Author Topic: Sights & News From Other Reserves: Dec. 2011 -  (Read 251659 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Sights & News From Other Reserves: Dec. 2011 -
« on: December 01, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
A place for sharing the sights, sounds and news from game reserves; other than Djuma Private Game Reserve.

Sabi Sand Game Reserve is a large area located in the lower third of Kruger National Park in the country of South Africa. (Limpopo Province) On this map it is the green area in the upper right. I do not know why there is a red area on this map.

Click on this photo to enlarge it.

As well as the Djuma Game Reserve, the area is comprised of many other reserves. Some of which we have heard of frequently. More commonly Nkorho, Arathusa, Londolozi, Chitwa-Chitwa, Elephant Plains, and Cheetah Plains.

Recently we have heard reports from Kapama Game Reserve. The reserve is north of the Sabi Sands area, in Limpopo province and between the Drakensberg mountains and Kruger National Park (upper third and to the west).

May 18, 2012.  Reports are filtering through from other game Reserves / Safari Lodges. The latest one being Ukumbe Safari Lodge (near MalaMala). Their web site has an incredible map with all lodges located by number HERE.  

Please include the date and a description of the sighting.
Note: If you saw a posting of an interesting photo or event on the cams Facebook page, please be sure to indicate and thank whoever took the photo.

You may also post any news (naming the source) and / or links to blogs with information related to other game reserves in South Africa.

We are most grateful to and thank the various game reserves including among others - Londolozi, Arathusa, Chitwa-Chitwa, and Kapama for providing information via blogs. Also thanks to the various reserves, and public groups who have set up pages / timelines on Facebook; which are great for trying to keep abreast of the latest information.

All images and videos posted in this topic are gratefully acknowledged and we recognize the copyright of the game reserves already mentioned. Also the many people who posted their own photos in this topic.

:ecsmile
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:33:16 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Sights & News From Other Reserves: Dec. 2011 -
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:35:59 AM »
Hello,

Just back after being away for Christmas with some of my family - great fun.  I hope all here enjoyed the week?

Found a new blog from Tara about her activities / events since she left Djuma.  
http://tara-pirie.blogspot.com/2011/12/life-in-2-extremes.html?mid=55

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
I hope you had a lovely Holiday BBE! Thank you for the blog link.

:hearts
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Welcome back, BBE!  Nice to see you had a good time with your family.  Thinks for the link to Tara's Tales!   :thumbup:  It will be interesting to find out what she ends up doing next.   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Found a new blog from Tara about her activities / events since she left Djuma.  
http://tara-pirie.blogspot.com/2011/12/life-in-2-extremes.html?mid=55

Jan. 8 ~ go back to this post as Tara has added the photos as she promised.

:sleeping

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
Today, Lieschen Smith (a.k.a Pieter Pretorious's wife) posted this photo of her 'blue-eyed 'skattebol''.  

Lieschen and Baby by BBE2009, on Flickr

'Skatebol' is an Afrikaans word  
"Skat" or diminutive form "skatjie" --> Literally "Treasure", but similar in meaning to "Darling".
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_afrikaans/slang/997988-terms_of_adoration.html

Sydney (will be a year old very soon) has her Daddy's blue eyes and no doubt has him twisted around her little finger.  :wub

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »
One of my online friends posted this - so cute  :eclove   "Wild Leopard Stores Cub In Humans Storage"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thRtDOE-w6U&feature=share

When I have time tomorrow or Sunday I will roam around the different FB pages for updates on flooding etc.

NOTE: 2 a.m. Sat. Jan. 21 see Reply # 278 below for news.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:27 PM »
Oh wow! That is some footage! Neat to hear the Mom call the cub.  :ecsmile And when the little cub was outside we could hear the cub's calls.  :eclove

Wonderful footage filmed from inside the garage at Idube Game Reserve in South Africa.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:27:11 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:35:24 AM »
Hello Tiger, I was on the go all Saturday and only accessed my computer about an hour ago.   :ty  so much for posting Tara's update.  

I am delighted that Tara will be joining the Ingwe Leopard Research.   She said sometime ago that she would love to do research on the leopards in the Sabi Sands area. She may get a chance to do this as well?

I did some looking as I recalled Will Fox and Graham Wallington being involved with the project at the start. I think Will Fox may still be?  Blogs started back in Oct. 2008 at:
http://ingweaction.blogspot.com/2008/10/welcome-to-front-line-of-leopard.html

Even Pieter (Pretorious) went down to check the site out. I remember that.

More info at:
http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/ingwe-leopards.html#c   Written by Will Fox, Ingwe Leopard Research, Manager.
 (Posted Jan. 3, 2012)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
Will Fox's post re Tara joining the team:
 http://predatorresearchnews.blogspot.com/2012/01/tara-joins-ingwe-team.html?spref=fb

And the team page update to include Tara:
http://www.researchcam.com/about_us.html

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »
Nice comments about Tara joining the Ingwe leopard project team, BBE.  Thanks for the links!   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:29:59 PM by BBE »

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
News from Leopard Hills (almost far left at top of map in first post in this topic). Lots of water, no damage, drives continued. HERE

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »
BBE, thanks for posting links and news.  I'm glad the Leopard Hills is okay.  Plenty of fish for those who live near where they are found is good news, despite all the destruction.  I'm concerned about all the wildlife that live in the area and are too small to find a safe place and/or won't find food if they do survive.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:31:28 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »
Tiger, everyone is concerned about the animals and birds, especially all the recent newborn animals.  We can but hope that they reached higher ground. As we have been told and seen over the years;  the bush has it's own rules and unfortunately nature takes its course, not always in a positive way.  But we can still 'hold our thumbs'.

Either Jan. 24 or 25th (CAT) Tara posted the following on her FB profile page
I heard Tingana (Shadow) might have given birth to her new cubs over the past few days.

Tingana is one of the twin daughters from Karula's first litter.  Last year at some point we heard that one if not both of Tingana's first cubs had died.   I she has had new cubs, I hope all goes well for her and them.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_132401603483164&ap=1#!/pages/Tara-Pirie/102620539775937

This storm is supposed to head out to sea; let's hope so.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/tropical-cyclone-funso-brings-heavy-rain-flooding-to-mozambique/2012/01/25/gIQAdnZCQQ_blog.html

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
Yes!  "Holding Thumbs!"   :heart   I hope the new babies will be okay and that the moms and (dads) can find food for them and safe places to sleep and take shelter.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:36:01 PM by BBE »