Author Topic: Travel  (Read 85403 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Travel
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 03:55:16 PM »
I forgot to bring my regular camera.  At least I remembered the video camera.  I was going to make videos of birds, but there were just too many people around.  Had to hold my temper when a little boy started throwing rocks at a group of female Mallard ducks.  I asked him not to do it.  What I wanted to say was "Stop throwing rocks at the ducks, you little sh*t." 
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
 :eceek :eclol :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Online Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 05:05:02 PM »
 :toetap  Were his parents watching or was he unsupervised?!   :ecnono  I used to get those kids in class and had to teach them the meaning of the word "NO."    :gaah  I could be considered "The Queen of Mean" when it came to class rules... :eceek  :eclol

"My Way or the Highway" was my motto!    :toetap   

And "Firm, but Fair" was another.     :rotf1

Actually, most kids like to be in a classroom where they know they will be safe.   :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:04 AM »
looks like a nice place  beans . Thanks  for  posting  video . Where was the parents of the kid ? like  tiger  I  would have  said  something  a might  stronger   :mgritted

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
We had an awesome trip to the British Virgin Island this last March.  I awoke each morning to some beautiful bird sounds and cool breezes.  This was my favorite time of day there.  I finally figured out how to share the sounds I recorded. Hope you enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_uYL-mElOs
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »
Beautiful scenery and birdsong  :eclove  Nice to see before I leave for the bird hospital this morning.
Jean, California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »
In mid September I spent a week with my brother and sister in-law who have a summer home in New Brunswick (one of the Maritime Provinces), aka NB.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritimes

The weather was a mixed bag, cool, overcast, sunny, and infrequent ‘drizzle’; none of which dampened our plans and spirits. Even though I lived in Quebec for 22 years I never visited the Gaspe home of the Percé Rock and Bonaventure Island.

I am going to 'show and tell' about the wonderful trip to the Gaspe Peninsula.

References for this portion:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasp%C3%A9_Peninsula

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perc%C3%A9_Rock

After a day to recuperate from my west to east coast flights and a 2 hour drive, we set off on the much anticipated three day trip from Bathurst to the Gaspe Peninsula / Gaspésie.  

Clickable map - on top left of image click on 'zoom' and then 'high resolution'.

The first day we travelled along the coast road (orange) left from Bathurst to Campbellton, where we crossed into Quebec at Pointe-a-la-Croix. We were now on the south coast of the Gaspe Peninsula bounded by La Baie de Chaleur on the south and the St. Lawrence River on the north. We continued on the winding coast line road to Percé. All the time we were driving along the edges of slopes / hills going down to the water. The tide was on its way in. We passed through many small quiet, but colourful towns and villages. In summer this area is extremely busy with summer vacationers, and bus tours. Wooded areas, some small farms dotted the landscape. The fall foliage was just beginning. The east coast had a very warm summer, so the fall colours will be a little later. Here and another area I visited should be very colourful by next weekend which is when Canada celebrates Thanksgiving.  

Six hours after leaving I had my first glimpse of the famous ‘Rocher Percé’ (in English it means “pierced rock.”, and Bonaventure Island. While I have seen many photos of Percé, I was in awe of its immense size which hundreds of years ago was part of the headland seen today.

We arrived just in time for a quick pit stop before heading out on an hour boat tour around the rock and the island. There was an extremely ominous looking sky over us. My brother and I stayed up on the deck (I don’t do well inside on small boats when seas are rough). We travelled toward the rock, then right and around the other side before turning toward the island.
It is one of the largest and most spectacular natural arches in the world. It is a massive limestone stack 433 metres (1420 ft) long, 90 metres (296 ft) wide, and 88 metres (289 ft) at its highest point. The rock gets its name from a large 15 metre (50 ft) high arch near its seaward end. (Ref.2)

I hope the following pictures give you some idea of the size and grandeur of the ‘Rocher Percé’.

My first glimpse of Percé from about 3 miles away.

Our boat

The headland to which the rock was once a part of.

Comparison view of Percé and boats nearby. The blue and white one is simila to one we were on. I didn't do a head count, but I would say we were 20 or so people.

Far left view

Toward right end

More to come  :nod2
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »
More from boat trip around Percé Rock

The view through the 'pierced' rock.   That is Bonaventure Island you can see through the arch way.

