Author Topic: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - ?? 2015  (Read 86860 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - Jan. 31, 2015
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »
Does anyone here subscribe to National Geographic Wild ??  Narrated by a Pieter Pretorius who was born and raised in Namibia. 'Our' Pieter fits that description. Would be great.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Nat-Geo-WILD-to-Premiere-New-Series-SAFARI-LIVE-1129-20141027#

A few minutes later:
Yes it is 'our' Pieter. I think Nat. Geo beat Graham Wallington in letting 'the cat out of the bag' re the new drives. Read to the end of the article above to see info:

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:46:08 PM »
Information for the Nov. 2, 2014 - Jan.31, 2015 Live Safari Drives.

This is an amalgamation of info from from Graham and others Oct. 27 - Nov. 2 inclusive.

• Where:Traversing both Djuma and Arathusa game reserves.
  • Vehicles x 2. Major updated 'Jigga' and new vehicle 'Wendy'.
  • Presenters:
    • Nov. 2 - Dec. 7, 2014 presenters will be Pieter Pretorius and Hayden Turner. Brian and Liam will be on the cams.
    • Dec. 8 - Jan.31, 2015 will be Marc Weiner and Scott Dyson.
  • Drives: twice a day (each drive 3 hours) with both vehicles. Director Will Fox will cut between both vehicles.
  • Time of drives for North America:
    • PM (afternoon/evening/ sunset) at 16h00 CAT [Central African Time]  The drive will begin around 09h00 EST [Eastern Standard Time]  Expect the drive at 06h00 Pacific Standard Time (PST).
    • AM (morning) or as WE is now going to call it "the sunrise drive/safari" at 06h00  CAT. This will begin around 23h:00 EST. Expect the drive at 20h:00  PST.
  • Internet viewing on:
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
FANTASTIC!!!!

Pieter and Marc! and Djuma and Arathusa (where we stayed in April) - this couldn't be better!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:27:50 AM by BBE »
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:28:03 AM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
I have edited my post three above this one with all the information re times, viewing links. I will be tuning in Sat. evening - - - just in case.   :ecwink  :pray

Map showing the assorted reserves in Sabi Sands.  The upper right hand corner shows the areas we usually see photos from on Facebook.

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »
Thanks for the map BBE - when we went to Arathusa our plane landed at a grass strip at Elephant Plains - now I understand the relationship of the properties much better!
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 07:03:11 AM »
First drive for WE and we are live with Pieter. He looks great.  Rumour that Pieter and Leischen had a son a few weeks ago is true.  On his FB page he apparently on his FB page said he now 'has a lion - Ragnar-Ngala'.  Ngala is Shangaan for 'lion' and Ragnar is Swedish and means 'strong counsellor' or 'strong army'.

We did see Hayden (driving the other vehicle) on Arathusa. Like Pieter, Hayden has extensive experience.

Two teams per drive, one :
  • On Djuma with Pieter presenting and Brian on camera.
  • On Arathusa with Hayden presenting and Liam on camera.

Here's Pieter

Twin DamsIf my mind is in gear  :question Checked old photos and it is Treehouse Dam

Impala

Pieter and Hayden (the other presenter on Arathusa today)

Sunset through the trees

A quick view of a hyena. And then more at the den. Seb would have been in 'Hyena heaven'.
I missed getting a photo of them and an ellie or two.

After drive update from Graham Wallington at
http://blog.wildearth.tv/2014/11/safarilive-begins.html

Information about Hayden Turner from http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Nat-Geo-WILD-to-Premiere-New-Series-SAFARI-LIVE-1129-20141027#

Hayden is a wildlife expert who reports from some of the wildest and most scenic places on earth. He has worked and traveled throughout the world, filming across the African continent and in more than 35 other countries. Hayden is known for his private safaris, exclusive escapes and expeditions throughout Africa, Asia, Australia and the Middle East. Hayden's philosophy is that the most effective approach to conservation is through education, technology and inspiring people to care for the planet, coupled with understanding people's different perceptions of wildlife.

Great to back on Sabi Sands  :biggrin3  Some glitches which will be worked out - some stop and start of feed, and presenters were hard to hear at times.

Ann  :thumbup:  :eclove    :ecwink

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
After all the latest information etc. from Graham Wallington and others I have amalgamated several posts into the one; including drive times, at http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1545.msg157335#msg157335

The info re leopards is in the works.

TTFN need a nap after being up so early  :eclol

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
A long time viewer of the drives posted a recording of almost 2 hours of today's sunset drive.
Many thanks 'Snow Leopard'.  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP5duT0SoD8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP5duT0SoD8</a>

Having to scratch my head to recall some 'How to's' here.  :eclol

My time watching the morning drive will be limited ot  npon existent.

Cheers  Ann

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
I wanted to watch the drive just now (7:30 pm PST) and it kept buffering.  I did register with WildEarth.  Any suggestions are welcome.    :puzzled2

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »
Hi Tigerlady, nice to see you here.

I have only just checked in on both links and both have some buffering etc.  I am using the National Geographic WILD link at  http://www.wildsafarilive.com/ some buffering on it and the WildEarth one too.

When you use the Nat. Geo. link click on 'Live Drive'.

Hope this helps?  :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
Nov. 3 Morning drive had started by the time I arrived on the scene. Some buffering of stream, but volume of presenters voice is improved..

Pieter and Hayden both driving on Djuma. Hayden needs a hat; he is already balding on the back of his head.

Big excitement when a leopard was spotted. It was 'Quarantine Male' (so called as he was born in Quarantine area of Djuma). Also referred to ass 'Q-Male'. He is one of Karula's two boys from her 4th litter. Born late November - early December 2012.  He is starting to figure out where he should make his turf. He has a Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/Quarantine.Male.Leopard/info

His littermate is known as 'Kunyuma' (who is not seen very often).

When I first saw Q-Male stalking through the brush and cam was stuttering.

'Birdie Raptor' from a long standing small group I belong to posted this photo - with mega thanks  :ecsmile

Then, yea. we had a small breeding herd of ellies having a mud bath. One in particular.   :heart

Is the one on the ground alright?

Getting up

He's upright :v

All up and moving about.

More > > > >

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 11:26:23 PM »
Rest of Nov. 3 morning drive

Then we had some dreaded black screen (at least I did) and just a few minutes ago when I finally came back, Q-Male was resting.

And at the end of the great drive- another yawn.

Great drive thanks to Hayden.  :thumbup:

Monday, I may / may not be the PM/Afternoon/Sunset drive.

Now, with Q-Male asleep, I am   :offtobed

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 05:26:15 AM »
 :thumbup: Thank you for your  posts BBE so glad they were able to get the drives back  :eclove

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
Thanks for the great photos and link, BBE.   :eclove