Author Topic: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - ?? 2015  (Read 91595 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - ?? 2015
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »
Thank you Luvthebirds, for beautifully telling this tragic, true story about what many of us saw happen...first in delight to see the tiny new cub for the first time, and then suddenly with no warning, in horror.  Karula put herself in danger to try to stop them, but one mother leopard is no match against two hyenas.

Karula has never lost a cub before now, although Mixo did lose the white tip of his tail to a hyena while we watched a number of years ago.  

It's still hard to think about the newest cub...but it was shared with many kind online friends, which helped many of us to try to sort out what just had happened.  It was comforting to be in a chat room with other wild animal lovers who also were stunned and who wanted to talk about their feelings with one another.  

(((Hugs))) to all who love animals...  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:28:08 PM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
Re: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - Jan. 31, 2015
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »
Yes, BBE, I was on the drive.  Thank you for your words, Tiger and BBE. 

The sadness continues, Karula has returned to where her cub was taken and has been calling and searching.  :eccry   This is happening now on the drive and my heart is truly breaking.  I feel for her so deeply right now.  I know things like this happen, but watching Karula in her heartache is an awful lot to take.    :ecsad
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline linused

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
Thank you Luvthebirds, for being able to put to words all the feelings about that first sight of Karula's little one then the horrible quick moment he was gone.  So sad for Karula, her grief is clear :eccry

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2014, 11:29:27 PM »
Hello Linused,

Were you watching the first drive for 2015 (CAT)? I was at the Residence's NY Eve do until about 9:45  p.m. and then on the drive with Scott until the end.

Dear sweet Karula was up in the tree looking all about, sawing and calling for her cub. Then she ventured down, walked around the area one last time (quite close to Scott at one point) and headed back to a tree (I think the original event one). She looked as if she might go up it but settled down under it and was grooming as we left her at the end of the drive.

To me she does look tired and sad. I wonder if there is another cub tucked away safely or if she only had one cub in this litter. Time will tell.

Misty-eyed soul that I am, I also feel extremely privileged to have seen the past hour of the drive and watch her.

Off to Flickr to upload and post some photos.

Ann  :eccry
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2014, 11:56:41 PM »
As promised, photos from Jan. 1 2015 (CAT) morning drive.   Part 1.

Karula in the tree where she was looking around, calling and sawing to her cub, x 2.

Coming down from the tree.

Walking past Scott.

Still walking about.

I see I need to re-set colour on my computer. Pics a little pale- sorry
Edited later to add: I found out why my recent post looked 'washed out'. Not my camera or computer settings.
Someone else had the same problem. Apparently Karula was backlit and
Wium (on camera) had to adjust the camera and it screwed up the color.

More photos > > > >
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2015, 12:01:13 AM »
Photos from Jan. 1 2015 (CAT) morning drive.   Part 2.

Karula deciding whether to go back up the tree or not = not.

And we leave her under the tree grooming and still looking for her 'lost' cub.
[/url

Goodnight  :heart

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2015, 12:48:28 AM »
Good news now.  Karula spent a lot of time in an old Marula tree and our safari guide stayed there so we could watch her most of the drive time.   She frequently did the vocalization known as 'sawing' because that's what it sounds like.  I've never heard her make those sounds before...

I took many screen caps and will post a few here soon.   :nod2

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2015, 02:44:10 AM »
Hi Tigerlady,

Thank you for your kind words. I hadn't seen your post on the Karula topic before I posted my photos on the drive topic.

It has been a real treat to see Karula on these drives.  I haven't missed seeing her as much as others, as I do read about and see photos of her when she has been spotted.  I belong to a group on Facebook 'Karula & Family Photos'. The Rangers / guides from Nkorho, Arathusa, and Cheetah Plains have become our friends and post in the group about their sightings.

I use the WildEarth link for watching the drives at:
http://www.wildearth.tv/cam/wildearth-safaris

Re chats, I haven't changed too much  :ecwink   I still don't 'do' any chats.

Be well and as usual we are both up too late (or should that be early?) instead of  :offtobed

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
Jan. 1, 2015 (CAT) - Afternoon drive.

Karula was still around and up in the Marula tree.

She was seen by Craig Hamilton from Cheetah Plains.

As any Mother would do she is still looking for her child.  :ecsad

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 04:41:18 PM »
Karula has been seen once or twice by a ranger or two, but not close up. And no cub was seen.

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
BBE - It was pretty awful.  Fortunately there was a lot of underbrush shielding the viewers from the attack.
http://www.wildearth.tv/videomark/karulas-cub-found-and-lost
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:10:49 PM by BBE »
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
omg how sad.. truely that all must eat but still sad

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
Holding thumbs to hear from Marc or Scott shortly as Jan. 14th A.M. drive starts re Shadow and her cub.

On the PM drive for Jan. 13 CAT.

Shadow had made a kill. Hyenas appeared, cub and kill taken up to tree and Shadow on the ground 'shooing ' away hyenas. When last seen that was still the situation.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHsWEaY1ko" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHsWEaY1ko</a>

Off to check the afternoon drive for update.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »
Update from PM drive re Shadow and her cub. Sounds like Shadow and cub made it safely away in the night. 'Holding thumbs' this did happen.

From FB Group 'Karula and Family' - Pamela Miller posted
They (Scott and Jason) are on the edge of their signal area so feed will be in and out for a bit. Hang in there. Also the cub and shadow are gone and they hyenas are still there which could be a very good sign they got away safely. We can only hope.

And SuzHar has posted a video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXXFMoypY4Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXXFMoypY4Q</a>

:pray

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
Karula was seen on Jan. 12, And apparently had mated with Mvula a couple of days before that.

Photo taken by Dawie Jacobs (a Ranger with Elephant Plains).  Photo posted on FB by Debra W. Baudoin.

:eclove