Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 122533 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #975 on: December 11, 2018, 02:57:58 AM »
Beautiful sunset, Deb.  Looks like a painting.  Nice shot of the Nuthatch in flight. 
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #976 on: December 12, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
I had a visit at our raptor rehab center the other day.  We are getting ready to build mews to house 3 education birds at my work place.  When we were done she asked if we could take two birds that had healed from their injuries and were ready to be released.  Of course there was no hesitation ,  yes would love to.  One was a Red Tail and the second was a Rough legged.  I had a coworker with me so I thought it would be neat for her to release the RT and the RL needed to go farther west, so I would take that one on my own.  The RL had been found in April with a broken wing, by the time the wing had healed it was too late for it to be released since they leave to head north for the summer.  So this hawk has been here for a long time and now is the time the RL's return from the north to winter here.   The afternoon light is going but the clouds opened to give us a nice golden sunset.  It is a  great way to end a busy day (traveled 150 miles to release them). 

Free to fly over the prairie again

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #977 on: December 12, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
Very nice and good photos of you, too!    :thumbup:

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #978 on: December 29, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
During the winter the bald eagles leave their nest territories and lots gather around a lake in central Nebraska called Johnson Lake.  There is usually open water no matter how cold and can get food there.  I found a couple of them even though they were not really close.  Interesting that the turkeys were plentiful in the trees also.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #979 on: December 29, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »
Not sure about these Canada Geese,  I think they are pretty funny characters.  Look at those tongues and then this one has leftovers on its bill.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #980 on: December 29, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »
Habitat is so important,  there is a marsh wetland that was restored with the help of different organizations.  Many benefit from it like the birds, raptors and other critters.  I have seen a number of pheasants - which many say are in decline because the red tail hawks and other raptors prey on them (which is really false)  Today I went out there and the water is all frozen and snow on the ground but was able to see a number of harriers flying, the pheasants came out to the edge of the gravel road, a little mouse scurried into a little hole and then as the sun had set the short eared owls flew in.

Taking pictures in low light is so challenging but at least you can see the photos even though they are not the best.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #981 on: December 30, 2018, 03:33:46 AM »
Wowowow Deb - what a wonderful place and variety of species for you. Thanks for sharing.

Online Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #982 on: December 30, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
Fantastic captures!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #983 on: January 06, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
When you know you have just a little time to get outside for a little hike and enjoy some bird watching, and come across the best little find - it sure makes your day.  We were celebrating my family Christmas later in the afternoon so I went out for a bit to look for any song birds.  Well there were many and they were pretty busy flying around and making all sorts of noise.  I was having a hard time trying to focus on them because of the tree branches.  Some of the birds were juncos, cardinals, blue jays, wrens, nuthatch, downy woodpecker.  So I was really excited but something else caught my eye.....  it was a lump sitting on a little stump of a branch.  It blended in so well,  the camouflage was awesome.  Standing there taking pictures and people would come by and would be asking  "what are you taking photos of,  just a tree?"  Then ever so careful I would guide them to a little spot on the tree and say "look at that little fluffy ball,  that is a screech owl enjoying the sunshine".  Enjoy this cute little screech owl.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #984 on: January 06, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
Nice find, Deb.  It pays to take time to look carefully when you're outside!   :thumbup:

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #985 on: January 07, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
I love all owls, great or small  :nod2 - they are my number one favourite birds (don't let the eagles know that). :eceek  The Screech owl is my number one favourite of the owls.  :ecsmile  :heart :eclove. Thanks for the  photo of that sweet little fellow Deb.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #986 on: January 26, 2019, 10:20:27 PM »
There was a Lunar eclipse that just passed.  It was also called the Full Blood Lunar Eclipse,  this meaning that because of the eclipse the moon takes on a reddish color.  For my area it was going to be an iffy event,  clouds were forecast but I was hoping they would not form a total cloud cover.  As it started t was pretty cool to see the moon surrounded by clouds.  I kept checking and taking a picture every little bit.  Pretty soon I could tell more clouds were moving in,  dang they need to hold off till at least the moon is in the total shadow of the earth so I can see the red color.  It is not looking good,  I can barely find the moon,  just a little break and I see just the sliver of the moon.  The next time I look and it should be in totality and it is no where to be seen except this strange dark red glow in the clouds.  Here are some photos as the eclipse began and continued. 

the last bit of moon that I saw,  then it was covered by clouds

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #987 on: February 01, 2019, 06:18:54 AM »
Winter is a time when I can see a number of Eagles.  They seem to gather at a couple of places that the water remains open even in the bitter cold.  Plus the trees don't have leaves and they are easier to see while perched on the branches.  They like to sit out on the ice near the open water and fish.   

I had some time out at Johnson's Lake after some winter weather.  Here is a few pics of eagles in the fog and on some iced up branches.

Even an American Kestrel was perched on the frosty wire.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #988 on: February 01, 2019, 06:24:27 AM »
Eagle watching after the fog,  so glad there was some clear skies.  One eagles was not happy about having to share the tree with another eagle.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #989 on: February 01, 2019, 06:48:22 AM »
Sunsets can be so peaceful,  I know everyone has been witness to some amazing ones.  You have the brilliant colors, cool clouds and amazing landscapes.  Last night I saw this one.

Into the trees after sunset