Author Topic: Wildlife Freedom (New Jersey)  (Read 29478 times)

Offline gzebear

Re: Wildlife Freedom (New Jersey)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »
In addition to donations, Avian Haven has received some grant money for construction of our pool enclosure - takes a little research to find the grants, then you write a proposal and wait. So you may not have the time for it, but it's one way to get large chunks of money for a worthwhile cause.

Another idea is to find community members that might contribute fairly large sums. It's hard to raise $10K with $20 donations. Some prominent families have family foundation money to donate to community projects. Ask do-gooder organizations if they would like to help. It's a great idea - surely the money will come.

Offline nan2945

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
thanks gze - stuff to think about ----any info on the rigid plastic pools with drains???

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »
PR always helps - a story in the newspaper, local TV, etc.  Maybe a supplier would donate product, if not cash?

Offline PamNY

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
Publicity is a great idea. Good luck with the quest.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 06:31:44 AM »
Nan ... neglected to get a photo of ours but wrote down the name of it - Step 2, Big Splash Center - and googled it:

Unfortunately, I see this item has been discontinued by the manufacturer but you might be able to find a used one. Right now, ours is in with a Great Blue Heron youngster. I drained, cleaned and refilled it yesterday - very easy. (Then we put live fish in it, but I left before she found them!)

Here are some for sale: http://for-sale.yakaz.com/step-2-big-splash-center  I see there is one in Mantua, NJ!

Offline nan2945

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »
thanks--doesn't look like that will work - but I have a call in to a local who has the right equipment to dredge the pond--I am doing a mailing, if Dee okays it - to her mailing list - offering to match donations up to a certain amount---and after that I have to find a way to get dog food donations for her daughter - who does animal control......oh my what have I gotten myself into?

Offline gzebear

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 08:26:54 AM »
Don't look now Nan, but you have gotten yourself into the incredible world of wildlife rehab, where your heart soars and breaks - pretty much on a daily basis - and you work really hard, asking nothing in return but receiving so much. Thank you for being a part of it - I love knowing you care enough to jump in.

We also have large in-ground tubs with a drain - they are permanently installed and also quite easy to clean. The drain is in a covered 'well' beside the pool. Uncover the hatch, open the drain - water just flows out into the woods - then clean, close drain and refill with hose. They are mostly gray in color. We put rocks in them for birds like eagles. Let me know if you want particulars on these large tubs. And of course, our new pool house will have 5 large tubs of varying sizes, not the same as the ones we already have.

Or you could contact Diane at Avian Haven for more information about the tubs we use: http://www.avianhaven.org/contacts.html Just tell her what you are trying to do - I'm sure she will have excellent suggestions.

Offline nan2945

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »

some of the critters I help with - the guinea hen chick is recently out of the egg
mr. fox is fabulous - not releasable unfortunately
the duck and turkey are sitting on someone's eggs - probably not fertile
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:15:08 AM by NancyM »

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
terrific pics, nan!  especially the first one

took me a bit to figure out the duck  :doh

Offline nan2945

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

this fawn arrived from a vet's office about a week ago - she is really little --really alert - likes to nuzzle - and guzzles 2 bottles at a time

Offline nan2945

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »

Offline ccfan

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
 :heart NAN :heart
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline nan2945

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
Tonight was great - we took 4 fawns, 3 raccoons, and 3 red foxes deep into the woods and released them all.....
What a great sight - first 3 foxes took off in a straight line --then 3 raccoons  - somewhat reluctantly left their carriers and headed off - and finally 4 fawns took off together -------yahoo!!! ---tomorrow probably more fawns.....

What a great sight ---not conducive to photos tho....I have one --- a blur but better than none.......

More to come.......

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
oh, that's terrific, nan - you are seeing the best part (releases)!

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
I have to say Terrific ! Too! I love foxes...and to see this one running to its new life...... :eclove

Thank you
beth
from California