Author Topic: Nest Dunlop Point - 2012-2013 season  (Read 2971 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Nest Dunlop Point - 2012-2013 season
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »
This is where we will post fotos, videos & discussion of the Dunlop nest.

This nest is right on Dunlop Point, at the southern tip of Tribune Bay.
i*d pick this nest for an eagle cam.
The vista is magnificent.
They have fantastic fishing grounds here, & the leftover droppings show some well-fed Eagles!

To see the postings from the 2010-2011 season, click Here.

Last year's postings about this nest start Here.

Here's a copy of the map of the nests of Hornby Island. This is still the 2010-2011 map. The Dunlop Nest is toward the lower right of the map.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest Dunlop Point - 2012-2013 season
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:49:51 AM »
In early July I spoke to one of the neighbours of this nest. He told me that he was hearing a lot of eagle noise around, but he didn't know if there were any eaglets in the nest.

Later on I did three visits. The first two were in the afternoon, probably at nap time. The third was in the morning, at a time when I caught the eaglet of Nest 25 being active. I saw an adult on two of those visits, and heard evidence that the territory is occupied and defended, but at no time did I see or hear anything from the nest.

I took a series of photos of the nest from the beach, looking for the down fluffies that eaglets seem to shed in quantity at this time of year. I can't see any.

So I'm thinking that this pair may not have had eaglets this year.

Booni, do you know anything more?

July 10, 11:59 am (Taken on my return from Nest 25. I was within hearing of the Dunlop Nest for over 2 hours that morning.)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest Dunlop Point - 2012-2013 season
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »

wren, i SURE appreciate that you are getting around to all the Nests this time of year & telling us what you see there!

i had it in my head that i had posted obs of the Dunlop Nest, but now i can*t find them!  :puzzled2

On june 30 i was right under this Nest Tree because the yard & house where this Nest is was on the Hornby Home & Garden tour.
While enjoying the property, i had my eyes & ears open for Eaglets!
Near the Nest Tree was not a sign of Eagles.
i was looking for down, Fish bits, whatever.
& there was nary a peep from an Eaglet the whole time either, though i heard the adults from their perch trees on the Point.
i put it down to the time of day?
Nap time?
The garden across the street was also on the Tour, & i continued looking & listening from there.
i was chastised by my tour buddy for not keeping my eyes in the garden!
i heard no Eaglet sounds, & i must*ve been in the neighbourhood for an hour.
i messaged the people who live in the house under the Nest.
They had thought there was at least one Eaglet in the Nest a month earlier, but now were seeing & hearing no signs of one.
So i e-mailed the other neighbours of this Nest to ask for their observations.
They had seen what they thought was an Eaglet being fed, maybe a month ago.
But they are not seeing any signs of Eaglets now either.
wooohoooo!