Author Topic: Other African Wildlife Issues & Projects  (Read 18777 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Other African Wildlife Issues & Projects
« on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
This topic has been set up for news 'of interest' which are not really related to any of the other topics on this board. Any updates to the items posted may also be added.

If anyone sees any news like the following item please feel free to post, as these days I am no longer 'out and about' on the many assorted blogs, etc. looking for news.  :ecwink

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Other News and African Wildlife Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
Wonderful to see folks working together to deter the illegal poaching of Rhino horns for illegal trade.

This group has started infusing Rhino horns with Ectoparasites.
This process renders the horn useless to poachers as all the rhino horns in the Sabi Sand's are now poisonous and not fit for human consumption.
By: Michael Grover

Post of Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=543144179488&set=a.503512481728.2005004.193700660&type=1&theater

If you then click on 'Michael's Timeline' there are more photos. etc.

And from the London Express of March 27, 2013. By: Richard Palmer
Prince William and Prince Charles join forces to tackle illegal poaching
Prince William is to join forces with his father to host a summit at St James's Palace in May on the illegal poaching of wild animals. The conference, bringing together key conservationists and policy makers to try to find a solution to a burgeoning crisis for wildlife and eco-systems, will mark a step change in the second-in-line to the throne's efforts to speak out on issues he feels passionately about.

Full Story at: http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/387449/Prince-William-and-Prince-Charles-join-forces-to-tackle-illegal-poaching

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:26:36 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
April 3 - Fight Back Against Rhino Poaching

Today the Sabi Sand Game Reserve made an announcement about the program to fight back against rhino poaching.  The poachers kill the rhinos for their tusks which are subsequently traded to China. Note see previous post.

Apr. 3 Announcement re Rhino Protection Program on Flickr

Andrew Parker is the CEO of Sabi Sand Game Reserve (SSGR).

Apr. 3 - Andrew Parker  on Flickr

His name maybe familiar to some of you. He is man who was contacted a couple of years ago when there was a sick (dying) elephant cow at Djuma, with a calf. Some viewers were adamant that a vet be brought out to Djuma. This didn't occur as the rule is 'if nature induced, they don't intrude on the course of nature'. The ellie cow died after a few days, and the calf was taken in by some females in the breeding herd.

Description of what the program involves

Apr. 3 - The Program on Flickr

Apr. 3 - Preparing to drill front horn. on Flickr

Measuring the front horn

Apr. 3 - Measuring the front horn. on Flickr

Preparing to drill into the back horn for the infusion

Apr. 3 - Readying to drill back horn.(4) on Flickr

Apr. 3 - Ready to drill into bak horn. on Flickr

Blogs from news and other lodges etc.
CNN Marketplace Africahttp://www.cnn.com/2011/11/15/world/africa/rhino-horn-trade

Cheetah Plains applauding Sabi Sand Game Reserve for the program:
 http://www.cheetahplains.com/news/entry/hands-on-conservation-means-hands-off-our-rhinos

Inyati Game Lodge
http://inyatigamelodge.com/

Well done to Andrew Parker and his group for implementing the program. Let us hope and pray the desired outcome is achieved.

:pray

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: A BABY GIRL for SEB & SHANNON
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:45:57 PM »
April 20, 2012

Earlier today on 'Djuma Djunkies' group I asked if anyone had heard whether Seb and Shannon's baby had arrived. Yes, Casey Jade Rombi arrived on Wednesday (April 17, 2012). She weighed in at 2.8kg (a smidge over 6 pounds).

Best wishes to Seb, Shannon and Casey Jade  :hatch   :wub     :clap

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:50:05 PM »
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS TO SEB & SHANNON

:wub

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: More Rhinos killed
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
Very sad news as a result of despicable actions by poachers and seemingly they were aided by rangers.

1. Poachers wipe out Rhino in Mozambique Park.
2013-04-26 22:39

Cape Town - Poachers, aided by game rangers, have killed every single rhino in the Mozambique section of one of Southern Africa’s most vaunted transfrontier parks.

