Author Topic: Sights & News From Other Reserves: Dec. 2011 -  (Read 251846 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Sights & News From Other Reserves: Dec. 2011 -
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »
Tara's great adventure in Kruger National Park.  She had a fantastic time with her friends Penny and Joe.  She has posted some awesome photos from the drive they were on. Tara's Magnificent Trip to Kruger.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »
BBE, thank you for posting Tara's wonderful blog!  She really is a good story teller and photographer.  I wonder if Penny is the lady who owns the swim school in KZN?  She and her husband often go to Kruger for several weeks at a time.

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:36:43 PM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »
Hi Tigerlady, I think Penny is the lady who owns / is associated with a swim school. But where I don't know; what does 'KZN' stand for?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
KZN = Kwa Zulu Natal, along the east coast of Africa, BBE.  That must be the same Penny.  She owns a swim school and teaches lessons there.  She's very nice and a strong wildlife supporter.  She was a chatter on the Djuma game safari jigga when I was there in past seasons.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:37:26 PM by BBE »

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
Thanks Tiger for the answer re 'KZN'.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:44 AM »
You're welcome, BBE!  It's on the east coast of Africa, near South Africa.  Penny and her husband like to travel around Africa, primarily in Kruger National Park, for two or more weeks when her swim school is closed for vacation breaks.  They have gone to additional wonderful wildlife-rich areas in other African countries, but seem to come back to Kruger as a favorite place.   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:38:07 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:50 PM »
A quick drop in with three updates re Tara:

Updates x 2 from Jan. 31, 2012:

1. Farewell, But Not Goodbye

2. From her FB page:
Can't believe it is the last day in the sands. The car is packed. I will be leaving in the next hour or so. Tears are finally allowed to flow. It is such mixed emotions but there is joy at the excitement of the new adventure and at least it will not be the last time I will in the sands. I am moving to the camp to learn the ropes etc before I start properly in April. I will be posting about the camp progress etc and about the research and how you can help and get involved soon. X

Update from Feb 2, 2012 on her FB page

Tara's FB page  or if you can't read the page this is what she wrote:
Tara Pirie
Thank you all so much for the well wishes! I have arrived safely and have been settling in. I have taken pictures and hope to show you where I am staying until the volunteer camp is completed! :) Great news on the rhino poachers getting 25 years! AND I saw Patrick as I was leaving! Great to see him looking well!! :)

I haven't had time as yet (and won't for a few days) to find the news about the Rhino poachers.

:ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 02:24:08 AM »
Congratulations to Sebastien   :thumbup:  :clap   :biggrin6

Seb is now working for Will Fox as Course Director at the Black Leopard Film Campus. He has done some major projects as well as being at WE.

Two links are: Introducing Sebastien Rombi, and Black Leopard Film Campus.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
BBE, that's a fascinating new opportunity for Seb to use his film-making skills and love of wildlife.  I read about him and the Black Leopard Film Campus and it looks like a wonderful place for people who want to develop their skills in a beautiful setting.  What fun!  Thanks for posting the links here.   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:39:02 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
I finally found two articles about the rhino poachers each being sentenced to 25 years prison.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16833220

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Rhino-poachers-get-25-years-each-20120131

Also, Peter Braat may have a permanent repair to the 'Dam Cam' up and running in a few days. Thanks Peter  :ty   :thumbup:

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
Good news about the poachers being sentenced and a permanent Gowrie Dam cam, BBE!   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:40:02 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
The latest newsletter from Elephant Plains (EP) Game Lodge at: http://www.iscan.co.za/newsletters/general/20120207134624/20120207134624.html

The information about Elephant Plains is somewhere way back in this topic. But, I'm not going back to look for it  :eclol  

Their website: http://www.elephantplains.co.za/   This also contains the reports from the manager and ranger - bottom of the page in fine print.

Map of the area and shows where Gowrie gate is in relation to EP (far right) at: http://www.elephantplains.co.za/ep_map.htm

To receive the monthly newsletter: http://big5blog.elephantplains.co.za/wp-login.php?action=register

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »
BBE, I'm happy to see that Tara is doing well.  Her blog and photos are so welcome!   :thumbup:

Djuma really got torn up by all of the water.  Some of the land is changed so much, it will affect where and how the animals and people move around.   :nod2

Thank you for updating us!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:41:52 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »
Posted Feb. 12 on my FB News Feed.  Graham and Emily Wallington visited Pieter and Lieschen in Namibia in Dec. 2011.

Today Graham posted this almost 5 minute 3D video from the boat Pieter took them on. All with beautiful pelicans and graceful dolphins at Walvis Bay.

This is the YouTube link to the video. On the right side you will see 3D in red. Click on it and you can turn the 3D off.

Mola Mola

Graham wrote with the video post:
Emily and I went to Namibia in December to visit Pieter Pretorius and Lieschen Smith They work for the family business Mola Mola now and took us out to see the animals in the bay.

And in his other post:
We went out on a Mola Mola boat with Pieter Pretorius at Walvis Bay, Namibia. He showed us pelicans and dolphins.

Map showing Walvis Bay.

Walvis Bay, Namibia, Africa by BBE2009, on Flickr

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 12:57:17 AM »
BBE, thank you for posting the wonderful video of the boat ride with Pieter.  I had no idea that there was that large a coastal body of water there!  The dolphins really were enjoying wake-surfing!   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:46:56 PM by BBE »