Author Topic: Travel  (Read 90809 times)

Online madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
Re: Travel
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »
Lovely foldi!  I have taken that trip a few times and never fail to marvel at the spectacular scenery.  Looks like you had great weather too! 

The Moraine Lake and Lake Louise views are often seen as illustrations in 'Canadian Rockies' Calendars - and the water really is that colour!  When we lived in Alberta and visited the coast in the summer, we used to regularly return through Valemount in late August and stop to check the salmon spawning in the river there after their long, long journey from the ocean.  It was a very moving sight - and the eagles and bears would be gathered there along with the tourists.   :eceek

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline lookylo

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
Foldi your photos are beautiful.  Great captures of scenery and nature. What a lovely trip you must have had! :ecsmile

Looky
Just say yes!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »
Foldi, what a wonderful trip!  I love your pictures and want to see more!!  Thanks for letting us take a look.  :eclove   That is one of my favorite areas and brings back nice memories...except Lake Louise had on her grey shawl the day we were there.  You got very nice color!!  She was wearing her best dress for you.  :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
Foldi such beautiful photos. They bring back memories for me of a 7 day bus trip with my Mother in 1972,  from Edmonton to Vancouver. Moraine Lake is one of my favourites too and Lake Louise with the majestic backdrop of Mount Victoria.

Thank you for sharing your photos with us.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
Foldi, absolutely beautiful pics and thank you for sharing!! I too hope there is a part 2.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
Beautiful, foldi.  It is quite a few years since my last trip through there but it is just as beautiful as ever.  Thanks for the trip with you.

Tigerlady - you said Lake Louise had on her grey shawl the day you were there.  The first time I saw Lake Louise (except for the ubiquitous pictures on postcards and calendars) was in winter with snow on the mountains and the lake was a sheet of white.  It looked so small that way without reflections and a blue sky and I was disappointed.  
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
Yes, BBE.  I was disappointed, too.  The lake always seems to be a beautiful color that is unreal in pictures, as you mentioned, but it was overcast that day.  We had a nice time...I was there with my DH, so we walked around inside the hotel and I think we had lunch either there or some place close by.  

Foldi took some lovely photos.   :nod2  Did you see any wildlife in addition to the cute ground squirrels, Foldi?

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline fol-di-rol

Canadian Rockies Tour - August 2010
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
sorry to disappoint - but there is no part 2 of the trip  :sad

it was only 4 days, and the first was too smoky from the forest fires, and the last was totally wet - in fact the rain started while we were still in Banff, so we were lucky to get the pictures we did

as for the wildlife - yes, we did see lots of elk and deer, but only from a distance and from a moving coach, so no pictures other than the ground squirrels 

I will have more to say about the wildlife situation in a future message, but I have to do some research first

It is such a pity that this area of the Forum has been so under-utilized - it would be wonderful to see more pictures and descriptions of Members' vacations and travels here - so come on folks, let's have some more!

fol-di-rol

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »
Foldi nice clear pics got dizzy looking down the canyons, lol.
 Very sad how little of the ice field is left, did you see the dated markers of how much they've disappeared over the years, already looks less than when i was there a few years ago. :ecsad

Hopefully your post will be more members travel stories forward.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:23:49 AM »
The Icefields were bigger when we were there.  It doesn't seem possible that it's been about 25 years!  LOL

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 09:24:51 AM »
Foldi, did you see the PM I sent you?   :ecsmile

Offline baysis

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »
Foldi - absolutely fantastic to see pictures of where I will be visiting in just over 5 weeks time!  :biggrin3  Hope you get my PM
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand (Confucius)

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 01:55:58 PM »
baysis

You will be just in time for the fall colours in the Rockies!   :ecsmile

(Don't forget to post pictures here.  :nod2)
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »

Video:  Tahoe City

We drove up to Tahoe City (North Lake Tahoe) and spent the night at the Cottage Inn.  Very sweet log cabins with fireplaces.  Just steps away to the Lake.  Fragrant, tall pine trees, birds singing, chipmunks scurrying on the ground, swimming, fishing.  I made this video for friends who are looking for a place to stay, for a few days, in Tahoe City.  Each cottage has a different theme, and ours was "Old Fishing Hole."  :D
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »
Beans, it looks like a very nice place to stay.  Peaceful and beautiful!   :ecsmile  Did you take any photos while you were there?