Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 137083 times)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #915 on: August 11, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
I made a quick weekend trip to the Niobrara River and did a kayak trip along with seeing some of the special places from the sandhills.  Smith Falls is always amazing, it is the tallest waterfall in Nebraska (not like we have many anyways).  The Norden Chute is another neat thing to see.  Not taking my kayak over that drop off.  As the sun was coming up there was fog in the river valley.  Here an eagle flew by, as you can see the hill side shows the burnt trees from the fire that came through in 2012.  Was burned so bad that these trees will never recover

This last one is of the sandhills.  The sunflowers were all around and that hill has a blow out,  that is the erosion because of the sandy soil.
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #916 on: August 11, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
Beautiful waterfall, Deb!    :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #917 on: August 13, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »
This morning two things happened with the monarchs that I have been fostering. The first was I knew that one was going to emerge sometime today,  the trick is watching at the right time.  It happens so fast and you miss that very first moment that they open the chrysalis and then start coming out.  I rushed to take a shower- nothing happening, I got off to work- nothing happening.  I got the other staff on watch also.  Finally a bit of movement.........I get my camera on my phone ready,  I see a slight split on the side of the chrysalis and sure enough it is happening.  All eyes are now watching and waiting to finally witness the monarch emerge.  After it emerges there are a few things that Has to take place, it must make sure it doesn't fall, it needs to zip the proboscis, the wings need to straighten out and then dry.  When that is done and it is getting restless it is ready for release.  One of the neatest moments is seeing them flutter off for its next adventure.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3g6DyxBf8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3g6DyxBf8</a>

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #918 on: August 13, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »
Just a warning that you may not want to look at the video posted below.  I mentioned two things happened this morning.  This is the story of what happened with the second chrysalis.  I have never had a chrysalis fail but today I noticed that this chrysalis was looking strange.  I noticed that half of the chrysalis was dark at the bottom and the top was still kinda green but then another odd blotchy color on the back side.  I had my coworkers look at this and we noticed a small hole in the chrysalis and that we could see some movement inside.  Not a good sign.  Right before our eyes something started to come out of the chrysalis,  it was light in color and then another started to come out.   Oh it was the larva from a Tachinid fly.  They parasite the caterpillars.  The good thing is all the other caterpillars are safe.

Warning you don't have to watch the video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJbGIId92w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJbGIId92w</a>

Here is the chrysalis and then one of the larva

I hope this doesn't happen again to any of my monarchs.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #919 on: August 21, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
By the looks of things falling from the tree, 1) maybe a tree trimmer, 2) a bad storm last night that I didn't hear, 3) must be nest building time for the squirrel.
 Got the camera and started looking closer and sure enough there she was busy as can be snipping little branches and hauling them to a nest.  Yes the nest is right over our driveway so that is why the leaves on the drive.  Must be a sure sign of fall approaching.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #920 on: August 21, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
I guess it is not to late to have baby birds.  I found an egg shell a while ago on the driveway, my car while sitting outside the garage was christened by a bird poop.  Today while watching the squirrel work on her nest a dove landed on a branch below and I saw some dark shadows moving around by the adult dove.  Oh boy two little doves were getting their dinner.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #921 on: August 21, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
you have the best yard!!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #922 on: August 21, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
 :eclove what a gift!

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #923 on: August 22, 2018, 03:30:03 AM »
I had no idea that these things could happen so late in the season!! Hope  they are  able to   make it through winter.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #924 on: August 22, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
Lovely sighting, Deb!

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #925 on: August 24, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »
I love getting a chance to see the fall flowers come alive with the hummingbird moths, hummingbirds and butterflys.

This is a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly,  they are fairly large

A couple of sphinx moths flying together

Another kind of hummingbird moth,  Titan

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #926 on: August 24, 2018, 10:11:31 PM »
All so colorful, Deb!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #927 on: August 27, 2018, 07:44:39 PM »
Best part of volunteering for our Raptor center is getting to do a release.  Even better is when you did the rescue and the bird makes a full recovery and gets to be released by me.  For owls they need to be released around sunset or close to it so photos are a bit hard.  This night I was by myself and thought I would do a video and do it in slow motion.
 She was on my glove and just looked around,  stretched her wings once, looked around as if to say " Oh I am back home"  She then took off heading for a nice tree.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-c391zd_8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-c391zd_8</a>

This is the best part of being a rescuer   :heart

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #928 on: August 28, 2018, 02:40:28 AM »
Neat video Deb - now you can add multitasking to you resume :-)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #929 on: August 28, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
Happy day for the owl and you, Deb!    :eclove