Author Topic: Re: Jan. 2013 - Apr. 2014: Karula and Her Two New Sons (not drives)  (Read 75383 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Dec.19, 2012 - Update about our beloved female leopard - La Diva Karula

:woohoo2  from my readings on Facebook groups etc.; Karula is very pregnant and by now has either delivered or will soon deliver her 4th litter.  :pray   :goodluck

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

January 9, 2013 at 10:10:03 AM

Good morning all,

Depending on where the news comes from I am easily  :mconfused as to which of the two topics the news should go into.

To make it easier for all of us I have set up this new topic. Here we can post, add photos / videos and discuss the news and ask questions about 'La Diva' (Karula) and her new fourth litter.

By the end of today or Wed. morning I hope to have posts placed in the other two topics moved into this new topic.

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:29:21 AM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Jan. 2013 - Apr. 2014: Karula and Her Two New Sons
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
I am glad to hear Karula is doing okay. I hope to hear about her new cub(s) soon!  :eclove

Late Wed. evening (Dec. 26) I posted on FB's group 'Leopards of Sabi Sands' and asked if there was any news about  Karula. Elin Fowler replied
Karula was seen pregnant in Oct, not exactly sure of the dates. I was just posting to another WE friend wondering if anyone heard about Karula giving birth yet. Great minds think a like BBe.

:eclove
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:23:17 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
KARULA HAS GIVEN BIRTH

It sure paid off to ask the question if any news re Karula. My sincere thanks to Elin F. on FB's group 'Leopards of Sabi Sands' who communicated with several other folks.  Within 24 hours of my asking, there are now several comments / posts.

Rangers are saying they were born about 3 weeks ago.
  • Not seen as yet.
  • Number and sex not known.
  • Born around Elephant Plains.
The bush telegraph is spreading the word fast and furious.  :biggrin3

Jan. 1, 2013. The two photos of conversation on FB's group 'Leopards of Sabi Sands' would not show here. This is my copy of the conversation as it occurred.

KARULA HAS CUB(S) - WHOOPEE

Here in chronological order are the posts / comments on FB group 'Leopards of Sabi Sands' Dec. 26 between myself and Elin F.

BBE: My post asking re any updates on Karula. "I have not been here for some weeks now. I hope you have/are enjoying some time with family and friends. I look forward to 2013 and more news and photos about the leopards.
Speaking of which, has there been an update on whether Karula is pregnant and if so might she have had her fourth litter?
TY and :)"

Elin: Karula was seen pregnant in Oct, not exactly sure of the dates. I was just posting to another WE friend wondering if anyone heard about Karula giving birth yet. Great minds think a like BBe.

BBE: Elin, thank you so much for the update. I followed Karula on WE from the time the drives started. Beautiful offspring.

Elin: So did I Bbe, I just did some digging and have NEWS ON KARULA!! Someone heard from Ryan Johnston of Arathusa that Karula has had her cubs about 3 weeks ago although no info at the moment on how many or if anyone has seen them. Anat, Mika, Sy, great news, eh? Do you know any more about this?

Elin: My pleasure to pass this news on. I just rec'd a response from Elephant Plains who said they did see Karula in early Dec. with suckle marks but don't know any details. I hope she will be seen more often now and maybe in a few weeks with the cub or cubs.

BBE: Elin, thanks, great news indeed. I will pass it onto my friends who will be ecstatic.

After the above, comments on the FB group 'Djuma Djunkies'
Sandi R.:
How exciting is this!!! Hope she brings them around to Djuma so we can see them!!
KARULA NEWS from asking around. Greg McCall-Peat heard from Ryan Johnston of Arathusa that Karula had her cub(s) about 3 weeks ago although nobody had seen them yet. She is keeping them hidden and no one knows how many cubs or sexes. I just wanted to pass this on since we just heard it. Pray for Karula and her new cub(s). ♥ Greg and/or Ryan will give us more info when available. Yay![/Fowler

Elin:
Glad you posted this here, Sandi. The word is spreading . Deb, I am so glad I can share this with all the Karula lovers and it's all due to me asking at the right time...when Greg McCall-Peat saw my post and responded so quickly that Ryan from Arathusa knew she had given birth. I'm sure in the days and weeks ahead we will hear more. :-)))

Elephant Plains FB timeline Dec. 27 - Elin F. asked them if they had seen Karula?  Almost an immediate answer:
E.P. Rangers: Good morning Elin thanks we had a wonderfull Chritmas, hope you and your family also had a Merry Christmas. Yes we saw her the beginning of the month with suckle marks but don't know how many cubs.

So, there you have it - Karula has given birth to her 4th litter.  As we know Karula will keep her family well hidden from predators and keep moving them fronm den to den until she is sure it is afe to bring them out into the open.

:hooray :goodluck :wub
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:23:36 PM by BBE »

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
Thank you for your investigative work, BBE! :investigate2

How wonderful to hear that Karula  :heart has been sighted and has given birth. I wish her another successful period of rearing her cubs.  :pray

Oh, how I miss the drives.... :sigh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:24:18 PM by BBE »
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: 2013: Karula and Her New Family
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
I miss the drives too. Even if they were bouncing, boring at times, and some accents difficult to understand. I'd take them all back in a heartbeat.

