Author Topic: REGI (The Raptor Education Group)  (Read 28540 times)

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Re: REGI (The Raptor Education Group)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
the  eagles keep arriving at REGI

This one is a young female who had string wrapped around her leg - she weighed only 4 pounds when she arrived at REGI on September 4.   She was rescued by a family who found her near an ATV trail - they were talked through the rescue by REGI

The pictures on this blog page took forever to load, but it is a documentation of the rescue:  http://www.2dorks.com/Eagle.html

Video of the rescue:  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EbOaFMkqc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EbOaFMkqc</a>

Herky on the scale (photo copyright REGI)

Update on REGI blog ("Herky" is doing well).    http://raptoreducationgroup.blogspot.com/2011/09/herky-update-bald-eagles-x2-admitted.html

snip from the blog:  
Herky remains in critical condition but has begun to gain a few ounces.  Starving birds actually continue to lose weight after admission even with supplemental feeding.  Their body is in a negative balance and it takes a bit for that to balance out.  It is a scary thing to see the scale drop but joyful when it starts to move in the other direction.  Herky is being cooperative and seems comfortable with her situation.  She is still receiving antibiotics and an anitfungal drug to prevent aspergillosis which can occur in a bird as compromised as Herky. She is definitely happy about getting food even when it means she is getting it through a tube.  We do not have to restrain her when feeding time comes!  She has begun to make some soft calls which is another step in the right direction.

Herky is aware of the world around her which is different than when she was admitted less than a week ago.  We admitted 2 other Bald Eagles this week and she is aware that they are in enclosures next to her and is interested particularly in the adult.  

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »
Very good rescue by that family!  I hope that the eagle will recover and do well.   :eclove

ETA:  Update on Herky, the eagle:

http://raptoreducationgroup.blogspot.com/ 
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
Herky update, September 24, 2011:

" We love great stories here at REGI.  Improbable success stories, are all the sweeter.  We are honored to live the recovery stories along with our patients."
" "Herky" the Bald Eagle rescued near Hayward, WI by the Bill Obenauf family, of Davenport, Iowa is doing great.  She has gained weight by leaps and bounds and is starting to fly again.  Herky weighed in this morning at 7.094 lbs which is a gain of 3 lbs in the twenty days since she was admitted."

Whoohooo!   

http://raptoreducationgroup.blogspot.com/
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »
Ajl, thank you for the update on Herky.  She's making remarkable progress!  Bless the family that saved her!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
Herky looks much feistier than she did when rescued (at 4 pounds).   :eclove

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »
Yay!!

Great news all around.

:hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
Awww, what good progress. Herky looks terrific!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline ccfan

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
sounds like she is a wonderful handful
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
Quote from: Marge Gibson
Herky is the terror of her flight room!  She is bossy and LOUD. She screams at everyone else during feeding time as it to say, "step away from the food" or else. In general Herky is "feeling her oats". We sometimes see this behavior in eaglets when they have been through a traumatic situation.  It seems they are so pleased to have survived, they take life to an entirely new level.

This comment made me smile as I remembered Robin Campbell's similar comments about Decker at his release.  I have a feeling Shredder is becoming a handful too - all good signs that they will make the most of their second chance.  Feisty is good when you're a wild bald eagle!
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline zuzcat

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »
So glad to see the update on Herky.  Wishing him/her well on his/her road to complete recovery.  Thank you for posting.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
News article about 5 Bald eagles admitted to REGI in  a 36-hour period. Marge Gibson noted on Facebook that the 10% noted in the article is not correct - they can save a higher percentage if they can "get the birds in quickly and begin treatment."

Link: http://www.wjfw.com/stories.html?sku=20111024192728

Wildlife Rehabbers Alarmed at Bald Eagle Lead Poisoning    10/24/2011

excerpt:  The eagles were found in critical condition, having probably ingested lead from ammunition or eating fish that swallowed sinkers. Both of those products are offered lead-free, but buying them hasn't caught on enough to prevent these incidents from happening.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
PLEASE VOTE!

Chase is giving 100 small charities over $3MM in grants and REGI is in the running ---  in the first two days, they were #98 with 157 votes.

Voting ends Nov. 22.

When the results are tallied, the following grants will be made.
    $250,000 to the Charity receiving the most votes (rank 1);
    $100,000 to the runner-up Charities (ranks 2-5); and
    $25,000 to the next runner–up Charities (ranks 6-100).

Over 3 million people use the Chase Giveaway app on Facebook (I am one) - you can vote for more than one charity, but it would be terrific to see REGI get one of these grants.

https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/391772318-regi?src=vote_share

You can follow REGI on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/RaptorEducationGroupInc

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
Thanks for letting us know about this opportunity. I voted!
beth
from California

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
I just reserved a spot in the last tour of REGI for this season. The color up in that area is nearly at Peak, so the 3 hour drive should be lovely, and the weather is what we'd refer to as "crisp."

I understand that REGI has many patients, including several birds with West Nile Virus. It is a particularly virulent strain this year. Luckily, this is the first year they'll have Fall interns, thanks to donations from a builder who constructed a new bunkhouse. I hope to have some pictures to share with everybody when I return.
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »
Faerie, I will be most interested to see your pictures! Marge is an amazing woman!