Author Topic: Wildlife in the News  (Read 73093 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Wildlife in the News
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
Such an unfortunate and tragic event.  Last year a friend in US had the opportunity of visiting 'Dr. Jim'. She was entranced by the elephants and spoke very highly of Dr. Jim and the work he was doing.

He will be missed. 
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »
New controversy over Malta's bird slaughter

LINK:  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/27/birds-slaughter-malta-karmenu-vella-europe-environment-commissioner

Island MP Karmenu Vella nominated as European commissioner to head green policies, including wildlife protection

by Robin McKie, science editor
The Observer, Saturday 27 September 2014 15.31 EDT

Karmenu Vella has unusual credentials for a man selected to be the next European commissioner for the environment. The 64-year-old politician is a long-serving member of Malta's Labour government, which is accused of direct involvement in the widespread slaughter of birdlife on the island – including many endangered species.

Every spring and autumn, thousands of migratory birds – including quails, song thrushes and brood eagles – pass over Malta as they fly between northern Europe and Africa, only to be greeted by thousands of local hunters who gather in trucks bearing slogans like "If it flies it dies". They duly open fire on the birds.

"Turtle doves have suffered a catastrophic decline in western Europe, including Britain. Yet the Maltese government continues to allow them to be shot in their thousands every year," said Andre Farrar of the RSPB. "This slaughter has widespread implications and involves dozens of rare species, many of them regular visitors to the British Isles."

Campaigners say Malta's bird culls, which have intensified over the last two years, have been specifically encouraged by its Labour government. For example, new rules have extended shooting curfews, which previously limited the hours when hunters are permitted to fire at birds each day. Such moves have helped make Malta the ecological pariah of Europe.

The prospect of Vella – a leading member of the Labour party – being put in charge of the European commission's environment portfolio, which has specific responsibility for birdlife and its habitats, has horrified green groups, campaigners and wildlife protection organisations.

Vella's candidacy has also alarmed MEPs, who will subject him to intense cross-examination over his involvement in the bird culls on Monday. Many also fear that the newly elected commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, is planning to weaken the powers of Europe's environment directorate and that Vella has been selected specifically to implement these changes.

"To give the nature brief to a politician from Malta, where such wildlife abuses occur, has a very suspicious smell, particularly against a background in which Europe seems to be contemplating a weakening of its environmental controls, despite their great success in the past," said Farrar.

This point is backed by Steve Micklewright, head of Birdlife Malta. "Twenty years ago, there were quite a number of places in Europe where the slaughters of migratory birdlife took place," he told the Observer. "They were held in parts of France, Spain and Italy. Thanks to Europe's bird directive, that situation has improved greatly. We still have the slaughter in Malta and there are also problems in Cyprus, but things are undoubtedly better. However, by putting Vella in charge of an environment directorate that is threatened with reduced powers, a very worrying message is being sent to the rest of Europe."

The Maltese government has said it will hold a referendum on whether it should continue to allow the annual bird shoots. The current autumn cull has been suspended following outbreaks of violence between bird watchers and hunters. "It would have looked very bad if these battles were going on while Vella was being grilled by MEPs," said Micklewright. "So there has been a temporary suspension. It won't last long."

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »
I checked Jackie Hildering's blog tonight (thank you Sandor for introducing me to the Marine Detective). There's an article about a some recent research on Orcas.
Click here to see the posting.

Be sure to click on the link to the videos of the Orcas, seen from high above, swimming as a clan, so close together as to be touching at times. I found it extremely moving. I could almost feel how it would be, being them.

Offline Sandor3

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:16 AM »
You are very welcome, Winterwren.  We are getting pretty excited about our trip with Jackie and her crew on Saturday with the Marine Education Research Society!  Received a note from her yesterday advising to be prepared for any and all weather....that's pretty much a given on ANY day this time of year.  If I get some decent photos, will post.  I think it was on Tuesday (on her fb page) a group of 20 or so resident orcas were in the area....have fingers and toes crossed that they will still be in the area on Saturday!

