Author Topic: Tributes to Maj  (Read 10614 times)

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
Tributes to Maj
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »
This email was sent out to MARS supporters today.  

Sad News from MARS

Dear Friends and Supporters of MARS,

I am saddened to tell you that our founder, Mary Jane (Maj) Birch is seriously ill. Maj was diagnosed
with pancreatic cancer just over six weeks ago and the disease has quickly progressed since that
time.

As many of you know, MARS just celebrated its 20th anniversary. When Maj and Keith started MARS
in 1995, they had a dream of helping injured, oiled and sick wildlife. Maj has worked hard and
overcome many challenges to build a strong organization of dedicated people who will continue her
work and keep her dream alive.

Our rehabilitation and education work continues to be guided by Majís values and teachings. In this
and many other ways, Maj will always be with us.

Although Maj is not up to receiving visitors, she enjoys receiving cards or short notes.
Please keep Maj in your thoughts or prayers.

Sincerely,

Pearl McKenzie
Vice President
MARS Board of Directors

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:27:26 PM by madrona »

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Tributes to Maj
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »
 :eccry

There are no words...

Offline ivani

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
OMG !!! I have no words .... I was very saddened by this news !! I admire very Maj for his work and dedication and the friendliness with which she always treated everyone in the chat Hornby. How God protects it and it does not suffer. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.
iff, ivani

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
This was just posted on the Maj Birch's personal face book page.

Maj asked me yesterday afternoon to get in touch with her "Facebook people". She had pancreatic cancer and was in the process of dying. I am so sorry to let you know that she passed away last evening surrounded by people who loved her to bits. To the end she was thinking of others.
The last time I was on this page was October 6, her birthday, which she celebrated with Tim and I at our home. It was the day she told us she was terminally ill. We were the first to know. After dinner I asked if we should look at FB and see if she any messages. There were over 70!! And I read every one to her. She was absolutely delighted and had to tell us who everyone was. It took a long time! I will treasure that memory along with so many others.
I feel blessed to have taken this last walk with my dear friend.
She was totally at peace with dying.

Jane McCarroll

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
Rest in Peace dear Maj. You were a comfort and consolation to so many  creatures, easing their end in many cases. I am thankful that you were comforted by loved ones, and that your final illness was blessedly brief. The world is a better place because you passed through.  I am a better person because of you.  Love, Joan/jeav

Offline Sandor3

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
I came across this quote..."Your smile is your logo, your personality is your business card, how you leave others feeling after an experience with you is your trademark.  ~ Jay Danzie" and feel it is a fitting description of Maj.  My condolences to her personal family and MARS family, and the Hornby chatters.  The last time we saw Maj (with Sawyer) was at the First Annual Merville Fall Fair in early October.  I didn't speak with her as she was surrounded by curious children and people, but I have a great photo of her wearing that wonderful smile and holding Sawyer.  Rest in peace, Maj.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
Such a loss for so many, people and critters alike.   :eccry

Maj left an amazing legacy of how to life a life with purpose and compassion.  The world is a better place for having her in it.

My condolences to those close to Maj. I hope they all know how much she meant to so many.
 :heart :chick
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:53 AM »
We celebrate Maj and her life. May all be comforted.

:hearts
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline peppy7

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
I will never forget Maj, she was so dedicated to helping wildlife, a wonderful person. Condolences to her family and to MARS and all of her friends.
Peppy

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
Maj has gone on her final journey... but she is not gone from our hearts and her work lives on.  What an amazing woman.. she will be missed but never forgotten.  I hope her family, friends, MARS, and all that were touched by this wonderful lady find comfort in knowing this and in the legacy she leaves behind.

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
Wonderful write up in the local paper

http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/352299871.html

Here is anothet tribute to Maj from Coastland Veterinary Hospital -scroll down just a bit on the left side

http://coastlandvet.com/?page_id=312

Offline Gasp62

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »
Thanks for the above link, Paint.  What a void is left with Maj gone for MARS and in all who's lives she touched directly and indirectly
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:49:09 PM by typoscount2 »

Offline typoscount2

• HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »

The passing of  our friend Maj who worked to make life safer and healthier for  creatures with no say in what is done to their homes or their beings, has left a great sadness to any who have been touched by her and her efforts. That we have lost a wonderful advocate  is a great loss but we who have learned by her efforts and have seen what can be done, will try and do what we can to follow her ideals and make a small difference in our own way

I have been typoscount2  & nsbirder then Non4now, but no more,
onward to       ImpInNS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornby-Eagle-Group-Projects-Society/292341380792123

Offline PamNY

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Maj was a remarkable woman who touched many lives -- both animal and human.  She truly made the world a better place.   I am grateful that I had a chance to learn about her and her work.  My condolences to her friends, co-workers and family. 

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »
A candle site has been created for Maj at http://thecenterforhealingarts.com/light-a-candle/candles.php.  In order to leave a message, you must light a candle and then add it to the group MAJ.  You can then click on the button for Groups, click on MAJ in the list and you can see all the candles that have been lit for her with the messages.  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:42:54 PM by NancyM »