Author Topic: Wildlife Freedom (New Jersey)  (Read 29477 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Wildlife Freedom (New Jersey)
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »
Nan, good for you and congratulations for all you are doing for wildlife. Love  all the photos, especially Mr. Fox, why is he not releaseable?

Keep up the great work.   :hearts2
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline nan2945

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »
mr. fox is blind in one eye - and he has really bonded with a few humans ---have a few ideas about where he might go to have some fox company .....will post if things change......He whines for petting and scratching from the 3 of us he has decided to trust and bond with .

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
Nan i'm a bit confused as to mr fox, is he still in rehab?

Offline nan2945

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »
mr. fox cannot be released........he is in a large enclosure - and I'm trying to see if a wolf preserve that also has a few foxes will take him.........

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
thanks Nan, it probably would be nice for Mr Fox to have some of his own kind to hang with. Althrough you will all miss him. Good luck with finding him a nice home. :ecsmile

Offline nan2945

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »
those of us - another volunteer and myself - and dee - the rescuer - love mr. fox but we know what would be good for him.....we'll see what I can do

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 06:34:12 AM »
The picture shows another fox being released... Yes?  And hence some confusion
beth
from California

Offline nan2945

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
3 young foxes were released and there is another waiting to be big enough to be set free---actually another came in with mange - not sure when it will be well enough to go--haven't gotten a look at it yet

So --- as of today --waiting for release -- about 3 skunks, about 3 squirrels, one gray fox, one opossum if it recovers from animal attack, 12 fawns

helping Lysa (animal control agent) with a kitty adoption tomorrow at Petco - this will also be a first --
It's a good thing I don't have allergies to animals

Offline ccfan

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »
We lost most of our foxes to mange here and see them only rarely now...seems the same fate is culling the coyotes too since we have been overrun by rabbits for the second year in a row.  Our dog actually had two botfly larvae this year...botflys lay their eggs around rabbit holes and the rabbits are hosts to them.  Lucy was in the wrong place at the wrong time but she is okay now.
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline nan2945

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
mange - ugh----we have a coyote and fox being treated for mange ---hopefully they will do well enough to be released one of these days ---the fox is really little tho - and I'm not sure about the coyote ---

quite a few little squirrels have come in but many of them have not made it ---I'll have to ask what the normal level of loss is.......

good news - 7 fawns released into the woods last night

Offline ccfan

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 05:47:54 AM »
Nan,
I did not know squirrels got mange too.  Our squirrel population has decreased too but I was thinking it was due to a very bad year for acorns last year.  :ecsad
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline nan2945

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
sorry - didn't mean to confuse - the squirrels didn't have mange - that was one little red fox and the coyote ---both are doing well so far

we don't know what happened with several squirrels

Offline nan2945

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »
Well I'm back with an update- all fawns but the last little one in have been released deep in the woods as have 3 foxes, numerous raccoons and a bunch of squirrels.  Next to be released - the coyote who had come in skinny and mangy (pix attached below)  the gray fox - who is just gorgeous - two skunks - So we'll be left with the young fawn, two little raccoons, 2 peacocks, a young red fox whose mange isn't completely gone yet - and whatever else arrives now--This is in addition to the resident horses and donkey, guinea hens, peking ducks, geese, chickens, turkeys, and various dogs and cats that arrive regularly and more often than any of them are adopted - Yesterday a young female cat was picked up with a huge hole in her chest - no clue how it happened - she acted pretty normal --was taken to the vet---She has been surgically treated, immunized and tonight I'll pick her up and take her to a friend's place for recovery----Then she will need a home.....Horrible horrible injury - and apparently she is a sweetheart -and eating well and acting well---bizarre......
Oh back to the coyote- here's his pic

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »
What a great place, no animal left behind.  :heart Beautiful coyote.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 05:02:20 PM »
oh my.. look at those eyes  :eceek :heart :heart :heart