Author Topic: Travel  (Read 85539 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Travel
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »

Post your photos and stories here  :ecsmile
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Travel
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
Oh Beans, what fun this thread will be!  I can't wait to see what our Forum Friends post here!  :binocs
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
Thank you beans, this should be a fun place to talk about our trips and travels. I live in London, England and last weekend we took a 4 hour flight to a small island called Tenerife which is in the Spanish Canary Islands off the coast of Africa, looking for some sunshine and warmth.

Belonging to the Canary Island group, Tenerife is a unique volcanic island which is one of the largest of its kind in the world. Home to the dormant Mount El Teide volcano with lunar like landscapes.

The imposing Mount El Teide which rises 3,718 metres (12,100ft) above sea level is Spain's highest mountain. Mount El Teide is set amidst the 18,900 hectare Teide National Park which boasts of spectacular flora and fauna that call this part of Tenerife home.

Here is a map to show where I live in the UK and where the islands are in relation to Africa and two photos.

We didn't go to the top of the volcano, (although I have been before and suffered altitude sickness due to the speed which we attained 12,100 ft by car and cable car), but we drove for a long time and I thought we were nearly at the summit this time.

I looked out to sea and saw the Island of La Gomera in the distance (see island below clouds) - you can see how high up we were.. then I looked behind me thinking the summit of the volcano would be nearby - only to see it in the distance and so much higher still.

The volcano in the distance:

Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
Real cool Laurad i would love to see some more picturs of this island. Lucky you, beautiful.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:38:03 PM »
beans, this will be a fun place to check out where folks go and what they see.

Laurad, the access to the volcano goes on and on. Does anyone ever reach the top? One would need to be in peak condition.

I'll be sure to take photos of the snow covered landscape where I'll be for Christmas: Edmonton and Jasper, in the next door province of Alberta.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:35:01 AM »
Yes, you can get right up to the edge of the crater. I did so about 4 years ago and no, I didn't walk!!  :eclol You drive most of the way, then there is a scary cable car up the rest of the way. Quite often there is snow at the top and there was a thick layer of it when we got there last time. I found I couldn't breathe and my heart felt funny - I couldn't walk around and had to come down right away. This time we didn't go up to the top.. that photos shows how close we got to it though.

It's a pretty island, a bit barren in some places and in others very lush. They grow a particular type of banana there - it's very small, not like the usual bananas.

Can't wait to see your photos of Edmonton, BBE.
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:05:19 AM »
I've had the good fortune to be able to travel to China a number of times and it's always been a wonderful and varied experience.

These are a few photos I've taken during two different trips there:

This beautiful tree was in front of a Buddhist temple I visited in Beijing, China (April, 2006)

A very common scene in communities in China.  This was in Beijing.  (April, 2006)

My teaching partner and some of our students in An Shang Village, China (Sept., 2007)

We had a lot of fun with our students (Sept., 2007)

My teaching partner leading our Chinese students in a map drill, using North, East, South and West compass points in oral English and “Total Physical Response” activities as students move to show that they understand.  (Sept., 2007)

A hard-working farmer in the rural farm village where I taught and lived for three weeks in An Shang Village, China (Sept., 2007)  He was a very nice man and allowed me to take his picture on several different days as he walked back and forth to and from the fields he farmed.

© C. Golliher 2006-2009   All rights reserved

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »
Thank you for sharing your rich stories and personal experiences.  Great pictures too!  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline dotwad

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »
ok i will try to post some of my photos from the punta cana beach where we go to on holiday but i cant get it to load any.does any one know how to do this.i have tried to click on the load image button, but nothing happens.

Offline dotwad

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »
thank you very much booni for all your help, i would not have got it figured out with out you, you are one special lady.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
Fabulous Dodwad!  Thank you for sharing with us.

Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline fol-di-rol

Canadian Rockies Tour - August 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 04:16:13 PM »
Some pictures from a recent coach tour of the Canadian Rockies:  

http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq195/pb_swmbo/Canadian%20Rockies%20-%20August%202010/?albumview=slideshow

fol-di-rol

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
foldi, that link is to your account and wants me to log in (which of course is not what I want to do)

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »
Hi Nancym

Try this now - I have made it Public rather than Private, so I hope this makes it more accessible.

fol-di-rol

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 08:34:18 PM »
Oh, my, foldi!  those are really beautiful pictures ... only problem was that there are not enough of them. I hope Part 2 is coming?