Author Topic: Re: Jan. 2013 - Apr. 2014: Karula and Her Two New Sons (not drives)  (Read 75501 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Jan. 2013 - Apr. 2014: Karula and Her Two New Sons
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »
From Djuma Private Game Reserve: Jan. 23, 2014 comes the news we have been waiting for since December 2013.

An exciting morning as the decision has been made and Karula's cubs have been named!!

They are not quite independent yet and will continue to stay with 'MUM' for quite some time to come, however they are venturing off on their own allot more lately and so we felt it was time.

Quarantine Male, is certainly living up to his name as he has been hanging around our quarantine area for the last 3 days. He is the more aggressive of the two males which at the moment is one of his distinct characteristics. I believe he is going to grow up to be one fierce male.

Kunyuma (one of the Tsonga meanings for ‘shy’) is definitely my favorite of the two. He has a very meek and placid nature. Kunyuma will often avoid eye contact with the vehicle and slink off to seek the safety of a branch or shrub.

I will endeavour in the next few days to try and get a close up picture of each boy, so we can... as they say.... "put a name to a face".

I am excited to see what Mother Nature has in store for these two beautiful boys..!!

Candice

As Karula and Mvula mated several times at DPGR; the cubs were named by team at DPGR.  Candice is the General Manger of the Lodges.

Update from DPGR re pronunciation of Kunyuma.  It is pronounced 'Kun-you-ma'. (The beginning part, Kun is a deep U, like Uno not like the word umbrella).

Thank you Candice and team.  :thumbup:
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Jan. 23, 2014: More re Karula's Cubs Names
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 11:31:30 PM »
Jennifer Baird posted this on FB Jan. 23, 2014.

She saw Karula and one of her boys on Sept. 27, 2013 at Arathusa.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFM40NHwkc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFM40NHwkc</a>
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline linused

Re: 2013: Karula and Her New Family
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2014, 12:52:37 AM »
Hi BBE,   I've been missing your posts and updates. Hope you are all settled in and ready for a Happy New Year.     Thanks for this latest news. I loved the video.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2014, 11:13:40 PM »
Thanks linused for your kind words. Almost all organized in new home. :thumbup:

This video was taken about 6:30 p.m. (CAT) on Jan. 24 at DPGR.  Co workers on video Muttluver and a great job by the 'zoomie du jour'. The Egyptian Geese were not amused by the presence of the 'cubs'. :ecrolleyes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhQ5l3oQKs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhQ5l3oQKs</a>

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
These photos are from Jan. 23 / 24th of Karula and boys at the waterhole.  When leopards are seen 'playing' or 'grooming' there is likelihood of one leopard being Karula. As if you look closely one is smaller and thinner than the other.??

Cubs at rest. By Gabi H.

Cubs have heard Karula calling them. By Dorothy H.

Getting ready to go to Mum. By Mary J.

Thought to be Karula at the 'runoff'. Could well be as thinner and smaller than the boys. By Linda McC.

Two boys or One boy and Mum ??
By Laura H.

By Gabi. H.

:heart   :ecsmile   :eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
I have yet to see any photos from this meeting. Reported by Candice (GM at DPGR).

Jan. 27 Meeting of the family.

Good night, sleep tight. :offtobed

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
Today (Jan. 31, 2014) in the FB group 'Karula and Family Photos, there was discussion regarding the name 'Quarantine Male' for one of Karula's year or so old boys.

Photo taken by Jors Dannhauser (I think from Jan. 29, 2014)

One comment and then a reply from Claire-M. Lepage (who has been watching WE cam since its inception) who knows a lot about the leopards we have seen. She is the 'go-to' person for answers.

Comment: Wish they would have found a more regal name for Karula's son. She's royalty and her cubs are always spectacular.

Reply from Claire-M. Lepage
The part of Djuma, near Gowrie dam, called Quarantine is very important in the history of the development of Djuma as a private game reserve.

At the beginning it was fenced to give the time for the imported Blue Wildebeests to feel at home in their new environment.

For Karula also, it's an important place, it's where she met and mated with Jordaan's male (Yambilu-Jordaan) and the result was Shadow and Thandi. And Karula had to conquer Quarantine from Beacon female to become the Queen of Djumaland. Try to see Quarantine as a Duchy and Quarantine male as a Duke.

And I remember so many beautiful sunrises from my years with WE morning drives when I sat with Pieter Pretorius in the dark waiting for the first morning glows to appear and the sun appearing slowly shaping the Marula trees and sometimes a giraffe ... It's also there that we spent great moments of excitement with Somalie the beautiful one tusk elephant cow and her inquisitive calves. Many great memories are attached to Quarantine for me.

I did not know the parts that:
  • The Quarantine area being fenced in way back when for the imported Wildebeests.
  • Karula had to claim it from the Beacon Female.

Thanks Claire for permitting me to copy and paste your post.  :flower

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
Hello,

Sorry to say, but I am taking a break from 'Wildlife in Africa'.  All the computer time required to enable posting the info here is further upsetting my vision.

If anyone spots/hears any major news from the cams, Facebook, or websites etc. leave a post for all to read.

So many years later, and it has been along time as Karula has had 4 litters (8 children, some now with their own children) since I first started watching.  :eclove

:ty   :group

Offline linused

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
BBE   I am sure going to miss your posts. Please know I appreciate all the hard work and effort you put into your posts. They are always fun and interesting. I hope you will send a few now and then.   Many thanks for the years of interest in the critters from another place.    :heart

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2014, 05:29:15 AM »
Echoing Linus' post BBE.  Thank you for all the great Africa posts!

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2014, 02:39:13 AM »
Well, here I am in Africa to continue the Djuma story.  I am in my second day at Arathusa Lodge just next door to Djuma.  Our first night we spent almost an hour of our night drive watching Mvula and Thandi (Karula's daughter) mating.  And we watched them again last night.  in some places people would call Thandi a not-so-nice name.  I would call her a hopeless flirt.  When we get home I will post video of the two of them.  The noises they make are amazing.

And today we saw the herd of blue wildebeest that are mentioned a post or two above!

We've also spent time with the Styx pride of lions with their three lovely cubs and seen innumerable hippos, antelope, warthogs and so on.  This is a beautiful place!

Our guide Roy knows Pieter, Marc, Tara, Patrick and Rex well.  His home village is near to Rex's.  I feel like I am with old friends after all the years of watching Djuma on WildEarth.  On tonight's drive Roy has said he will take us to the big Gowrie Dam where the camera is still broadcasting.  I don't know if our jigga will be visible on cam but what a thrill!

How many more exclamation points can I use?   !!!!!!!  I think the only thing comparable would be to go on the Hip Trip.
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2014, 06:32:31 AM »
Maggiesmom, how exciting that you are able to experience this first hand!!!  I am looking forward to hearing more about your envious adventure.  Pictures, video and commentary please.  Be safe and enjoy!

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Jan. 2013 - Apr. 2014: Karula and Her Two New Sons - not drives
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »
Hi MM,

How wonderful that you have been/still are in Africa. I had heard via Fol-di-rol that you had been on Chat and had seen Mvula and Thandi doing what animals do!!

I do envy you and have fond memories of a safari in 2008; but it didn't include Sabi Sands.

I look forward to seeing your pics/videos.

While I haven't been watching the cam I do have some photos to load at some point - mostly Feb. and march.  Finding the time to do so has been an issue, as has uploading to Flickr. Not to mention company and enjoying new people and activities in my new home.

All the best MM and enjoy the rest of your trip.

:ecsmile