The director of the International Fund for Animal Welfare's wildlife crime and consumer awareness programme, Kelvin Alie,said poachers had killed 15 rhino in Mozambique's Limpopo National Park last month, the last remaining animals from an estimated population of more than 300 when the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park was proclaimed in 2002.

The administrator of the Limpopo National Park told media that 30 rangers will appear in court soon, charged with involvement in the killing of the rhino.

“It is tragic beyond tears that we learn game rangers have now become the enemy in the fight to protect rhino from being poached for their horns.

Rest of the story at:http://www.news24.com/Green/News/Poachers-wipe-out-rhinos-in-Mozambique-20130426

2. Poachers have killed all rhinos in Limpopo Park, Mozambique
By JohnThomas Didymus
Apr 27, 2013

The directors of the Limpopo National Park (PNL) in Mozambique have announced that poachers have wiped out all the rhinos in the park. Poachers traffic in rhino horns to meet the Asian market demand for preparations believed to have medicinal properties.

The Limpopo National Park in Mozambique is an extensive trans-frontier wildlife reserve. The Portugal News reports that according to park director Antonio Abacar, no rhinos have been seen in the park since January. Abacar said failure to sight a rhino in the park for so long means that all "the ones that lived on the park are probably dead."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/348952#ixzz2RiIpY4S7

3. Minister calls for shoot to kill policy in Botswana
Posted by Kevin Heath posted on April 27th, 2013 at 2: 19 pm and last updated on April 27th, 2013 at 2: 21 pm

The Deputy Speaker of the Botswana Parliament, Pono Moatlhodi, has called for the immediate introduction of a shoot to kill policy to tackle poachers targeting rhino and elephants in the country. His call for a new tougher stance against the poachers comes just days after Mozambique declared that the Limpopo National Park lost its last 15 rhino to the poachers.

With the rising demand for rhino horn and elephant ivory from China and Vietnam there is the real fear that the loss of rhino from the Limpopo National Park could just be the first in a line of national parks that will lose their populations.

Rest of the story at: http://wildlifenews.co.uk/2013/minister-calls-for-shoot-to-kill-policy-in-botswana/

:ecsad    :mgritted

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
 :eccry

:sigh
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline baysis

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:50:15 AM »
 Not perhaps for the faint hearted.....

Our 10 yr old grandson has been raising money for Ol Pejeta Conservancy (who have four of the last seven Northern White Rhinos left  http://www.olpejetaconservancy.org/wildlife_conservation/northern-white-rhinos) and was doing a presentation at his school about what he was undertaking ('swimming' the distance to Kenya).   He feels so strongly about what is happening & wanted to include these photographs to show the appalling destruction rhino poachers leave behind, but in the end, decided not to show them feeling the younger children might find them too distressing.  

http://www.olpejetaconservancy.org/about/news/poachers-strike-ol-pejeta-conservancy

Perhaps these are photographs that should be shown everywhere where poached rhino horn 'medicine' is sold.

Warning - it is a distressing blog
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:17:02 PM by BBE »
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand (Confucius)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
Baysis, it is an extremely disturbing thing that a species is being exterminated for greed and myth. Your grandson is doing a wonderful thing! There are some pictures that he might want to include in a presentation that show a baby in front of a dead mom but don't show her hacked up. That might help him for younger audiences.  Just a thought.
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
Hello Baysis, I am so pleased to see you here; it has been a while  :ecsmile

Your grandson is to be commended for his action and I wish him luck with the swim.

Canada has a TV channel called 'Oasis' - wildlife stories from around the world. One program I usually watch is 'Ol Pejeta Diaries', have seen the rhinos.
http://www.oasishd.ca/

Offline baysis

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:20:25 AM »
BBE and emc, thank you both so much for your comments & links and apologies for my not posting much - I always enjoy catching up on all the news!

