Author Topic: Laurens Wildlife Rescue (Georgia)  (Read 10543 times)

Offline PamNY

Laurens Wildlife Rescue (Georgia)
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
Through the NYU hawk chat, I've gotten to know a wonderful wildlife rehabber in south Georgia. Her weekly newsletter brings fascinating tales of heartbreak and joy as she works with raptors, songbirds, turtles -- even a beaver.  

She single-handedly runs Laurens Wildlife Rescue, and takes care of most of the raptors and songbirds needing rehab in the southern half of the state (about 29,500 square miles). Her intakes come from everywhere within that region: Macon, Warner Robins,  Milledgeville and all points south, near AL line, near FL line, near SC line, coast, and everywhere in between. The demands on her time, energy and finances are extraordinary.

Of the raptor rehabbers in the southern part of her state, she's the only one who is active right now. One has health problems, and one is a vet who only triages and transfers animals elsewhere. The same is true for songbirds.

She's recently announced a funding crisis -- her intake is way up this year, and she will run out of money at the end of June.  Without her services, there will be no help available for wildlife in a large part of Georgia.

She's set up a fundraiser at http://www.gofundme.com/ryjb4 with a goal of $1200. If anyone is able to help, I know she'd be grateful.  

Her newsletters are fascinating  -- here's the current one, which describes the financial issues and contains photos and stories of her "clients."  

http://www.laurenswildliferescueinc.org/this-week-in-wildlife.html

If you have friends or relatives in south Georgia who might be interested, why not send them the link to her newsletter?  The more local awareness and support she has, the better!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:09:14 AM by NancyM »

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Re: Laurens Wildlife Rescue
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »
Pam, many thanks for bringing Lauren to our attention.  She is doing a huge job, all on her own, and apparently on a tiny shoestring budget. I hope she gets enough funding to continue past the end of the month!

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »

Miigwetch Pam!!  Lauren can sure use the help of ALL of us!!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline PamNY

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone for taking an interest. She's exceeded her goal -- I'm sure it will all be put to good use. 

Oh, and Laurens is actually the name of the county she's in -- everyone assumes Lauren is her name (as I did for a long time, and I used to live in Georgia and should have figured it out!). 

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
WOW - a single donor contributed $1000 to her !  I hope additional individuals will continue to take an interest and follow her work.  Her goal was very modest, I'm sure she (like other rehabbers) could use additional help.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
PamNY, thanks for letting us know about her.  I'm very glad to see she's more than reached her goal, because you helped us know about her work and her needs in order to keep her doors open, and thanks to Ajl for vouching for her as a rehabber.   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
Wonderful that through so many generous people that Lauren is able to carry on her good work with somewhat less stress. :chick

Offline PamNY

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »
Here is her latest newsletter -- she always has great photos and interesting stories about the wildlife in her care  (including a gorgeous redtail hawk baby).

http://www.laurenswildliferescueinc.org/this-week-in-wildlife.html

"Baby season" is so busy for rehabbers -- I'm very happy that she has funding.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
The rehabber at Laurens Wildlife Rescue wrote this at the beginning of her June 30, 2012 newsletter (link posted above by PamNY).

“I get by with a little help from my friends…”

06/30/2012

"A huge and heartfelt thank you to all who donated to keep LWR in operation. Your generosity raised $2678 in less than a week, and on behalf of all the critters who will benefit from your largesse, again, thank you!..."

<snip>

[I added Bold type added for emphasis.  TL]
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gzebear

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18:45 AM »
One of the benefits of sleeplessness - getting caught up in ONZ. Thank you Pam for bringing us Laurens Wildlife Rescue. I believe the rehabber's name is Vonda Lee Morton. I loved reading some of her stories and seeing her photos. I especially enjoyed the one about helping the little gosling hatch - that is dedication. Will send some $$ for rodent restocking.

Her extensive blog archives are loaded with stories and photos - I look forward to reading more about LWR ... thanks again.

Offline PamNY

Re: Laurens Wildlife Rescue (Georgia)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »
Vonda has some happy news -- releasing lots of songbirds!

http://www.laurenswildliferescueinc.org/2/post/2012/07/a-week-of-releases.html

Offline gzebear

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:39:41 AM »
Wonderful! That's what it's all about ... oh, how those releases help us keep the faith. :nod2

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
Kudos to Laurens wildlife, nice to see rehabs helping the song birds. :heart

Offline PamNY

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »
Here is Vonda's latest newsletter from Laurens Wildlife Rescue. As always, both happy and sad news. She writes so well, and her photos are great.

http://www.laurenswildliferescueinc.org/2/post/2012/12/twas-the-week-before-christmas.html

Offline PamNY

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
I realized it's been a while since I posted one of Vonda's newsletters. She has some adorable young squirrels in rehab.

http://www.laurenswildliferescue.org/2/post/2013/10/can-you-handle-more-flyer-cuteness.html