Author Topic: Orange County Birds of Prey Center  (Read 35890 times)

Offline gzebear

Re: Orange County Birds of Prey Center
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
Opie!! I'm so happy for you, that you have found this wonderful place to volunteer! I love that you can post pictures - it is so cool to see your birds. Thanks for sharing ... I hope you enjoy every minute of your time there! :nod2

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »
Wow Opi!   what a great experience! 

Offline dusk44

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
Thank you Opie for your detailed story of the rehab and the pictures...feel like I'm there.

Dusk

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
Great Opiek,   do you sing to them?
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline OpieK

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »
hmmm, haven't tried singing yet, gma, just soft encouraging talk so far, maybe a tune for them next time...

Offline ccfan

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
 :heart OpieK :heart
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline OpieK

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »
Today we had so many volunteers our cleaning time was reduced to an hour.  I cleaned mew #6 with the four small birds and as usual Spartacus (burrowing owl) flew into his upside down crate to hide, Spud and Gus (screech owls) gave me the blinking eyes from the corner, and Aries the kestrel gave me a talking to - boy can she make noise!

Our barn owl was released while I was away, and we have a new turkey vulture, but no other changes in the bird population since my last visit.

I also cleaned the great horned owl cage - I hope the two youngsters will be ready for release soon.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:27:35 PM by OpieK »

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Nice  Opiek  love the two owls together and the others are very nice also!! :ecinnocent
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
Gee, Opiek, those Owls are so gorgeous!  It's so nice that so many volunteers are there!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline OpieK

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
After many weeks of travel I was able to go back to work this morning.  The barn owls have been released, but we have a new juvie red tailed hawk and two new great horned owls.

I cleaned the owl mews and then spent time organizing and hanging the signs that go on the cabinets, refrigerators, and walls.

The new hawk has coloring quite different than the adults, and he seems to have tail feathers missing.  There is a party for the volunteers this afternoon, so maybe I'll find out more about him.  He has anklets, so he must belong to someone.  More news later...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:31:28 PM by OpieK »

Offline OpieK

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
I found out last week that the anklets may be put on by the vet if the bird needs handling, but no news on why the juvie hawk is with us.  He is still favoring his right leg.

Today Faerie Gardener came with me to help at the center.  We cleaned the large mew with the turkey vultures and kite, and then worked on cleaning one of the refrigerators.  As Michelle says, working at the center is like housework, only smellier.

Several of the education birds were being readied for an outing today, so Faerie got to meet them up close.  Hank the education red tailed hawk got to go outside today while the others went on their outing.  He's a handsome dude!

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
I had a wonderful time at the Center - there are the nicest people there, and the setting is incredible. I especially loved getting up close with the owls! OpieK cleaned the mew for a Great Horned Owl who imprinted on a dog! He plays with toys, like a rolled up newspaper and a ball! The red shouldered hawks are so pretty up close. It is hard to pick a favorite! OpieK is a Pro now at the job, and they must be so happy that she is there  :-)
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
Faerie! Both you and Opiek are blessings! Thank you for the work you do! :hug
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »
Kudos to you both! Happy for you, the facility and the birds you help  :heart. How wonderful to get to spend some time being up close to them. :wub

Faerie, so glad this is close enough to your son's for you to be able to do this.  :hooray
beth
from California

Offline OpieK

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
Today was a cool, overcast, foggy day when I arrived to work at the center.  I cleaned JR, the Harris Hawk's cage first.  He does his poopshots through the window to the outside, so it's a real task getting the grate and windowsill clean.  I remember stories of soldiers being punished by having to clean the latrine with a toothbrush.  Turns out the toothbrush worked pretty well!  I also cleaned Hank the Red Tailed Hawk's cage.  I was almost finished when Michelle came to take him outside to be weighed.

For me the best part of the day was spending time watching the education birds being weighed and getting some fresh air.  I took 80 photos, sheesh!

Here are just a few - here is JR the Harris Hawk after being weighed: