Author Topic: 2013 WE's Thornybush Safari Drives (Jan. 10 - July 28, 2013)  (Read 54882 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
2013 WE's Thornybush Safari Drives (Jan. 10 - July 28, 2013)
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »
On February 24, 2013 Graham Wallington from WildEarth.TV posted this message on their Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/WildEarth.TV?fref=ts

The drives will take place in South Africa. The exact date of the drives, the site and personnel to be involved have yet to be announced.  

This topic is where we will be able to post photos, videos, and comments about the drives / events..

Seat belts, safari hats, bottle water, binoculars and cameras at the ready  :ecsmile

:thumbup:

NOTE: The drives actually started May 15 and the last one was July 28 afternoon, 2013 (CAT).
  • The posts made prior to May 15 when the drives started are related to the lead up of the drives, repairing the vehicle (the Jigga), who the crew would be and general information about the area.
  • Reports from the actual drives start HERE.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:40:11 PM by NancyM »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: 2013 WE's Thornybush Safari Drives
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »
March 27, 2013: Update from Graham W. re drives:

• The drives will start some time in April.
  • Filming will occur over a 4 month duration.
  • The location will be in Sabi Sands; not at Djuma, location to be announced soon.
  • There will be two drives a day (morning and afternoon CAT).
  • 2D view as before for internet coverage of the drives. The final TV production will be 3D.
  • North American viewers will be able to watch the drives.
  • NONE of previous people will be involved.
  • Jigga about ready.
  • Rob Bruyns will be the 'team leader'.
  • Bryan Joubert, will also be a cameraman.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

May 26, 2013: Pertinent information related to the drives:
I am unable to find a post of mine for Feb. 25 that I can use to place between the first part of this reply with the one from 'MaggiesMom'. Therefore I am using this post in which to amalgamate information related to the cam links, drive times, map etc. The original posts remain scattered throughtout this topic.

The WE drives went live on Thursday, May 16th at 06:30 Central African Time.

Map of where Thornybush Private Game Reserve is located: About dead center on the map.

Limpopo Game Reserves

Crew on the drive vehicle is our old friend the 'Jigga',(who has been upgraded, revamped, and painted) will be the Marc Weiner as the presenter along with either Rob or Bryan on camera. Aaron is in 'Final Control'.

Webcam links:

On the Wildearth link you may join in on the Chat, and also view the archives from the drives (in 10 minute segments.)

Drives and times: are twice a day as follows:
1. Morning drive from 06:30 - 09:30 CAT means:
  • Pacific - starts at 9:30 p.m. to 00:30 the next day.
  • Mountain - starts at 10:30 p.m. to 01:30 a.m. the next day.
  • Central - starts at 11:30 p.m. to 0:2:30 a.m. the next day.
  • Eastern - starts at 00:30 a.m. to 00:30 a.m.
Note:When WE refers to a morning drive starting on a specific day or date = the evening before for North America.

2. Afternoon drive from 15:00 - 17:30 p.m. (3 - 5:30 p.m. ) CAT means:
  • Pacific - starts at 06:00 a.m.
  • Mountain - starts at 07:00 a.m.
  • Central - starts at 08:00 a.m.
  • Eastern - starts at 09:00 a.m.

3. Email addresses to contact WE to:
  • Ask questions of the presenter: drivequestions@wildearth.tv
  • Give feedback on the drives:  drivefeedback@wildearth.tv

4. If you are a Facebook member these are links related to Thornybush and WE:

Enjoy and I look forward to seeing your posts from some of the drives.  :ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »
BBE - what do they mean by the "new" Djuma game reserve?  Has the entire set-up there changed?  I miss those drives - and the people who guided them - dreadfully!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:17:57 AM by BBE »
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »
I agree about the 3d BBE, I think it may have contributed to the "death" of the live drives due to many lost viewers.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:18:26 AM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
Hi Maggie's Mom, wonderful to 'see' you again.

After the January 2012 devastating floods in the area Djuma Private Game Reserve did some major alterations to their two sites.   They are once again heavily into tourists and providing them with drives etc.  The camera at the Gowrie Waterhole is still operational (with occasional interruptions due to power outages and the baboons sometime playing with the equipment.  