The separate piece

As we headed for ‘île Bonaventure (Bonaventure Island) the heavens opened. Soon my brother and I were 2 of 6 brave souls who remained up on the deck. Wind blowing, and the hard rain 'bucketed' down on us. :biggrin6

Next up - Bonaventure Island
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!
Jean, California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 08:56:53 PM »
The view going around Bonaventure Island was tricky.  I was trying to keep myself and my camera dry under a rain jacket which was no mean feat. I also had to keep my feet under me. My brother and i were leaning against a railing in the corner of the top deck.

The island is roughly circular in shape, it has an area measuring 4.16 square kilometers (1.61 sq mi) and since 1919 has been a migratory bird sanctuary, with 293 different species of birds having been recorded as visiting, migrating to, or living there. (1)

References for the island:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonaventure_Island
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_national_de_l%27%C3%AEle-Bonaventure-et-du-Rocher-Perc%C3%A9][url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_national_de_l%27%C3%AEle-Bonaventure-et-du-Rocher-Perc%C3%A9
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Gannet
4. http://nature.ca/notebooks/english/gannet.htm
5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Puffin

The island has two distinct and different facades.  One is the limestone cliff side with multiple outcroppings, nooks and crannies. The shoreline is ragged, steep and eroded by the elements. Along the top you can see greenery and there is a fenced off walking area. At one area I saw steps going up; but I don't know if they are the ones leading to walkway.  I think those are on the other side of the island. It was very hard to hear the commentary above the wind and my French is not what it was 22 years ago.

This side of the island is home an immense colony of Northern Gannets (3) estimated to be 110,000-125,000) and Atlantic Puffins (4) as well as other birds. If you are lucky you may also see grey seals frolicking in the waters.

I was blown away by the number of gannets on the rock face.  Gannet pairs may remain together over several seasons. The Northern Gannet, with a 2 m (6.5 ft.) wingspan, is the largest seabird that breeds in Canadian waters. Northern Gannets feed primarily on surface-dwelling fish, such as herring and mackerel. To catch them, a gannet will dive from heights up to about 43 m (141 ft.), plummeting into the water at great speed and with considerable force. The bird's skull is especially strong, and a system of air sacs also helps to absorb the shock of these plunges. (4)

Worn by elements

Shoreline

Walkway along the escarpment

These two photos are from my brother's visit there in Sept. 2008

Northern Gannet Colony

Grey Seals (I did some but I elected to keep my feet under me as boat rocking too much for non-blurred photo)

Northern Gannet I was so pleased I managed this photo, as they dive so quickly next to impossible to catch them on the water.

The rain stopped as we rounded the island to the other side. This side is treed with a large meadow.  Folks who lived  here years ago were either farmers of fishermen. Some of the old houses remain on the island. From May to October boats will take people to the wharf and they can spend the day walking around the island and up to and along the escarpment walk.

View to shore and out hotel (red and white)

More > > > >

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
Then it was time to head back to shore and check into a our hotel for dinner and overnight stay.

The red and white building is where we stayed, beautiful grounds, a boardwalk and a delicious dinner.

But before dinner I went for a walk along the boardwalk and watched the surf.

Building on the headland  No-one could tell me if it was lived in, a museum or  :question

Playground with either canoes or more likely kayaks

Heading to low tide

Surf's Up   :eclol

A guest at the hotel

View from my room

Bonaventure Island from my deck

A truly wonderful day and I was so fortunate to go visit the area.  But that was only half of our trip around the peninsula; but the most memorable part of the trip.

Online Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 11:03:49 PM »
BBE, your story and the photos you took on your most recent trip are wonderful!  It's such a pleasure to read your descriptions and see the pictures that go with them!  Thank you for sharing this very interesting and scenic area with us.  I'm glad that you included a picture of the 'pierced' rock with the boats in front, for comparison's sake.   :nod2

Do the gannets lay eggs there?  If so, I wonder how they keep the eggs from rolling off the cliffs?!   :puzzled2

You have the makings of some great jigsaw puzzles among the photos you posted!   :thumbup:

:clap
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »
BBE,

Thank you for the wonderful travelogue! Fantastic views and story. You are dear to share with us.

:heart
Rajame
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 12:52:45 AM »
Wow, wow, gorgeous scenery. Were you close enough to see a puffin? 
The rock face is so intriguing, and of course the pierce. 
beth
from California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »
Ann, wonderful photos and descriptions. I got the Google maps out and followed your journey. I have no knowledge of this area - it looks very beautiful. I've been from New York up the Hudson River, through Lake Champlain, but only as far as Montreal. The Perce rock is incredible, majestic. Where did you go from there, or did you just make your way back along the route you took to get there?
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG