Author Topic: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - ?? 2015  (Read 89407 times)

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
Re: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - ?? 2015
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
 :heart lovely
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:34:09 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2015, 11:21:04 AM »
Hi Cali, Lovely to 'see' you here.

Just thinking out loud (so to speak). If Karula did mate with Mvula that likely answers the question re whether she had one or two cubs. ? I'll do some checking.

Best wishes to you and 'J'.

Ann

Later Wed. eve. My memory was in order when I was thinking that if indeed  Karula did mate with Mvula then she may have had only one cub who was taken by the hyenas. Or if two cubs, then something also happened to the other one.  

Female leopards wait to mate (after giving birth) until her offspring are 18 - 24 months old. At that time she will  'shoo' them away to be become independent. Then seek out some males for mating.

:offtobed
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Jan. 15, 2015 PM Drive

With Marc and Jason.  I was not on the drive, so the following is from viewers.

I don't know how long the drive had been on when major untoward event occurred. Marc an Jason came across a small breeding herd of ellie. An elderly female, two or three young ones and a couple of older ones.  The matriarch started toward the stationary vehicle in what appeared to be a mock charge. She did back off  and the ellies move away as did Marc. A few minutes later he went back and this time it was definitely not a mock charge.

The matriarch's tusks did damage to the vehicle. Marc and Jason were really shaken, but physically unharmed; although Marc appeared to have a minor scrape on his right hand.  His concern was what Graham would say.

Prior to seeing the ellies time had been spent viewing the Birmingham  Males. I read that the lions had been roaring - which may have been what set the matriarch in a protection mode.  

First clip is a videomark and takes a few seconds to start.

http://www.wildearth.tv/videomark/close-encounter-ellie-kind-part-1

And - -
Nine minute video by SuzHar showing both encounters and Marc talking about the event.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLgLotYjRdI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLgLotYjRdI</a>
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »
Jan. 16, 2015 (CAT) Morning drive with Marc and Scott

Marc appears to be in good shape. He chatted about the encounter he and Jason had with the female elephant on the Jan. 15 afternoon drive.  I had some trouble hearing him; but I think what he was saying was that they had approached the breeding herd carefully and were not too close.  He felt that the female was in a protective mode as there had been lions nearby earlier. Also that she might not have been too familiar with vehicles.

If Marc said anything about the vehicle damage and repairs I didn't hear that.

I watched the drive for about 90 minutes.

A beautiful misty morning as the drive started.

A lovely 'dazzle' of Zebras:

Cut back to Scott who was with a resting 'Mvula'. He couldn't stay as there were three other vehicles. Mvula decided to lie down and snooze; so Scott left:

Then back to Marc and a 'Bateleur'. I've not seen one for a long time.  Also some resting male impalas

SuzHar' (Suzanne Hettenvan-Wolf) shared some super news on the FB group Karula and Family.  
Jan 16 2015 UPDATE: Scott shared with us that a ranger saw Shadow's tracks and her cub's. Good news!
 :eclove

Bronchitis has me semi confined to home basis. I have just about finished putting together the updates on Thandi and Shadow and their offspring.  Stay tuned.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »
TY BBE, for the updates and video with Marc.  I was watching the WE safari live when it happened and it was scary!  The matriarch ellie's head filled the whole cam screen as she reached the vehicle.  So glad Marc and Jason are ok and that she didn't turn over the vehicle.  She easily could have done it.   :eceek

Angry Charging Ellie Matriarch Charging the Jigga - Jan. 15, 2015

2015 WildEarth Safaris Live

(Just before she gored the Jigga with her tusks.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:33:33 PM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2015, 12:40:38 AM »
Angry Ellie Matriarch Ready to Do Battle With the Jigga - Jan. 15, 2015

2015 WildEarth Safaris Live

(Just before she hit the Jigga and made two holes in it with her tusks!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:35:36 PM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
Jan. 18, 2015 AM Drive

Her loveliness 'Shadow' out for a stroll.  I hope her cub is tucked safely away out of sight from predators.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWhzxB-7fhI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWhzxB-7fhI</a>

Shadow on a log
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHKlSS-o42s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHKlSS-o42s</a>

:heart

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2015, 07:38:22 AM »
Great news today from WildEarth.... Drives will continue! There will be no drives on the first, but then will continue in Feb. for at least two weeks. They are saying they plan for at least three months and possibly longer.....  Thumbs crossed for no problems making this happen.
Link to WE fb announcement: https://www.facebook.com/WildEarth.TV/posts/10152635389363803
 :hooray
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:36:21 PM by BBE »
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »
Hello luv,

Thanks for your post re drives continuing. I only just heard the news.

In case some here don't have an FB account; this is what was posted.

We know you have all been eagerly awaiting news on whether or not drives will continue beyond the end of January. We have been just as eager to share information about this with you, but could not as things were not certain yet. While they still are not 100%, we feel we can no longer delay sharing that we are very, very close to being able to continue the drives for at least another three months, and possibly longer!

We will at least continue for another two weeks in February while we work on ironing out the final details of this longer extension. And we promise to share more with you as soon as we can.

Some of the crew will still be leaving at the end of January because they have other jobs or activities to go to. Scott, Jason and Wium will therefore still be leaving us. Marc, Bryan and Alex will stay on and some new faces will arrive soon too.

Many of you have requested the creation of a tip jar and we are happy to oblige. As before this would work through PayPal and donations can be made to the e-mail address crewtips@wildearth.tv. 50% of the received amounts will be split between Scott and Marc with the other 50% going to Jason, Wium, Bryan and Alex. (Note that the response might state you have sent money to Petrus Henricus Maria Braat. This is because we are using Peter's PayPal account to receive and disburse the funds.)

Due to changes in crew and us having to move to a new camp there will be no drives on Sunday, February 1st, but we will be back on Monday morning with Marc, Bryan and Peter.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:43 AM »
Mea culpa,
I have the words and photos ready to finally update the bios on Thandi and Shadow (Saseka and Tingana). However I have been off colour and stride for past month with bronchitis.
It will be done.

:msick

P.S. Karula last seen Jan. 12 on Elephant Plains and had been mating with Mvula.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »
And the drives continue as of Feb. 2 AM drive (CAT). No definitive word about how long for? End of February and maybe longer.  So I have made the title of this topic open ended for stop date.

I was on the drive long enough to see Kunyuma. I wonder if he was expecting to see Scott?

Both videos posted by Suzanne Hettenvan-Wolf (SuzHar)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTb1BXSYQLs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTb1BXSYQLs</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msfg18_228k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msfg18_228k</a>

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2015, 01:10:05 AM »
Well, it took some time looking through posts, and my photos, but the updated bios / pics for Thandi (Saseka) and Shadow(Tingana) are completed.
http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1558.msg157740#msg157740

Next up (which shouldn't take as long is post for 'other leopards'. These will be 'Mvula' (father to a few of the younger leopards) and 'Bahuti' (Thandi's now 2.5 - 3 year old son off on his own.

:heart :offtobed

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Super News for Drives - Tara Back x 2 Weeks
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »
Ladies, I am delighted to announce that Tara Pirie will be presenting for the next 2 weeks starting Tuesday morning drive (our time).  Can't wait to see her again.

Marc already had plans for that time period when it was announced the continuation of the drives. He is in need of R &R and a visit with his parents. I am sure that the drives and long hours must take a toll on him health wise.

Welcome back to Tara !

My photo from Nov. 25, 2011 - last drive

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
Morning of Feb. 2, 2015
Male leopard 'Kunyuma' lying about.

:eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:15 PM »
Feb. 3, 2015 AM Drive from DPGR - Part 1.  And Tara is back for two weeks. She looks and sounds great. So happy to be back at Djuma and on drives. Same great smile, laughing and chatting a lot. Many memories brought up.

Drives will now be only on DPGR property

Bryan was on camera. Some rain. At the half way point Marc took over. Then he leaves tomorrow.

Here's Tara - - -

A large herd of Impalas, and one looking at something??

A wildebeest with one horn misplaced - down near the ground! Not too sure what happened. ? born like that or an accident.

Went to Gowrie Dam and Tara was stunned by the changes affected to the rode etc. as a result of the January 2012 major flooding in the Sabi Sands.  The drives had finished November 25, 2011.  The 'bridge of soil and road at the far end of the dam was washed away. It took about two months to rebuild the area.

Some showers became a little heavier and they went under cover at the 'tree camp'. You can see impalas on a mound in the background to the left. Tara chatted about her background, her time with WE Drives and her work now with Will Fox and the Ingwe Leopard Project   HERE.

And answered some questions.

Links to two blogs from DPGR Jan. 18 and 24, 2012 re floods.
Jan. 18, 2012
Here.

Jan. 24, 2012
Here.

April 2, 2014 Dam wall repaired.
Here.

A few more pics to come. > > > >