Author Topic: Nest #9 West Carmichael - eaglet Niner  (Read 62898 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest #9 West Carmichael
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:25 AM »

Wren, you & i heard those soft calls from the adult of Nest #4 that day we visited there together.
i also heard them at Nest #25, that day i saw the adult there flying around with a fish, going from nest to perch tree to out over the water to the perch tree & out over the water, making that sound the whole time.
i thought they were calling last year*s eaglet, to feed them the fish.
They had landed on the nest & taken off again with the fish.
At the time i didn*t know they had an eaglet there!
So why were they flying around with a fish???
The sound they made was very distinctive.
Now we know this is a sound a lot of the adults make & we think they*re talking to their young.

i am still hearing sweet calling coming from Nest #9.
At one point the calling moved up to a loud frequent pitch, the adult flew over, maybe bringing food?
Wren, you are better than me at telling which eaglet is gone, & which one is still on the nest.
wooohoooo!

Offline imaneaglewatcher

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2010, 08:29:36 AM »
Booni, you are my hero, thanks for the amazing footage of this eaglet and parent.  It was indeed heartwarming. :nod2

Offline livylou

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:14 AM »
Wow, excellent documentary on the other Eagles & Eaglets.....what a super Mom !  When do you think Niner will be able to fly ?

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
JoyofDogs is a volunteer at MARS. She has taken pictures of "Niner." To see them go here. Woohoo!!!
http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=248.25
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline quinnie13

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
Barb ...  You are Hornby Island's Guardian Eagle Angel!  Now that's a title!!

Thank you for posting the wonderful video of the eaglet 'Niner.'  What a stunning bird!!!  I am wondering, however, if Niner isn't a girl.  He/She reminds me of another precious eaglet who was very insistent and very loud!  Niner barely let Mum get a 'word' in their conversation!! 

(((HUGS)))

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »
Barb ...  You are Hornby Island's Guardian Eagle Angel!  Now that's a title!!

Thank you for posting the wonderful video of the eaglet 'Niner.'  What a stunning bird!!!  I am wondering, however, if Niner isn't a girl.  He/She reminds me of another precious eaglet who was very insistent and very loud!  Niner barely let Mum get a 'word' in their conversation!!  

(((HUGS)))

Quinnie, the Gold Standard for determining whether an bald eagle is male or female is a DNA test.  The second best method is a set of specific measurements that have been established as helping to make that determination.   :nod2

MARS most likely will do the measurements.  They will let Ajl know if they do.   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
HRH Princess Boonibarb of Hornby  :biggrin6  Definately eagle pic royalty.  :eclove We are not worthy  :nope You deserve an Oscar Barb  :nod2  What would we do without you and everyone who bring pics and videos to us.  :grouphug2 Thank you millions  :nod2

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »
RE: the video of # 9 mom doing the soft calls. Could this be what was seen by Mom Hornby when it was thought there was no sound coming from her as Phoenix was removed?
beth
from California

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2010, 06:55:08 AM »

emc, winterwren & i have seen this sound made by adults at other nests with eaglets.
i had never heard Mum or Dad make this sound from the ground.
But, Dad was making that sound, as he was circling over the nest, the day Dan was climbing the tree to retrieve Phoenix, & i believe this was the almost silent sound coming from Mum in the video i took of her, watching Dan ascend the tree.
i could hear nothing from where i was photographing, in the yard of the blue roof house, but i believe Mum is talking to Phoenix here, in that soft call.
Her face looks fierce, but as you can see in the video of the Nest #9 adult, it is actually a soft, lovely, comforting sound being made.

:eccry

wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2010, 07:06:26 AM »
emc, winterwren & i have seen this sound made by adults at other nests with eaglets.
i had never heard Mum or Dad make this sound from the ground.
But, Dad was making that sound, as he was circling over the nest, the day Dan was climbing the tree to retrieve Phoenix, & i believe this was the almost silent sound coming from Mum in the video i took of her, watching Dan ascend the tree.
i could hear nothing from where i was photographing, in the yard of the blue roof house, but i believe Mum is talking to Phoenix here, in that soft call.
Her face looks fierce, but as you can see in the video of the Nest #9 adult, it is actually a soft, lovely, comforting sound being made.

:eccry

I've seen Mom make that silent call, too, and wondered what it meant.  Also, it might be at a frequency that we can't hear, but eagles can.

Just when I think that I won't cry anymore, the tears come again when I read about Phoenix.   :ecsad
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2010, 07:10:02 AM »
I've seen Mom make that silent call, too, and wondered what it meant.  Also, it might be at a frequency that we can't hear, but eagles can.

:nod2
wooohoooo!

Offline Trixie in Ontario

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »
Until the raccoons ate the eggs, there was a robin's nest on the fence in my backyard.  Whenever I appeared, Dad would make soft clicks and chirps from a nearby branch to reassure Mom on the nest.  I thought at first it was a low warning to me, but being able to watch them interact up close for quite a few weeks it became clear he was speaking to her.
Guest.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
I was watching Mom Hornby through Doug's telescope at the moment when Dan retrieved Phoenix from the nest. Her whole body was shaking from the power of her calling. Her body language was NOT calm.

The comforting call that we have been discussing in the last few posts is soft and calm, but it is audible from the ground. It would have easily been picked up by the cam's microphone - Mom was in the babysitting tree!
I looked 3 times at the hotspot and heard nothing.

So from all this I believe that Mom Hornby's final, anguished call to her eaglet was completely silent.

Wren

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

Winterwren, i take back what i said about Mum making soft calls to Phoenix in my video.
i totally agree that Mum was making silent, but very emotional, grieving calling at that time that is recorded in my video.
wooohoooo!

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
 :eccry :eccry
beth
from California