Author Topic: Lindsay Wildlife Museum (California)  (Read 101432 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Lindsay Wildlife Museum
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
Tomorrow morning I pick up a Cedar Waxwing from Lindsay Museum hospital and drive him up to Medford for release.  He came to the hospital with a broken wing.  It took him a while to pass his flying test, and he has been flying for at least two weeks.  We can't release him where we found him because all of his family and friends have flown North.  

Checking with Wildlife Images Rehab in Grants Pass, I learned that there are several places in Southern Oregon where these waxwings are currently nesting.  

A special traveling carrier has been prepared.  It has a little window, so the bird won't be in the dark for the trip, although his carrier will be covered with a pillowcase.  And a special natural sisal perch inside.  The weather forecast for Medford on Wednesday is 91 F.  I'll be releasing him around 5 PM, which will give him time to find food, water, and a place to sleep before dusk.  The release site is Touvelle State Park.  

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_106.php
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
Jean, you say his family have flown North. Can we dream that he'll find his very own family in Medford?  :nod2

Thank you for taking this several hours long drive for this special little waxwing.  :biggrin3
beth
from California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
Perhaps he will find Lithia Park in Asland and live there. Wonderful place! Thank you Beans. You certainly amaze me! :hug
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:32 PM »
At 4:35 PM today the CEDW was released at beautiful TouVelle State Park, just outside of Medford, Oregon.  It was a gentle release, but I think he was just as relieved to get out of his carrier as I was to get out of the car after 6.5 hours of driving.

When we drove into the Park, I thought I heard a CEDW high up, to my left (thank you, iBird).  I found a nice shady spot, under a large tree and carefully opened the carrier.  He flew up, and away, to my left, to a different tree.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get a picture of him!

He landed in this tree

This is the river that runs through the Park

Beautiful, old trees

Many trees for perching and nesting

Tomorrow:  a picture of his carrier with its own "picture window"!
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »
Wonderful Beans! Thank you for all you do. I am in awe! :hug
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:04 PM »
Nice berries somewhere near for the little one?  Thank you sooo much for the love and kindness you continuously give. :eclove
beth
from California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
Such selfless dedication beans, 6.5 hours. Very kind & giving of you, we know Waxwing is grateful.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
I'm on my iPhone and haven't been able to post the photo of the carrier. May try again later.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »
Here's the carrier for our CEDW.  I took the picture after I released him.  Note the little "picture window" that lets in light.  Just needed to be covered with a white pillowcase.  

There's a natural sisal perch (you can see the knot on the outside of the carrier).  Attached a half orange to the perch.  Also, food in his plate.  He didn't eat very much, if anything.
Jean, California

Offline gzebear

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2012, 03:09:04 AM »
Jean, what a lovely park for the waxwing release! And I like the 'picture window' in the carrier - so thoughtful. Thank you for making that long drive so that he would be able to find others of his kind, which I trust that he has by now. Last winter, our rehab center had an ash-throated flycatcher who missed migration because of his injury. When he was well and flying again, rather than keep him all winter, we put him on a plane to Texas where he was received and successfully released by another rehabber there. The things we do to give these sweet birds another chance! Thank you!

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2012, 09:01:27 AM »
Gzebear, I can tell that we are kindred spirits :)
Jean, California

Offline gzebear

« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2012, 01:31:33 PM »
 :nod2

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
The hospital received 173 animals last week, bringing the total to 3424 for this year.

Many of our backyard songbirds have already nested and raised young, but it's still early in the summer season. Many birds will renest, sometimes more than once. Because we'll have fledgling birds just out of the nest and on the ground for much of the summer, it's still important to keep cats indoors.
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »
173 in one week!  :eceek. That is a huge amount !
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:47 PM »
Very busy at the hospital!  We have three new Raven fledglings, and I was asked to clean up and hand feed them on my shift.  One of the three doesn't need hand feeding now.  The second one is self-feeding but likes a little hand-feeding.  The third loves to be hand fed, but he's also interested in the big dish of food, so soon he won't need help.  All three are glossy black and beautiful, with their pink mouths.  The inside of their beaks will turn black as they grow up.  We will probably transfer them to another rehab center which has a very large aviary with other Ravens.  But for now --  I'll enjoy them.
Jean, California