Also check out pacificwild.org for beautiful photos and videos from the Great Bear Raincoast...they have remote cameras around to observe wildlife...I particularly enjoy the fish eating wolves...would love to see a Kermode!
"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2014, 09:29:38 AM »
I saw this video of a Barnacle Gosling's fledge down a cliff somewhere in the arctic, and was so amazed by it, I thought everyone would be as amazed as I!  Little fella survives his terrifying plunge!
 http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141020-chicks-tumble-of-terror-filmed

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:13 AM »
Yikes ...then he shakes it off & has a scratch. Tough little birds.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »
I thought I'd share this article from one of our local papers.  It was re-printed in Victoria's Times Colonist this weekend.  It got my attention because of the mention of the Swainson's Thrush which we occasionally hear on our Hornby cam, and which I have seen and heard occasionally in my yard.

'Urbanized' songbirds adapting
Two-year study in Oceanside finds small forests and greenspaces can be effective

Songbirds seem to be making effective use of protected areas and managed greenspaces in Oceanside, according to a recently completed scientific study.

… For more than two years ornithologist Christopher Stephens has been studying a small brown migratory songbird named Swainson's Thrush in two large forest areas (the Englishman River estuary and Rathtrevor Provincial Park) and two small forest areas

… The idea was to determine the effect of forest size on bird populations and to help park managers, builders and community planners make bird-friendly and ecosystem-friendly choices.

… "Songbirds are a good indicator of the overall health of the forest ecosystem," Stephens said.

- See more at: http://www.oceansidestar.com/news/urbanized-songbirds-adapting-1.1723890#sthash.hqWmPcxd.dpuf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swainson%27s_thrush

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline linused

« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
Very interesting article Madrona, especially about the Swainson's Thrush.  There is a mixed forest behind my property where I hear them during the summer and encounter these birds along the power lines where there is a lot of berry type bushes as well as willow. I love their distinctive song  Thanks for the article

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
Snowy Owl caught on traffic cam
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
In today's Globe and Mail I saw these unique photos of a Snowy Owl captured on traffic cam in Montreal.  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/traffic-camera-captures-snowy-owl-in-flight-over-icymontreal/article28049206/

The traffic cameras of the Quebec Transport Department normally help travellers check how congested highways are. But last Sunday morning, one camera in the western part of the Montreal island caught a delightful sight: A snowy owl flying by in close quarters. Quebec Transport Minister Robert Poλti, who released the images Thursday on Facebook, said the pictures were taken on Highway 40, near Sources Boulevard.

The Globe and Mail Last updated: Thursday, Jan. 07, 2016 1:03PM EST 

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
Thanks madrona!  Bet that made someone monitoring the cams sit straight up in their chair!  Beautiful owl. :heart

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:09 AM »

Offline gzebear

« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2016, 03:50:37 AM »

In the Bizarre News Department, today is the day for the 5th Annual Crow Hunt in Montour Falls, NY. Whoever shoots the most crows wins a prize.

Here's the link: http://millporthuntingandfishingclub.com/event/5th-annual-crow-hunt-2/

And here is the contact info, just in case anyone besides me feels a need to protest:

Millport Hunting & Fishing Club
PO Box 111
Millport, NY 14864

Email: millportclub@juno.com

Phone: 607-425-6018 or 607-535-9114 ... or better yet, both.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2016, 11:00:09 AM »
Jeff - I hope you are paying attention!!

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »
Having lived in MD until last year for most of my life, this story caught my attention.  Unfortunately, for the wrong reasons however.  There is still a lot of work to be done.  So sad. :ecsad

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/13-bald-eagles-found-dead-maryland-farm-n523696

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
I just came here to post about the same story Birdvoyer posted about. Such sad news. Saw it here today. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/02/160222-13-dead-eagles-eastern-shore-maryland/?sf21548244=1

I fear rodenticides or some other toxin or lead?  Hope they find the answer.  Very disturbing.  :sigh
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)