James is doing his Powerpoint presentation tomorrow to school assembly, and when we spoke over the weekend, he was still a bit undecided as to 'how much' he should actually show.  He felt that the picture of Upendo's calf could enable him to explain what had happened - so it will be interesting to hear how he goes.

He & the family are hoping to go to Ol Pejeta in October and may be even get to Lewa to hear how the orphan is progressing.  When they were at Ol Pejeta a couple of years ago, the boys made friends with Baraka, the blind rhino, and I think that was the start of James' 'crusade'. 
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand (Confucius)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: May 20 - ELEPHANT POACHED AT TEMBE
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
First the Rhinos and now an elephant in Tembe Park. Reprehensible. It makes me :eccry  :msick

This news was posted today by Ernest Robbertse on the FB page for Tembe.

Elephant Poached at Tembe ---- It is with regret that the Park announce that on Monday (May 20) night 9 poachers entered the Park from Mozambique along our northern boundary and poached a mature elephant cow. The tusks were sawn off the carcass and removed. The gunshots were heard during Monday night and the poached elephant was found yesterday morning. We did not make this sad announcement yesterday as public knowledge may have hampered follow up operations which are still continuing. The rifle used was an AK47. No AK47’s are licensed for use in South Africa (not even for government). This is sadly the first elephant ever to be poached in Tembe Elephant Park.

Location of Tembe:

Loacation of Tembe and countries it borders

Situated in Maputaland, the north-eastern region of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, adjoining the Mozambique border, Tembe Elephant Park is home to the province's biggest African elephant herd and its only indigenous elephants. Tembe's African elephants used to be South Africa's last remaining free-ranging herd, at one time moving seasonally between Mozambique and Maputaland. In recent years they have sought refuge in the dense sand forests of Tembe to escape the depredations of border conflicts and landmines, and their continuous harassment by ivory poachers.
Ref: http://www.sa-venues.com/game-reserves/kzn_tembe.htm

Other References:
1. The Ivory Route: The elephants in this area are huge and are known for their long tusks, earning them the name of 'Tuskers'.
http://www.tembe.co.za/about.htm

2. KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KwaZulu-Natal

Web Cams:  
1. http://www.tembe.co.za/webcam.htm

2. http://www.africam.com/wildlife/

When will all the poaching stop? :ecsad

P.S. I did think about not posting this. If poachers see what has been written in the 'media', it might encourage them to act again.   However, the above is on two social media formats.  Also in South African press, including:

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: News and Photos from Seb Rombi
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »
Seb made this post on FB today our time but Sunday July 7 CAT.

Sebastien Rombi

Hello Everybody :-) A little update on our family..I just posted a little album...see below! All is going well and we are pleased to announce that we have a new addition in the family...His name is Rocky and he is a beautiful 10 month old Golden Retriever from PAWS (Plett Animal Welfare)..Maui and him are best friends!! Casey is growing well and throwing hundreds of smiles at us every day...She is getting cuter by the day and she now sleeps through the night!! YAY!!!!! Shannon is doing fantastically well, taking on board a second business (guesthouse) in our area with lots of potential...And my 3D wildlife film school is taking off with our first course starting next month!! We now also offer packages in Kruger National Park with EcoTraining :-) Hope you all well and enjoying the new drives. Big Hugs from the 5 of us here in Plettenberg Bay :-))

Photos from late June

Casey and Seb. Casey is holding her bottle - unassisted at almost 3 months. :eclove

Shannon took this photo and framed it for Father's Day 2013

Casey and her Mom

Maui and Rocky playing on the beach

Out for the count

And you know who has her Dad twisted around her little finger

:wub

Offline linused

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
Thanks  BBE for the introduction to all the news in this thread. So many interesting things  to read. Baysis, I read about your grandson's power point presentation. Wonderful to hear about young people who are interested in wildlife and ready to address some of the harsh realities that go with it. How did his presentation go, and what photos did he use? To your gran,  Keep up the good work