Author Topic: Sidney/Saanich Bald Eagle Nest  (Read 162441 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Sidney/Saanich Bald Eagle Nest
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
I'm hoping for mild weather this Easter weekend.  Certainly, my sheets did not dry on the line yesterday.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rNQUj_ERE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rNQUj_ERE</a>

Here is the old Garry Oak, in which the Sidney Bald Eagles nested for several years. It was destroyed in a storm on April 1. Sadly, the bird nests under this nest were also destroyed. Starlings usually take up residency here. All of their eggs and/or chicks were lost.

At least one of the microphones is still working, and if you turn up your sound, you will hear a few eagle cries and the songs of a few brave birds who managed to survive.

:eccry
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
Beans, thank you for posting the video.  It's such a shame that the Sid nest No. 1 is destroyed and that the starlings, their eggs and/or chicks are lost, too.  Thank goodness that the Sidney eagles are using Nest No. 2 as their main one now! 

Nest No. 1 there wasn't built on enough horizontal branches to have a solid base, from what we can see with most of the nest gone.  They still can go there as a place  to relax...wonder if they will?
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
I think they will --  it's in their territory and a good place to land for some R & R.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
Storms also took down the Delta O.W.L. nest...  and they haven't rebuilt.  I checked there today.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyqxOyTcN4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyqxOyTcN4</a>

I have no idea what happened to the nest with Bandit.  That nest fell apart two years in a row!
Jean, California

Online NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
A large black bird has stolen one of the Sidney eggs!!!!  I just happened to tune in and saw one adult leave the nest, and the thief come in.

hotspot:

Sad day on Sidney nest
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:50:42 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 07:59:24 PM »
That is so sad; but there have been times over the past two weeks when I have popped over there = no adults with the eggs.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
Who set the hot spot?  I saw that and recorded it (first the video... and then the audio....) and made a video.  Before I post it, I like to give credit to the person who set the hot spot.

Very frustrating!  So I guess just one eaglet this year.  I remember reading that eagles lay two eggs, the second one for "insurance."
Jean, California

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 08:54:38 PM »
Beans, birdsofprey posted that hotspot i believe.
wooohoooo!

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »

Video:  Raven Steals Egg from Sidney Eagle Nest

This video was recorded from a hotspot set by Birdofprey
Jean, California

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 11:41:26 PM »
On April 2, 2010 at 4:03 P.M. during the windstorm, Mom Sidney defended her nest against an 'intruder'. There has been some speculation as to whether this intruder may have been the raven who stole the egg.

The intruder was this young Bald eagle, who can be seen attempting to land at the left side of the nest. Note the yellow feet and the plumage. 

Image copyright HWF.
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 09:08:03 AM »
The more I watch these live cams, the more I learn about the eagles.  They must always be alert to intruders!  Other eagles, ravens...  And then there's the weather.  Storms have destroyed at least two nests, and there are probably others we don't know about.  And don't forget the snow.  We've seen eagles incubating under a blanket of white.  Not an easy or carefree life.
Jean, California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
Where were the eagles when the Raven took the egg, he seems quite casual? Were they deking out his mate & he went in for the egg or? Is there a link to hwf when this was happening?  The ravens are also laying now so i suspect they are extra braver because of the need for all the nutrients in the eggs.
Thank you for any links or info. :ecsmile

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
It's hard to understand how the raven got the eagle egg so easily!  :puzzled2   The adults might have been distracted for it to happen.  "Our" Hornby eagles seem always to have an eye out for intruders and create a big fuss to drive them away.  Hmmmmmm????!!!     

That really is a shame, but the one chick will get plenty of food and attention after it hatches.  
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
 :eccry  I feel so sad for the eagles and for the Sidney cam fans.  It is always so hard to accept nature's tougher aspects. (Tougher, of course, from our perspective.  I guess if we were watching a raven cam, we would be glad that they had food.....)

Passerine, here is a link that I think will help you find information about the incident.  (I did not watch the event, but apparently it is archived.)  There is also discussion about it on this HWF thread.
http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=410&mode=&show=25&page=95
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)