This is their updated web site. http://www.djuma.com/    Their new General manager, Candice, just had a baby girl.

What WE will be doing is not as before. They are heavily into special projects for TV etc.  WildEarth as posted would need an additional vehicle and also a crew to do the drives; and facilities to accommodate them.

This is from WildEarth.tv's mission and company overview from their FB timeline. Their mission and overview are basically unchanged since we first encountered them.

WE live to broadcast wildlife LIVE ... it is in our nature.

Mission
To broadcast the truth LIVE from wilderness areas of our planet in a way that it has never been done before ... it's in our nature.

Company Overview
WildEarth.TV (WE) strive to be the world leaders in the LIVE broadcasting of wildlife. Whether that broadcast is on TV or the web.

We'll see what happens.  Some folks are thinking that Marc, Seb and Tara should come back.  Marc is the only one without a long term permanent job.

I hope this answers your question re 'new' DPGR, and a bit more  :eclol

Bye for now.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
March 5 from Rob Bruyns - Update re WildEarth's project and the 'Jigga'

Rob's last project with WE was the 2012 Meerkats.

Hmmmmm....so how's this for a new development! In the very near future we will be launching a LIVE game drive safari from the most magnificent game area in South Africa! All you Djuma Safari fans are going to love this! Same format as Djuma, but different location and different crew. I will be heading up the project so from here on I'll give you updates on whats happening and when we launch!! EXCITING TIMES!!!

About Rob from his timeline:

Adventurer, wildlife presenter, cameraman and wildlife photographer

Biography
Whether it's adventure, photography, wildlife filming or just exploring the unexplored, Rob Bruyns is there with a passion and a thirst to bring his adventures to you!

March 12 from 'Jigga' own FB page:

Jigga - 19 hours ago.

In July of last year WE went down to Djuma to collect the Jigga and brought it up to Johannesburg to begin its renovation. She is now almost complete and soon we will be posting pics of the *new* Jigga all ready to go on LIVE safari at a new, and exciting, location. Once again the old girl will be broadcasting daily LIVE safaris on WildEarth.TV.

Here she is - our beloved 'Jigga'.

March 12 from Ruth Moss Rogge

When I posted that I wasn't getting excited about the jigga being fixed and the new safaris until I hear if I will have viewing access, I got this response on the Jigga Facebook Page!! :)

Jigga: Everyone is going to have free access to watch these LIVE safaris on WildEarth just like before. All of us at WE are working super hard on getting everything ready for this exciting broadcast. Won't be long before WE announces the location and start building the new tented camp for the crew ... and Jigga of course.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
 :biggrin3 great News BBE!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:19:27 AM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
Graham has posted about the Jigga needing another coat of paint  :ecsmile

Rob Bruyns * and Jigga

*For more info about Rob Bruyns see my post HERE.

Graham Wallington's FB link:
https://www.facebook.com/graham.wallington?fref=ts

Jigga's timeline on FB is:  https://www.facebook.com/WildEarth.Jigga?fref=ts

:ecsmile

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »
News from Graham Wallington.  WE Safari's will be from the Thornybush Camp, at the south end of the Thronybush Game Reserve. The crew is going there next week to start setting up. No start date yet. 2 drives a day.Yipee. If I got it right, on WE and on Ustream.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:47:28 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:29:40 AM »
Thanks Beth for the update  :eclol

The one morning I didn't check WildEarth.TV's FB page; Graham posted the announcement.  

Graham Wallington on

It's official!! WE are going to be broadcasting LIVE safaris from Thornybush Game Reserve. :)

Our crew will be living in the southern part of the reserve from next week as WE start installing the various systems. We don't yet have an official launch date of the LIVE streaming on the Internet, but will be providing plenty of updates as soon as we are on the reserve and getting ready.

In addition to two LIVE safaris, broadcast on the Internet (WildEarth.tv and Ustream.tv), per day we will be producing 4 x 30 minute episodes about the 4 months that WE spend at Thornybush which will not only show the various animal characters and their stories, but also have quite a lot of behind-the-scenes action of the crew. You will be able to watch these episodes after the LIVE broadcasts (in about 5 or 6 months time) in both 3D and 2D.