Wonderful to hear about Karula. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more. Sure do wish we could be in a jeep walking along side her  :sigh

What a  :eclove :heart she is to be near.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:41:36 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
BBE-That is wonderful news! Sure would be great if someone could get a picture for us!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:42:01 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »
Indeed it is such fantastic news. It would be cool if Karula went back to Djuma, at least we'd have the waterhole cam just in case.  Four litters since February 2007.

I am thinking she will likely stay around EP or Arathusa ? All the reserves will soon know that there are oodles of folks on FB interested in seeing photos. Rangers/Guides will be armed with a camera when on drives.  So with luck we should see photos.

If I recall correctly it was about a month before Karula showed of her first litter Saseka and Tingana (females).  Mixo and Induna it was a little longer.  Have patience.

:wub

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »
Happy New Year all

Someone kindly pointed out to me that the two photos in my Dec. 27, 2012 post about Karula giving birth were not visible to all.  I have re-done that portion of my post Karula Has Given Birth - Whoopee.

As of today no further information has been posted on FB.

Cam working at DPGR. The big male leopard Mvula has been around. He is such a handsome leopard. I have photos others have taken and will post them soon.

Note at 5:32 p.m. - I forgot that the PBS series 'Downton Abbey' resumes this evening.     Therefore editing, uploading and posting the photos may not be done until tomorrow.   :ecwink   :sorry

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
This is getting to be nail biting.  I have put 'Downton Abbey' on record for a few minutes.

Early morn (Jan. 7) CAT - a female leopard who appears to be lactating is near Vuyatela - looks like it could be Karula.  That might explain Mvula's presence. As he mated with La Diva several times; so ? father of K's latest cub(s).  

Hopefully on Mon. I'll have time to post more pics.

Jan. 5 CAT - Mvula; male leopard.

Jan. 7 CAT about 5:30 a.m. - Possibly Karula; female leopard.  She has the 'necklace' and the 'WOW'

Many thanks to Brian Crane for the photos, and to the zoomie too  :thumbup:

Video too. You can see what I think is a post partum belly and also near the end swollen teats; (when she is walking right to left as you watch and you look quickly.)

:thumbup:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0LRJ1f7aXA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0LRJ1f7aXA</a>

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
More and more folks on FB who are well versed in ID of Sabi Sands leopards are saying it is Karula.  In which case that does likely mean Mvula is the Daddy and he has come to check on la Diva and offspring.  Which makes Karula's other mating partner the male leopard Tingana an 'also ran'. They both were seen mating with Karula.

:ecsmile  :eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »
Well, everyone of the leopard ID experts agrees it was indeed 'La Diva' Karula who graced us with her presence.  Next visit with an introduction to her latest offspring would put the icing on the cake   :nod2  :eclove

In the meantime more photos of the lady

Beautiful Karula by Cam MM

Collage by Brian C.

:wub

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
Jan. 9, 2013 from Arathusa on FB

Arathusa Safari Lodge. 1,236 like this. 9 hours ago. - - - -

News regarding Karula's cubs: there has still not been a sighting of them, but she is lactating, so clearly they are fine, wherever she has cunningly hidden them...

:ty

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
A good idea to set up a topic for Karula.  :ecsmile
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:44:12 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »
Whew, I remembered how to 'move posts and merge topics'.  I have checked all the posts here for links and have edited a couple, so hopefully all the posts are in place. And I have left a post in the other 2 topics indicating that Karula updates are here.

I hope we see the new (cub(s) soon.

:nod2   :eclove

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:30 AM »
This is wonderful!  Thanks for the new thread.  I miss those drives terribly.  Wonder how Mark and Tara and all the rest are doing?
----------------------------------------------------------
BBE replied to MaggiesMom on Jan. 10, 2013

MaggiesMom, lovely to see you here. I am sure I speak for all who watched the game drives, when I say 'the drives, the wildlife and the crew' are all missed.

I realize this is not news about Karula, but to answer MaggiesMom question re Tara, Sebastien and Marc - - - - -

Tara continues to be a team leader at the Black Leopard Wildlife Campus. This is located in the Thaba Tholo Wilderness Reserve.   Tara is in some of the photos on this site.

She is seldom heard from, but did post on her blog site just before Christmas HERE.

Sebastien finished doing some 3D work for WE and a video company. Then he and his long time lady love - Shannon went to to help manage the lodge and he is now heavily involved as the course director at Beyond Borders Film School ** .

In Oct. of 2012 he post two pieces of great news:
1. He and Shannon are expecting a baby in late April of this year.
http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1120.msg120054#msg120054

2. He opened a nature film school and is the course director.  Click on the link in my first paragraph with the ** about Sebastien which goes to Schools timeline on FB and then click on 'About' for in depth detail.

Marc - has had short term positions in various places. I am not sure where / what he is up to at present.

April 3, 2013 - When I split the posts earlier today, it ended up in the wrong topic. So I copied it and added here after Maggies post.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:24:49 PM by BBE »
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer