:  I’m a Raven!

I'm a beautiful Raven living in an excellent wildlife hospital in California.  I cannot be released back into the wild because I don't see very well.  But I'm soon going to a new home at Cascades Raptor Center!  I've had excellent care where I've been living, but my life will be fuller and more exciting in my new home, where I'll be trained to be an education bird.  I'm looking forward to that!  I like to have my neck scratched and my beak stroked.  Not quite ready to be stroked under my wings:  I'm a little ticklish.  And since this video was made, I've grown a new tail!

Common Raven
Corvus corax

Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
Wonderful news beans!  He is a busy little guy. :ecwink He will be happy in his new home.  :biggrin6

Is the story of his vision here somewhere?
beth
from California

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »
Thank you for the update, Beans.  I am so glad this raven will have a good place to live as well as activities as an education bird.  A new home and new adventures to keep his brilliant corvid brain busy;  just what Dr. Beans prescribed!

Beans, thank you for the work you do for wildlife.  :heart   
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)