When we arrive at Thornybush next week (not sure which day yet) WE will introduce you to all the crew. Mostly everyone is brand new, but Rob Bruyns and Bryan Joubert you will recognize from the Tswalu (Gosa meerkat gang) crew.

This is going to be super fun and WE are very proud to be bringing back such a popular broadcast.

:thumbup:   :biggrin3

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
 :biggrin3  :hooray

Thanks for the update!  BBE, emc is speedy! :zooooom
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:16:26 AM by BBE »
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »
Where is Thornybush Game Reserve?
In Kruger National Park, to the northeast of Sabi Sands Game Reserve.   There are many areas and lodges.

http://thornybush.krugerpark.co.za/

From Wikipedia re Thornybush Game Reserve

Thornybush Game Reserve, is a private game reserve, near Hoedspruit, in the Limpopo province of South Africa. It borders the Kapama Game Reserve and is located close to the Timbavati Game Reserve and the Kruger Park. The Reserve's surface area is approximately 11.000 hectares of mainly open savannah.

Thornybush Game Reserve features 147 mammals including the "Big Five" (see: Big Five game), 114 reptiles, 507 birds, 49 fish, 34 amphibians and 336 trees species.

As with many private reserves in South Africa, Thornybush is managed as an eco-tourism destination, thus the Reserve is funded by means of a number of up-market private commercial game lodges located within the Reserve.

Location of Thornybush Game Reserve (TBGR)in relation to Sabi Sands Game Reserve with which we are familiar.
  • TBGR is northwest of Sabi Sands; on the far left, almost dead centre of the map.
  • Sabi Sands Game Reserve is on the far right of the picture (in a turquoisey blue).

Limpopo Game Reserves

Bye now or I'll be late for an appointment.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:42 PM »
April 15 - Becky Hart posted on FB

Utterly content..... The Kalahari is bliss... Spent the majority of today rolling around in the sand... Covered head to toe in dust and dirt! Not sure whether I am reddy brown from the sun or sand probably both lol Zzzzzz time for bed but looking forward to giving a fuller update tomorrow afternoon. Good night from Africa :) x

So, is Becky resting up in the Kalahari before the crew for the Thornybush Safari Drives head out???   Or is she replacing the camera person there (Kalahari)  :question

We just have to wait and see.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
April 21, 2013

:help  I can't keep up these days. Too much action everywhere.

For info about the impending drives WildEarth.TV page on FB has a lot of info

Friday April 19th and 3 posts

April 19 Graham and Crew (1) by BBE2009, on Flickr

April 19 Graham and Crew (2) by BBE2009, on Flickr

April 19 Graham and Crew (3) by BBE2009, on Flickr

Saturday April 20 - Two posts
When Becky posted a couple of weeks saying she was heading to warmth, I wondered and if she might be headed for Thornybush drives. Then Graham posted that someone was leaving WE's 'Meerkat Gang' project so I though maybe she was going there (Kalahari Desert).

WE's new 'Meerkat Gang' team does indeed include Rebecca (Becky) Hart. Good luck to her.  :ecsmile

April 20 New Meerkat Team by BBE2009, on Flickr

The pink Jigga is loaded and ready to head from Johannesburg to Thornybush. Once there (hopefully Monday, maybe Tuesday) it will be spray-painted 'mama mala green'.

April 20 ready to head for Thornybush by BBE2009, on Flickr

No definite info to date as to when the drives start or times etc.

:thumbup: :nod2

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 06:06:01 PM »
April 23, 2013

From Graham Wallington

The jigga has been re-sprayed! We loved the pink color but we knew it wasn't going to work here in Thornybush! It is all going well here. The crew have settled in and are starting to learn the roads and the animals in this neck of the woods. The tech team are hard at work resolving signal issues and a myriad of other things. We will keep you posted as often as possible. We are all looking forward to going LIVE.

April 23 - Jigga re-painted by BBE2009, on Flickr

Day by day, getting closer to going on the Jigga  :thumbup: