Author Topic: Nest #15 - eaglet Decker  (Read 51616 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Nest #15 - eaglet Decker
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2010, 08:47:49 PM »
Yes, Wren.  We're seeing up close and personal what few people have seen before, the results of over-fishing and other factors that directly affect the eagles and other wildlife.  

It also happens in the wild as part of the usual way that some other animals deal with the demands on their time and available food.  Giant Panda mothers in the wild frequently have twins and usually pick the stronger cub and neglect the weaker cub, who doesn't survive because of lack of food and care.  Bamboo is low in nutrients and requires a lot of the panda mother's time to find it, eat, and sleep the rest of the time to save energy.

If they are lucky, thank goodness, eagles usually find food that is much more nutritious than what Giant Pandas eat.  
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline lbnorthrup

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:26 AM »
I suppose the fishing industries then take precidence over the wildlife as it pertains to food source.  Quite sad that there isn't a way for everyone to have their fair share.  Has this been brought out publicly through the media to find a way to have constructive conversations on protecting wildlife as well especially given this year's affect on the eaglets.   It makes sense that eagles would hopefully hatch two chicks so that at least one would survive to adulthood.  This creature is a symbol for numerous countries for freedom, strength, agility......I would think we would want to do everything possible to ensure the survivalhood of God's wonderful creation here......my two cents! :eclove

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2010, 07:45:02 AM »
My opinion is that the fishing industries have nothing to do with the availability of midshipman fish or other shallow water fish that the eagles depend on during nesting.

I am also of the opinion that the fishing industry is blamed for the damage that foreign-owned fishfarms are doing to the Pacific coast salmon.

You can read here about 2010 being a record year for sockeye salmon:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=67.msg24099#msg24099
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I would, also, think that these sorts of things have and will go on always. We have just been able to have so many eyes on the Hornby eagles (thank you HEART and Doug) Our level of awareness and importance has sky rocketed by what we are learning and doing on this site. And thanks to rehab facilities, more and more are able to be saved. "This is a good thing"  :heart as that annoying tv celeb says.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »
Received an update from Maj on our eaglet Decker a day ago.

Decker should be sent to Robin at NIWRA - he is crashing about and is doing some damage to already fragile feathers so the move is imminent. I suspect he will need to remain in rehab for some time. I will try to get some video of this and the transfer down to NIWRA to post on the youtube for your viewers.  Hope to get pics of the others Niner, Brig and Rebecca while there.  discuss the chances of release and the timing of the event.  

Hopefully, the larger flight area will minumize the damage being done to Decker's tail feather. He is in the best hands he could be.  :nod2

:heart :heart :heart

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2010, 11:32:27 PM »
Poor little Decker. I just want to cuddle him, but I know that would not be the right thing to do. :sad

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »
Ajl, thank you for your answer.

Your comments also start to clarify the question of Decker's tail feathers - I did not know if they had failed to grow, or if by some accident they had been pulled off - your comments seem to indicate the former? Any thoughts about the cause?

I have seen an adult (at nest #4) with a gap of a couple of feathers, slightly off-centre in his or her tail (probably in the middle of a partial molt...) He or she didn't seem incapacitated... I guess I'm saying that a small gap in tail feathers is better than a big gap, and that I'm glad that *some* of Decker's tail feathers have grown in at least.

Wren, we can't know what caused the problem; I would have to see the feathers (all of them) myself to even hazard a guess.

The Number Four eagle would have been moulting; the birds are not incapacitated because the moult is gradual, with two old feathers moulting out and their replacements coming in, then another pair, and so on. All of Decker's tail feathers with the exception of the two central retrices are in. Maj suspects these may not come in until next spring, but like the Number Four bird, this should not present much of a problem (if any). When he is at the North Island facility, Robin will better be able to evaluate his abilities.
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
For the people new to this forum and wondering about some of the gaps in Decker's story...
A lot more information about Decker has been posted in the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation section of this forum, in the thread about the Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society.

From the day of Decker's arrival at MARS, his story became interwoven with that of two other Hornby eaglets, Niner and Li'l Brig, and Rebecca, and eaglet from Rebecca Spit on Quadra Island.

Click here to view the first post about Decker on the MARS thread... and read on.

The day we released Niner, Brig and Rebecca, Decker was transferred to the larger aviary at the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre. So future updates will probably be posted on that thread, also found in the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation section of this forum.
 :ecsmile
Wren