Author Topic: Tributes to Maj  (Read 11183 times)

Offline OpieK

Re: Tributes to Maj
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »
I too am so grateful to have met Maj at MARS and observed her at work.  She was so patient and kind and will be sorely missed.

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 04:31:14 PM »
Maj had such an influence on us all!  Her love of wildlife shone through everything she did, and I feel honored she would come in chat to greet each of us!  I am so very sorry for everyone's loss!  I never met Maj, but her spirit was so strong I feel as if she would be a friend to any eagle lover! Rest in peace, Maj!  Your dedication has inspired many!  Your spirit will live long!  :eclove

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »
Our Eagle Nester Hearts are broken, but Maj, you are the glue that holds them all together. I can imagine you now with your nifty hat and your magic wand, making our hearts light here on the Forum and in the chatroom. I send my sincere condolences to the staff of MARS and to your family and friends. We will miss you.   :heart

Darci
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline ostrich

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
   I am sorry I was never able to meet Maj in person - but I looked forward to every time she would visit us in chat,  and give us a window into the work she did,  and the amazing knowledge she had about the birds and nature.  Such a sad loss. 

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
I am so saddened at the loss of Maj Birch.  What a wonderful spirit she exuded.  Her legacy will live on at MARS and her loving spirit will live on in all she touched. (Feathered, Furred and Human alike). My deepest condolences to her family and friends. 

Offline typoscount2

• HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »

In rememberace of Maj

there will be an informal gathering in chat starting at  2 pm pacific (nest ) time
today ,November 25th.

I have been typoscount2  & nsbirder then Non4now, but no more,
onward to       ImpInNS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornby-Eagle-Group-Projects-Society/292341380792123

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »

Maj took time to share with many people who came to visit MARS.  The staff was so wonderful and kind,  to them they will miss a Co-Worker, Mentor and Friend.  For us that came to visit and to experience just a small part of what goes on it was magical.  We carry on and hope to make a difference in our own part of the world.  Thanks Maj for your kindness and time you spent with us while visiting in person or in Chat.  Your Dream will continue for sure - with Love Deb
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
This was created to be read by HEGPS at the Celebration of Maj's life in Courtenay this afternoon.

We offer our deepest sympathies to Maj's family, friends, colleagues and community and mourn this profound loss with you.  

Our group has followed the lives of two Bald eagles on Hornby Island since 2006. In 2010, the eagles had one chick, Phoenix.  
Shortly before she should have fledged, she showed signs of illness and MARS was contacted.
 After watching the webcam to assess her condition, Maj made every effort to have the eaglet removed from the nest. It was not to be.  
Phoenix, stricken with an acute and untreatable disease, died as hundreds of shocked viewers looked on.

Maj came into our chat room then to comfort, to commiserate and to explain.

Moved by the plight of the eaglet, viewers expressed their sympathy by making donations to MARS in her name, so that they could purchase equipment and medications, and undertake research that might help such birds in the future.

Unbeknownst to us at the time, MARS was in a financial crisis and Maj was facing the possibility of having to close the facility.
Phoenix's legacy helped keep MARS going and in her honour, Maj chose to call the 2011 Campbell River Eagle Festival "The Phoenix Legacy", and named MARS' mascot Phoenix.
Maj, MARS and our group are entwined by the eaglet Phoenix and the mythical Phoenix, and the very real cycles through which life always has, and always will, spring from ashes.

Maj was a treasured member of the Hornby Eagle family.  She shared her insights, her wonderful stories, her incredible humour and her fears and hopes for the natural world. She encouraged others to strive for a healthier environment rather than giving up when challenges seem overwhelming.
She fostered compassion and empathy and taught us that every life, no matter how large or small, matters.  She sowed seeds of change where ever she found fertile ground.  

She inspired the eagle cam ground crew on Hornby Island to train with her and to take the International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council's Introduction to Wildlife Rehabilitation class, so that they could properly evaluate, capture and transport injured and orphaned wildlife. This in turn inspired other viewers to volunteer at their local wildlife rehabilitation centres across North America. Many also created and donated art for auction and fundraising events for MARS and for their local centres.
We voted in contests, we responded to crises, we championed nature and we turned sorrow to action.    

Maj influenced innumerable lives both human and wild; We are all better people  for having known her.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote,

"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

Undoubtedly, Maj has succeeded.

We love you Maj, now and always.  Fly strong, dear friend.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:03:36 PM by NancyM »

Offline gzebear

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »
All that I have learned from Maj without ever having met her in person - about birds, about life, about rehab, about people - I can't begin to say. But in her passing, she has left me with this familiar message:

Whatever it is you dream of doing, do it. That woman you so want to meet and hug and work beside, go meet her now. That place you want to see, those birds, those friends ... go. That thing you want to do, begin. Because you never know when it will become an impossibility.

My condolences to all who have known and loved Maj Birch - family, friends, co-workers, all this great wide community. I am sad for your loss but know that you are comforted by the many memories you hold in your hearts.  

Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than when you found it.   ~Wilfred Peterson

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »

november 25 2015 17:13 - Moon rise

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us1J_Sl3bUE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us1J_Sl3bUE</a>

wooohoooo!

Offline joyofdogs

• Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 05:55:16 AM »
I met Maj when Phoenix died and living in close proximity I began to volunteer at MARS for a time. We became good friends and over the years shared a few adventures together. She was an extraordinary woman - kind, insightful, funny, passionate, and strong. She will be missed to so many people and by the wildlife she loved and cared for.

Thank you, Maj, for being a part of our lives.
'Material things can't make the soul whole;
only love, trust, and a community of friends can do that.' ~ moi

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »

Please join us for the Wipe Away the Tears Ceremony on Sunday, November 29th at 4PM nest time, 7PM EST.
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »
Maj, we miss you.   :heart  Here is a poem for Maj.

For A Moment -
A tribute to Maj Birch:
A hero to wildlife; An inspiration to live life with purpose and passion.

For a moment the birds were silent
Sensing something new was in the air
Should they be scared and fearful?
They didn't feel prepared

They sensed their world had changed
They knew their champion was gone
They were sorrowful and frightened
Then they suddenly felt calmed

"I am still here with you
Just in a different form
With you in the winter cold
And when the sun is warm

I wrap you in my spirit
As once I held you in my arms
Protecting and healing
When you had suffered harm

Do not mourn my leaving
For there are others still who care
I taught them well to help you
In my place they will be there

Those who knew me will continue
To do all that they can
To protect you and your world
And offer loving hearts and hands"

Comforted by Maj's message
The birds' songs began anew
They rejoiced in her presence, and
For awhile with her they flew

Maj's journey has not finished
I send her love as she moves along
Knowing that in those she taught and loved
Her mission and passion will live on.

Soar on, Maj. Fly with the eagles!

luvthebirds
11-29-2015
©luvthebirds 2015

Maj (with Semi, Jan. 2012)

Maj with Semi (2) by luvthebirds, on Flickr
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »

Watch waves gently lap the shore; hear the song of a sparrow, the call of the Great Blue Heron; listen to the wind softly blow through leafy boughs; sit on a rock or beneath a tree; stare at the night sky and catch the voice of an ancient star.  
All of Nature is alive.  All of Nature speaks.

You spend much of your time surrounded by these gifts from our Creator, and you accept them with a Native heart.  A true connection to the Spirit World, these gifts carry the message of yesterday, the promise of tomorrow and the joy of now.
You walk with NAMAJI — in dignity, pride, honor and respect.

You will always be with me; with all of us.  You will be within the whisper of the trees in the wind, the cool kiss of the mist as the waves embrace the shore, the song of the winged ones you love so deeply, the truth of all creatures to whom you show such tender love and care. You will live in our laughter, and crystallize in our tears.

My mind knows that you are going to another place, I understand that.  I wish that I could explain it to my heart.  I grieve, but I know my tears are for me. I can close my eyes and pray that you will stay; I can open my eyes and see the legacy that you leave.  My heart can be empty because you must go; it can be full with memories of the times we shared.

As you prepare for your journey, know that the goal was never to live forever, but to create something that will.  You have done that, my dear friend. And more. So much more. AHO

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
Native American spirituality includes a strong reverence for all things. Respect for all creatures, rocks, trees, water, earth, and respect for each other.  
Native American spirituality is a way of daily life.  Maj embraced and embodied that way of life.
Our grief embodies the four directions of self.  It affects us cognitively, emotionally, spiritually and physically. Give yourself the time you need to feel your connection to Maj, your personal loss.

"Wipe Away the Tears" is a ceremony that is used as a physical action for closure.
 When we have suffered the loss of a loved one, our eyes may become so clouded over by tears that we can no longer see the beauty of what is around us.
The soreness of our grief with Maj’s passing may block our vision.
In symbolism we have taken a collection of our tears. The tissues we used were soft and comforting.  They wiped the tears of grief from our eyes, so that we might see clearly once again.
Bind those tissues in cloth, and when it is right, safe, and appropriate for you; burn them as an offering to the Creator for Maj, her journey, and our healing.
We are releasing Maj to continue on with her spirit walk, a walk that is known only to her and her Creator.  Our need to hang on can be distracting to them and to us.
There is nothing so hard as letting go of a piece of you.
Nothing can describe the pain and hurt.
No one can make it any easier or less real.
Knowing that Maj will never be gone from us and never be forgotten, we must go on.
 We together must carry on with the teachings that she so willingly gave us.  We must stand together to save our earth, and all of her beings.

May the stars carry your sadness away,
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
May hope forever wipe away your tears, and, above all,
May silence make you strong.