Author Topic: Other African Wildlife Issues & Projects  (Read 18803 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Safari Hunting to cease in Botswana
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
Great news from Botswana (Africa) related to safari hunting.

On Sept. 17, 2013 Dereck Joubert (renowned Filmmaker/Conservationist) made this announcement from Greater Kruger National Park.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/bios/jouberts/

Thank you  :thumbup: and good luck to all involved.

Now if they could just stop the poaching of ivory from rhinos and elephants  :pray
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
Re: Other African Wildlife Issues & Projects
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/519/765/555/tell-nbc-sports-to-cancel-under-wild-skies/

Please take a moment to learn what NBC sports is broadcasting. 

Offline linused

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
Thanks Boodle for the heads up,  I have signed the petition and will block NBC from my satellite. They are mad

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
me too linus....and I went to their FB page and let them know.  While there, I noticed they are getting it from all sides.  Many people are boycotting them.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »
Boodle,

Many thanks for your post. All this makes me see red. It has been estimated that the elephant population in Africa will be non existent in the next 30 years or less.

Some of the countries have taken some steps to legislate / make illegal safari hunting - but it is known that some of the provinces safari guides have also been involved in ivory poaching.  There was TV documentary last year or early this year where a reporter went to Africa and China and documented the activity. An eye opener.

You may recall that in April, 2013 King Juan Carlos of Spain was in Botswana on a hunting safari (and I believe he killed an elephant). After returning to his Lodge he fell and broke his hip. Prior to that he was on another trip and in a photo was seen with a rifle and two dead Cape Buffalo. And at some point Donald Trump's sons were on a hunting safari and killed seveal mammals and were seen laughing in one photo.

I see that as of Sept. 27
NBC will not re-run the episode of "Under Wild Skies" that shows Makris shooting the elephant.

Full story by Nick Wong of the Huffington Post can be read HERE.
ecsad
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: MARC WEINER Nov. 2013
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »
Today, Graham Wallington posted on Facebook. Marc apparently is being considered for a 'BIG OPPORTUNITY'. A 21 minute video is attached of Marc presenting on assorted drives when WE was at Thornybush earlier this year.

Viewers are asked to leave comments under the video to indicate why folks so enjoyed Marc as a presenter.

The video is very good and shows Marc's obvious love of ellies etc.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGJILHUVdNw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGJILHUVdNw</a>

He always amazed me by walking barefoot; particularly in the long grass  :eceek

Good luck Marc, may you finally land on your feet post WE. :goodluck

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
Organized crime targeting wildlife. Experts meet to discuss halting illegal trade that's costing the world billions
Nov. 7, 2013 Vancouver Sun
By Jason Straziuso, The Associated Press Novemberer 7, 2013

The illegal cutting of timber and the poaching of elephants and rhinos are part of a "rapidly escalating environmental crime wave" that international governments must combat by increasing co-operation, police and environmental officials said Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Organized+crime+targeting+wildlife/9136440/story.html#ixzz2k16khHkG

Unless a solution to stop / reduce the poaching, the population of elephants and rhinos will be extinct in less than 20 years.

:ecsad