Author Topic: Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation (O.W.L.)  (Read 12261 times)

Offline fol-di-rol

Re: Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation (O.W.L.)
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
This item was on tonight's Global News, about an eagle rescued after being hit by a car on  Hwy.91 in Delta.  It was captured and taken to OWL.  The video doesn't play for me, but someone may be able to open it here.  http://globalnews.ca/news/1052202/bald-eagle-rescued-along-highway-in-delta-after-being-hit-by-a-car/

Offline gzebear

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »

Re: this post on O.W.L.'s Facebook page:

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of two very special birds who were part of the O.W.L family. Farewell to Myrtle, a Merlin, who was with us since 2006. And Avalanche, a Snowy Owl who was new to O.W.L. Fly free beautiful birds. We will miss you dearly."

And that's it. Does anyone know what happened to these birds?

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
sad news, gze.  I have not seen more info.

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »
O.W.L. Open House - Saturday April 26 & Sunday April 27, 2014

The Open House events are the only times the public is admitted to some of the behind-the-scenes areas of OWL, such as the Pool Cage and other special exhibits. 

http://www.owlcanada.org/spring-open-house/

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
OWL Open House, April 26 & 27, 2014

My sister and I spent a delightful morning at the OWL Open House today.  The weather was perfect for the event, sunny with a bit of a cool breeze blowing over the surrounding fields.  It was very well-attended, and the parking lots were full to overflowing.

Global TV Morning News aired an interview this morning with OWL personnel giving details of the Open House, and showing a couple of their education birds (bald eagle Sonsie , and  barn owl Alba).  At the moment I have been unable to locate the link to the news item, but will add it later if I can find it.  Sonsie was also very vocal when we walked past his cage – letting us know that he is a real TV star!

Later:  the link was available Sunday morning:  http://globalnews.ca/video/1293257/orphaned-wildlife-rehabilitation-society

For the first time, Mindy (a.k.a. EO) was in charge of the event, so we were not able to spend very much time with her, but I did pass on greetings from the Hornby folks, and she said to say “hi” to all of us too.  

Raptor Ranch again had a display, and they were showing a couple of Harris Hawks and a Saker/Gyrfalcon cross (gorgeous bird).  

Sasa, the eagle whose wing was impaled on a tree (August 2013), is doing very well, but still not able to fly satisfactorily, so will be in care for a while yet – possibly more surgery needed.

It was such a delight to meet Norm Snihur in person – what a hero he is!  Norm is the volunteer helicopter pilot who not only flies rescued birds and other animals to various rehabilitation centres, but also volunteers his time at OWL working on grounds and landscaping.  It was amazing to see how small his helicopter is – barely room for the pilot and an injured animal in the back.  

Congratulations to Bev and Ralph, who were recently married!  

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
Hello Foldi,

Thanks for the report. What a lovely day you and your sister had to attend the Open House.  Yes, Norm is a great soul and must be in his late 70's if not early 80's?

Beautiful photos - thank you.

BBE  :eclove
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »
many thanks for the report, Foldi  - sounds like much good news from O.W.L. folks

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »
Thank You Foldi,  so glad you and your sister were able to attend and to post this info. 
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
Very nice to know that a good size crowd of wildlife supporters was there, Foldi!  Thank you for the photos and your comments.   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline linused

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 02:41:59 AM »
Great to hear about your morning at OWL. Lovely birds and it's obviously a place you care a great deal about.  Thanks for sharing your story about the place and people.

Offline crazy lady 38

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »
Hi Foldi, so glad you and your sister had such an enjoyable day at OWL's open house, and thank you for your report and photos. Sounds like a fun day!

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »
This is another wonderful rescue & rehab story about the cammed Osprey nest in Nelson B.C. 

http://www.nelsonstar.com/news/274955721.html