Author Topic: 2013 WE's Thornybush Safari Drives (Jan. 10 - July 28, 2013)  (Read 54948 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: 2013 WE's Thornybush Safari Drives
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I have been reading on the 'Thornybush Traversers' (TT's) FB timeline. I have figured out that
  • Bryan (tall, pony tail and a sense of humour) has also left at some point.
  • Aaron is the sole member of the original group, which I posted here:
http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1324.msg132367#msg132367
  • There are two other chaps; David and Lazlo whom I've not read about.
  • Like me after my reading, some members of the TT's are asking if the drives will continue or will Graham just film for the TV series documentary?

:offtobed
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: LAST Thornybush Drive
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
The filming for the documentary is complete. As such the side benefit of the live drives will conclude after the afternoon drive this Sunday, July 28, 2013 at the following times:

Afternoon drive is from 15:00 - 17:30 p.m. (3 - 5:30 p.m. ) CAT; which is:
•Pacific - starts at 06:00 a.m.
•Mountain - starts at 07:00 a.m.
•Central - starts at 08:00 a.m.
•Eastern - starts at 09:00 a.m.

Ann
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline MaggiesMom

Re: 2013 WE's Thornybush Safari Drives (Jan. 10 - July 28, 2013)
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »
oh my!  thanks for the heads up! we've been moving and unpacking and sorting and it's been impossible to find time to watch the drives.  Shall have to make time for the next few!
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: LAST Thornybush Safari Drive July 28.
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
Hello MaggiesMom,

I certainly do not envy you packing, moving, unpacking and sorting  :nope  Especially in the summer. Best wishes for happiness in your new location and that you will be settled in soon. A long or short move from current location?

I have to be honest and say that for the past two months I haven't watched a TT drive as when I have decided to watch there (1) hasn't been one, or (2) something has glitched during the drive. And afternoon drives don't usually fit into my schedule, time wise. In fact, (for various reasons) my viewing of Pete's Pond and Djuma Waterhole has been negligible.  I do read various FB groups posts to keep up and have posted key events in the topics we have.

Don't try to unpack in one day, stay cool and good luck.

Ann

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: July 28 - Last Safari Drive at Thornybush Nature Reserve
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
Sunday afternoon (CAT) was the last drive at Thornybush.  I was not at home, but from what I have read they saw some nyala, kudu, Mildred the crocodile, the 'Chicken Dance'. I gather Marc said there wouldn't be lion or leopard sighting.  

Sunset.  

Posted by Kathy S.S

Posted by MJ B.

Marc saying thank you and goodbye.

As Marc was chatting about leaving, and saying farewells; he turned a bend and there in the middle of the road sat a leopard with its back to the vehicle.  He was blown away 'Holy macaroni - - -'. Serendipity.

Video of the 2.5 hour drive. Sound not always good.  By Suzanne Hettenvan-Wolf  
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlPAIp8nog0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlPAIp8nog0</a>

And 'Nebraskapat' posted Marc's message about nature to all who viewed.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBAJeYT66I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBAJeYT66I</a>

That is all from the Thornybush Nature Reserve drives.

That is the end of the Thornybush Nature Reserve drives. Hopefully Graham Wallington will post when and where the documentary will be shown.

To all who made this possible   :ty

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
BBE - I was able to watch a good portion of the last drive.  Marc's voice when he saw the leopard was just amazing.  And the chatters were just stumbling around on their keyboards!  I really do hope WE comes up with another way to bring back drives - if not regularly at least from time to time.  They are wonderful.  Thornybush was not as productive as Djuma but still interesting.  And South Africa is a big country.  There must be other places for them to go in the jigga.
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »
Hello MaggiesMom,

Yes, I could tell from the video of the drive that Marc was choked up about the end of the drives and flabbergasted when a leopard appeared at the end of the drive.

I think it would be really cool if Graham Wallington and team would liaise with the Lodges in the Sabi Sands area and ask if they would be prepared to video a few of their drives for us to see.   :question

Ann

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
July 30, 2013 - a farewell blog from WE team on Thornybush Drives,
HERE.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »
Drives stopped a week ago, so I have just locked the topic. 

If you have some drive photos to add to the topic, please send me a PM and I'll unlock the topic for you.  :nod2

Ann